News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The right way to teach history

Started by Bob In PA, September 04, 2021, 01:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Here's a relatively short article that demonstrates IMO the "right" way to teach U.S. history.  ---->  https://www.history.upenn.edu/node/14406

Make people think.  Don't propagandize them by telling them what you (the teacher) think.  Then show them (perhaps) the fallacy of their preconceived ideas.

That short article contains a link to a much longer article which expands on the content of the short one.  ------>  https://thepenngazette.com/pdfs/PennGaz0921_feature1.pdf

IMO, all U.S. history buffs should read both, and take the "challenge(s)" included in the longer article.

I'm not a history buff; in fact, it was my least favorite subject throughout years in school....  but I read both anyway.  Well worth the time and effort, IMO.

Bob

PS.  I was a student of the late Professor Alexander Riasanovsky (who is mentioned prominently in both articles).  When I was there, among other subjects, he taught Russian History.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Bob

Interesting subject. I read the short article but the longer one, not at this moment.

For me, I LOVE history and can never get enough of it. Too bad many don't think this way now. History was my second favorite subject in school, right behind Math. Math is what it is Math, but History was fascinating. I love most history, especially from our own country, from the settlers in Jamestown to the Pilgrims, to the Revolutionary War, and on, and on. I have tried to visit as many American shrines to our history as possible. Funny, we just watched a show about the Star-Spangled Banner and the flag that the ode is about. We have been to the Smithsonian when it used to just hang right in the entrance of the Museum of American History, now it is almost sealed in a room where they are trying to restore it and save what is left. We have been to Ft McHenry where it flew and where the Star-Spangled Banner was written. We have really gotten into the Civil War and have tried to visit as many battlefields as we are able, from Ft Sumpter to Antietam to Fredericksburg and many in between. We have been to Pearl Harbor and I have been to concentration camps in Europe. PLUS, I have had the great pleasure of speaking with people who made some of this history, from a German soldier who fought with Rommel in North Africa to a WWII vet who stormed the beaches in Normandy to one of the last of the Tuskegee Airmen. I had the privilege of calling this person a great friend who served on the USS Missouri when the Japanese surrendered.
So you see, I devour history and will watch whatever I can to keep learning, keep visiting and keep talking to people who lived it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss