News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NYG lost a starting CB and Safety. Is there any wonder they

Started by MightyGiants, April 27, 2024, 09:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

drafted a safety and CB on day two?  It's not like they restocked in free agency
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Hadron

The Giants typically do well with certain picks in round 2: DT and safety. Here's hoping that trend continues.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 27, 2024, 09:04:11 AMdrafted a safety and CB on day two?  It's not like they restocked in free agency

I read that the Giants do not want to play Mills at safety but to have him as a more versatile piece at CB.  That left only Pinnock and Belton so the need was obvious for safety.  Phillips drafted for primarily slot but also outside on occasion is as much about his physicality as it is about his versatility. 

Trench

Quote from: Philosophers on April 27, 2024, 09:29:49 AMI read that the Giants do not want to play Mills at safety but to have him as a more versatile piece at CB.  That left only Pinnock and Belton so the need was obvious for safety.  Phillips drafted for primarily slot but also outside on occasion is as much about his physicality as it is about his versatility. 

I really like what I saw from Pinnock and the Great Dane last year. The team really missed Love however

Uncle Mickey

Been binging Nubin tape. I see little wasted motion , instinct and a very sound awareness of route concepts and leveraging. I see a guy who understands spacing, depth and angles to attack both the run and the pass. A guy who could be a day 1 starter.

Then when Saban and then Jeremiah esentially say best safety and not even close it sealed it for me.

https://athlonsports.com/college/minnesota-golden-gophers/all-gophers/football/nick-saban-labels-tyler-nubin-as-best-safety-in-the-draft

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 27, 2024, 09:04:11 AMdrafted a safety and CB on day two?  It's not like they restocked in free agency

Not for me, but I understand some fans are disappointed because the offense was so much worse than the D last year and our marquee player acquisition during free agency was defense.

For me, this team has so many needs that apart from trying to get one of the top three QBs at the top of the first round, I didn't want them to be position-driven with their draft approach. I want the best players they can possibly get.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 27, 2024, 11:24:16 AMNot for me, but I understand some fans are disappointed because the offense was so much worse than the D last year and our marquee player acquisition during free agency was defense.

For me, this team has so many needs that apart from trying to get one of the top three QBs at the top of the first round, I didn't want them to be position-driven with their draft approach. I want the best players they can possibly get.

The draft is more like a clearance sale than a supermarket.  You have to grab the guys who are of value at positions of needs.  It's not like you go down the RB aisle and find "second-round RB"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Hadron on April 27, 2024, 09:25:26 AMThe Giants typically do well with certain picks in round 2: DT and safety. Here's hoping that trend continues.
Hadron: Long time, few posts... or have I been missing them somehow?  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AZGiantFan

I like the fact that from what I am reading and see in their highlight videos (yes I know about highlight videos, but still) the both have some good run support skills, and run defense was the Giants defensive Achilles heel.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Hadron

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 27, 2024, 01:35:47 PMHadron: Long time, few posts... or have I been missing them somehow?  Bob

Been busy with work!

Draft season is always hit or miss with me so my participation tends to fluctuate, especially when it comes to players that I don't follow.

TDToomer

The Giants formula in the secondary seems to be draft a player and play him right away so he gets burned and struggles while the fans complain.

Then year 2-3 that player becomes a solid starter. Fans love him.

Then year 4 that player makes a few bad plays and complains that he hasn't been extended. Fans turn on him and complain that he will cost too much to resign.

Year 5 that players leaves and we start the whole process over again and ignore other positions of need like Running Back.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs