News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The NFL is going to play games on a Wednesday (Christmas)

Started by MightyGiants, March 26, 2024, 12:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

I guess even the Players Association can be- has been- bought.

Cheers!

President Rick

IMO Charlie Brown might think this is making Christmas just a tad too commercialized...but.....
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

No big deal, games near the end of December aren't important.  /sarcasm/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Christmas day games was one thing.  Going out of their way to put them on a Wednesday is completely different.

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

I'm going to take a contrarian viewpoint on this.

I don't really see an issue here myself. What exactly are people doing on Christmas afternoon? Presents and church services are all an AM/mid-day thing, no? I am not religious as an adult, but I did go to church and Sunday school as a kid, and I was confirmed. Never once in my life do I recall an afternoon on Christmas day being some big deal with lots of obligations. If anything, Christmas afternoon (2pm-6pm) was kind of dull. As a kid, I may have been busy playing with presents and what not, but the afternoon on Christmas day was not a stretch of time I remember either myself or my friends who observed the holiday having much in the way of concrete obligations. Why is having a football game going on then some big deal? I would actually welcome it. Even if you're an extremely religious Christian, what is so sacred at 3pm?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 26, 2024, 07:48:19 PMI'm going to take a contrarian viewpoint on this.

I don't really see an issue here myself. What exactly are people doing on Christmas afternoon? Presents and church services are all an AM/mid-day thing, no? I am not religious as an adult, but I did go to church and Sunday school as a kid, and I was confirmed. Never once in my life do I recall an afternoon on Christmas day being some big deal with lots of obligations. If anything, Christmas afternoon (2pm-6pm) was kind of dull. As a kid, I may have been busy playing with presents and what not, but the afternoon on Christmas day was not a stretch of time I remember either myself or my friends who observed the holiday having much in the way of concrete obligations. Why is having a football game going on then some big deal? I would actually welcome it. Even if you're an extremely religious Christian, what is so sacred at 3pm?

Many people do Christmas morning with immediate family and then get together with other relatives in the afternoon and even the evening
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 26, 2024, 07:52:31 PMMany people do Christmas morning with immediate family and then get together with other relatives in the afternoon and even the evening

Sounds a bit like Thanksgiving to me.

What percentage of Americans do you think would vote to have all three Thanksgiving games canceled?

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 26, 2024, 07:48:19 PMI'm going to take a contrarian viewpoint on this.

For me, it's not about the religious angle.

Personally, I won't watch even if the Giants are playing. It's about spending time with family. We have adult children and don't get to see them all the time. When they come to visit, the TV surely isn't on. We get to play with our grandkids and watch them have fun, take pictures and videos, and just live in the moment. Memories are made at Christmas.

What about the players, the coaches, the assistants, the stadium workers, security, etc., who can't spend the same time with their loved ones because of the greed of 32 billionaires who don't know the meaning of 'enough'?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

I am jewish, so I dont care about Christmas.   I even welcome having something on TV worth watching (that burning log gets boring after a while).

It doesn't bother me religiously, it bothers me as a football fan.  I think playing on a Wednesday is really rough on the players.  3 games in 11 days late in the season when guys are banged up. Not to mention being out of routine. 

To your point, the NBA has been playing on Christmas for years,  so I don't think people watching at home is a real issue.   May be for the season ticket holder who lives 3 hours from the stadium.   But they have his money already regardless.   That guy won't affect TV ratings.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on March 26, 2024, 09:07:29 PMFor me, it's not about the religious angle.

Personally, I won't watch even if the Giants are playing. It's about spending time with family. We have adult children and don't get to see them all the time. When they come to visit, the TV surely isn't on. We get to play with our grandkids and watch them have fun, take pictures and videos, and just live in the moment. Memories are made at Christmas.

What about the players, the coaches, the assistants, the stadium workers, security, etc., who can't spend the same time with their loved ones because of the greed of 32 billionaires who don't know the meaning of 'enough'?

I hear you. It bothers me less than you, but I understand where you're coming from.

The NBA has games on Christmas too, and I have never heard anyone complain much about that. Sporting events get played on the holidays of other religions all the time. And, as I touched on before, Thanksgiving is a massively serious American holiday where families also get together and spend time together, and nobody seems to have an issue with games on that day. And that's three games, not just one.

At the end of the day people who don't want to watch the game don't have to, obviously. To me this is much less objectionable than having games end at 12:30am on a work night/school night. But I appreciate others may view it differently.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 26, 2024, 10:03:14 PMI hear you. It bothers me less than you, but I understand where you're coming from.

The NBA has games on Christmas too, and I have never heard anyone complain much about that. Sporting events get played on the holidays of other religions all the time. And, as I touched on before, Thanksgiving is a massively serious American holiday where families also get together and spend time together, and nobody seems to have an issue with games on that day. And that's three games, not just one.

At the end of the day people who don't want to watch the game don't have to, obviously. To me this is much less objectionable than having games end at 12:30am on a work night/school night. But I appreciate others may view it differently.

In fairness, there are 82 games in a basketball season versus 17 in the NFL.   Missing a single late season (the NBA is only midseason) NFL game is considerably more impactful.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Jeff,

How would you feel about this scenario:

Giants are one of the teams.  They are actually playing meaningful games in December (I know now this hypothetical is more like fantasy).  They host Philly Saturday night and have to travel to Dallas and play on Wednesday.