News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Are the Chiefs in a decline?

Started by MightyGiants, December 11, 2023, 11:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

They are better on defense but lack the skill players especially at receiver. That being said because of Mahomes talent they will be a very tough out in the playoffs. If only the Giants were in such decline.

Bob In PA

Rich: The only way to answer the question in the title, IMO, is to ask the Collinsworth observations.

WHY are receivers dropping balls?  They're the same ones who didn't drop balls for many years. Getting old?

WHY all the costly penalties, especially by the OL? It's not the same group but it's close to last year.

My own guess... nothing lasts forever in the NFL, and maybe their time is up. Even Brady's time expired.

Also, Chiefs & Eagles are IMO the most STUDIED teams, so that could be at least part of the answer.

Bob

PS. This may not be the thread to raise this but, even though I picked Cowboys for the Super Bowl this year back in April/May/June, I've come to believe they're somehow stealing the opponents' defensive calls during home games. Why? Because their successful "guess rate" is too high to be just random. They virtually always call exactly the best play to run against the defense, and unless Dak has suddenly become a savant, there is no other explanation.

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: katkavage on December 11, 2023, 11:50:18 AMThey are better on defense but lack the skill players especially at receiver. That being said because of Mahomes talent they will be a very tough out in the playoffs. If only the Giants were in such decline.
We're 10 years in...  :banghead:  :banghead:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 11, 2023, 11:54:18 AMRich: The only way to answer the question in the title, IMO, is to ask the Collinsworth observations.

WHY are receivers dropping balls?  They're the same ones who didn't drop balls for many years. Getting old?

WHY all the costly penalties, especially by the OL? It's not the same group but it's close to last year.

My own guess... nothing lasts forever in the NFL, and maybe their time is up. Even Brady's time expired.

Also, Chiefs & Eagles are IMO the most STUDIED teams, so that could be at least part of the answer.

Bob

PS. This may not be the thread to raise this but, even though I picked Cowboys for the Super Bowl this year back in April/May/June, I've come to believe they're somehow stealing the opponents' defensive calls during home games. Why? Because their successful "guess rate" is too high to be just random. They virtually always call exactly the best play to run against the defense, and unless Dak has suddenly become a savant, there is no other explanation.
Wow, Bob. Great insight man. Seriously.  :ok:

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on December 11, 2023, 11:20:29 AMMahomes was 100% wrong in his tirade and not wanting the flag to be thrown.

However... I understand his frustration. Toney being offsides did not offer his team an advantage whatsoever. The non-call on the blatant and obvious DPI last week versus GB was NOT called and affected the game. Mahomes' point was how can you hold your flag in one instance but not the other. The DPI was clearly more egregious.

Yes, different crews and rules are rules. But if they can't call them consistently, it's a problem.

Tim: IMO the "illegal motion" penalty is also too randomly called. Once in a while, a ref calls a motion man for moving forward at the snap, but (1) it happens on almost every play these days and (2) there is no reason NOT to enforce that rule... it's very simple and straightforward. And I'll never forget the Super Bowl we lost to the Ravens. The refs picked that moment to call a holding penalty on a defensive interior lineman (which I seem to remember hadn't been called all year). It negated a Giants pick-six or (if my memory has failed me) certaintly an INT at a time when the game was still close (I think the TD would have tied the score) and that call IMO changed the whole complexion of the rest of the game.  Bob

PSUBeirut

Part of me wonders, with all his undeniable talent and leadership, just how "catchable" a ball he throws.  I think that matters when you have borderline talent at the WR position- and especially talent that seems to "churn", ie, it seems like he's always working with new WRs ever since Tyreek left.  Outside of Kelce he has no go-to guy, although Rashee Rice may develop into more of that role. 

But to answer the question- they'll be fine come playoff time.  Mahomes is just that good they will undoubtedly be in the mix to return to the Super Bowl.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 11:15:01 AMMahomes (and some of his teammates) certainly are showing a lack of class.  Imagine how entitled one must feel to complain about a blatant penalty being called (Toney was clearly and very offside).

Rich,

I fully agree, but I would just point out that we have seen this behavior from other superstar athletes as well. Brady did this all the time (bitched about officiating and berated refs directly), and so did Michael Jordan. I'm not defending it. I don't like it either. But it's not totally unfamiliar.

Jclayton92

Mahomes took it out on the officials instead of his teammates.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 11, 2023, 12:17:47 PMRich,

I fully agree, but I would just point out that we have seen this behavior from other superstar athletes as well. Brady did this all the time (bitched about officiating and berated refs directly), and so did Michael Jordan. I'm not defending it. I don't like it either. But it's not totally unfamiliar.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

To answer the OP, I definitely think they're having an off year this year. They have been off for sure. Mahomes is struggling significantly compared to his norms, and so is the team broadly.

With that said, no, I do not think their time has passed. Nor would I completely count them out in the postseason this year. The AFC is a bit up in the air. Yes, the Ravens and Dolphins look great, but neither has proven anything in postseason play in the recent past nor have they beaten elite teams this year.

But no question the Chiefs have not been their normal selves this year, and Mahomes' having an off year is a key part of that.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 11, 2023, 11:58:31 AMWow, Bob. Great insight man. Seriously.  :ok:
Ed: Yeah, wild guesses are my specialty. lol

LennG

Really, how many calls have the Chiefs gotten in the past few years that have helped them win games? Too many to count on fingers and toes. AND, this call wasn't even questionable. Instead of going into the huddle and telling Toney to pull his head out, he takes it out on the officials.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Gmo11

Quote from: LennG on December 11, 2023, 01:12:44 PMReally, how many calls have the Chiefs gotten in the past few years that have helped them win games? Too many to count on fingers and toes. AND, this call wasn't even questionable. Instead of going into the huddle and telling Toney to pull his head out, he takes it out on the officials.

I think that's exactly WHY he lost his mind.  He can't go and strangle Toney for being such a moron, as much as he might want to, because then he's labeled a bad teammate.  (Unless you're Tom Brady in which case it's fine he's just "competeing" for some reason) So he sees his WR do the dumbest thing in the world and can't control his frustration but since he can't direct it at Toney he does the next best thing and directs it at the referee. 

And it's not like this is the first time Toney has done something monumentally stupid.  He's single handedly cost them at least 2 games.  They'd be the #1 seed in the conference if he simply wasn't on the team.  So I kinda get being THAT frustrated since this dude just doesn't seem to learn. Not saying it's right, but I understand it.

MightyGiants

Waller on IR > Toney on the field
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

New angle of the lineup shows it wasn't even close.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss