News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Are the Chiefs in a decline?

Started by MightyGiants, December 11, 2023, 11:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Are they still contender caliber?  They have had a pretty mediocre (for them) season.   Will they turn it on during the playoffs, or has their time passed?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

As long as Mahomes has a breath in his lungs they will remain a contender. However, this will be the first time they likely have to go on the road on their way to the super bowl which is a new wrinkle of adversity they're gonna have to deal with.  I don't know if the team as a whole is good enough to win a Super Bowl this year, especially with the Dolphins over there standing in their way, but I don't think they're far off.  You can expect their first round pick to be a WR next year and maybe even their 2nd round pick.  If they can get just reasonable play from that position next year they'll be right back into that 12-13 win range again. 

MightyGiants

Mahomes (and some of his teammates) certainly are showing a lack of class.  Imagine how entitled one must feel to complain about a blatant penalty being called (Toney was clearly and very offside).

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1734054945010126883?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 11:15:01 AMMahomes (and some of his teammates) certainly are showing a lack of class.  Imagine how entitled one must feel to complain about a blatant penalty being called (Toney was clearly and very offside).

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1734054945010126883?s=20

Not a good look.  But in Mahomes' meager defense:  Kadarius Toney will do that to you.

Uni

Their receiving corps outside of Kelce is letting the team down. Drops, fumbles, penalties are killing the team. It feels like they have dropped every long pass thrown by Mahomes. Just can't hang on to anything. As Gisele Bundchen once said, "You [have] to catch the ball when you're supposed to catch the ball". Mahomes can't throw it and catch it.

Note that Toney was directly responsible for two losses this season.

With this kind of production, it will be almost impossible to get back to the SB much less win it.

T200

Mahomes was 100% wrong in his tirade and not wanting the flag to be thrown.

However... I understand his frustration. Toney being offsides did not offer his team an advantage whatsoever. The non-call on the blatant and obvious DPI last week versus GB was NOT called and affected the game. Mahomes' point was how can you hold your flag in one instance but not the other. The DPI was clearly more egregious.

Yes, different crews and rules are rules. But if they can't call them consistently, it's a problem.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uni on December 11, 2023, 11:19:27 AMTheir receiving corps outside of Kelce is letting the team down. Drops, fumbles, penalties are killing the team. It feels like they have dropped every long pass thrown by Mahomes. Just can't hang on to anything. As Gisele Bundchen once said, "You [have] to catch the ball when you're supposed to catch the ball". Mahomes can't throw it and catch it.

Note that Toney was directly responsible for two losses this season.

With this kind of production, it will be almost impossible to get back to the SB much less win it.

Daniel Jones can relate ;)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on December 11, 2023, 11:20:29 AMMahomes was 100% wrong in his tirade and not wanting the flag to be thrown.

However... I understand his frustration. Toney being offsides did not offer his team an advantage whatsoever. The non-call on the blatant and obvious DPI last week versus GB was NOT called and affected the game. Mahomes' point was how can you hold your flag in one instance but not the other. The DPI was clearly more egregious.

Yes, different crews and rules are rules. But if they can't call them consistently, it's a problem.

In fairness, a DPI is a judgment call.  Lining up offsides is a clear factual penalty and a stupid one (for the team getting it) at that.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uni

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 11:22:41 AMDaniel Jones can relate ;)
I knew someone would say that  :P

I actually wrote something in anticipation, but I didn't want to be the one to bring DJ into it.

I know (assume) you're just joking, but to be clear: Jones does not make the throws for the receivers to drop. There is ZERO connection between Mahomes and Jones. It's laughable to think that.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 11:24:06 AMIn fairness, a DPI is a judgment call.  Lining up offsides is a clear factual penalty and a stupid one (for the team getting it) at that.
If you saw the play last week, that was far from a judgment call.

londonblue

Answering the question, yes the Chiefs talent level on O has degraded significantly and they rely too heavily on Mahomes and Kelce.

On the Toney offside play (he was, it should be called more often but refs need to be consistent with it) I want to point out my pet peeve this season. The RT was also clearly illegally aligned, too far off the LoS & outside the body frame of the C. The LT might be as well though he is partially obscured by the TE in the angles I have seen.

This is now a common sight on passing snaps across many teams. It is cheating to gain an advantage vs. speedy edge defenders. It needs to be called routinely to stop it happening. Penalties are not only for defenders! The NFL needs to get its act together on this.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on December 11, 2023, 11:28:09 AMAnswering the question, yes the Chiefs talent level on O has degraded significantly and they rely too heavily on Mahomes and Kelce.

On the Toney offside play (he was, it should be called more often but refs need to be consistent with it) I want to point out my pet peeve this season. The RT was also clearly illegally aligned, too far off the LoS & outside the body frame of the C. The LT might be as well though he is partially obscured by the TE in the angles I have seen.

This is now a common sight on passing snaps across many teams. It is cheating to gain an advantage vs. speedy edge defenders. It needs to be called routinely to stop it happening. Penalties are not only for defenders! The NFL needs to get its act together on this.

With the Eagles the officials constantly allow their OTs to false start
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on December 11, 2023, 11:26:31 AMIf you saw the play last week, that was far from a judgment call.

I have seen the play.  The question for me is how they called the rest of the game.  Teams know some officials call games tighter than others.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 11:30:21 AMI have seen the play.  The question for me is how they called the rest of the game. Teams know some officials call games tighter than others.

And that's what I believe Mahomes' issue is as well.

Quote from: T200 on December 11, 2023, 11:20:29 AMYes, different crews and rules are rules. But if they can't call them consistently, it's a problem.

Ed Vette

I think Mahomes and Reid have been thinking they have had bad calls go against them all season. This was a pushback. Reid especially surprised me because he has to know he's going to get fined for what he said, someway or somehow. That said, Kadarius Toney is like Kryptonite. He's often injured and he kills them in critical situations when he is playing. He's a jinx.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin