News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you think Daboll has put himself over the team vis a vis Tyrod

Started by BluesCruz, December 28, 2023, 09:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shouldnt we be developing DeVito and exploring his potential

Yes Daboll is concerned about his job thus playing Taylor
6 (12.8%)
No Daboll feels there is plenty of time to develop DeVito
2 (4.3%)
As a fan I personally would prefer build for the future
8 (17%)
Maybe Daboll and Schoen decided to keep Tyrod and ditch Jones
1 (2.1%)
Daboll's job is to put the team in the best position to win games.
30 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: January 11, 2024, 09:02:27 AM

BluesCruz

Why are we trying to win meaningless games so badly?

This is the perfect time to test our bench strength

The Giants decisions are often baffling

On the other hand beating Philly would soothe old wounds
especially if it puts them on the road for the playoffs
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Gman329

None of the above.  Tyrod is greatly respected by his teammates.  I have read that some were not happy that he didn't start when he was healthy and ready to play.  After coming off the bench and providing a spark and being clearly more effective than Tommy D, Daboll would risk losing the locker room if he didn't give the job back to Taylor. 

katkavage

None of the above. Taylor is clearly better. The Giants have seen enough of Devito this year. The next two games will not change their opinion at all.

DaveBrown74

I voted for answer number two, as I guess that's the closest to how I feel, but none of the options really fits my sentiment. I think Daboll, like any coach, is concerned about winning the next game. I think Taylor clearly played much better than Devito in the last game, plus Devito was poor in New Orleans, so he is switching QBs for that reason. He is going with the QB who he presently believes gives the team the best chance of winning this week.

I think the Giants coaches, front office, owners, and players would dispute the fan notion that a regular season game can be "meaningless." I think they want to win these games, and I think the coaches (primarily Daboll) feel he gives them the best chance right now.

I think when they chose DeVito over him a few weeks back it was a matter of "riding the wave" until further notice, and we have now gotten to that further notice.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Gman329 on December 28, 2023, 09:31:43 AMNone of the above.  Tyrod is greatly respected by his teammates.  I have read that some were not happy that he didn't start when he was healthy and ready to play.  After coming off the bench and providing a spark and being clearly more effective than Tommy D, Daboll would risk losing the locker room if he didn't give the job back to Taylor. 

This is one of those things fans don't always think about with a team dynamic.  Especially when discussing "meaningless games".

Ed Vette

The job of the Head Coach is to win games and put the team in the best position to win games. It was the case with DeVito at the time and it's the case now with Tyrod.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Everyone is concerned about their job.

It was discussed a month or so ago about draft position versus trying to win games in a lost season. Only fans are concerned with draft position. Coaches and players care about winning. Why would a professional athlete who gets paid to play and win games willingly try and lose for the team to be in a better position to draft younger players who may eventually replace them? It's an asinine proposition at best. Additionally, many contracts contain incentive clauses that allow the players to earn more money based on performance triggers.

The bottom line is that players want to win. Period.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 28, 2023, 09:58:23 AMEveryone is concerned about their job.

It was discussed a month or so ago about draft position versus trying to win games in a lost season. Only fans are concerned with draft position. Coaches and players care about winning. Why would a professional athlete who gets paid to play and win games willingly try and lose for the team to be in a better position to draft younger players who may eventually replace them? It's an asinine proposition at best. Additionally, many contracts contain incentive clauses that allow the players to earn more money based on performance triggers.

The bottom line is that players want to win. Period.
Additionally...Some will play not to get hurt. Business decisions.
It's called losing the team.
Starting Tyrod this week gets the team focused to win.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 10:02:55 AMAdditionally...Some will play not to get hurt. Business decisions.
It's called losing the team.
Starting Tyrod this week gets the team focused to win.
Daboll's shine has definitely lost some luster but I see no signs of him losing the locker room. This offseason and his coaching staff decisions will be key to his bounce-back or flop next year.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

ozzie

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 09:02:27 AMWhy are we trying to win meaningless games so badly?

This is the perfect time to test our bench strength

The Giants decisions are often baffling

On the other hand beating Philly would soothe old wounds
especially if it puts them on the road for the playoffs
While I agree that I would like to see young talent given the chance to develop, even though the games are "meaningless", I think any player, coach and exec with any pride in themselves and the organization will try to win each and every game. I think Daboll feels TT gives the team the best chance to do just that.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 28, 2023, 10:08:39 AMDaboll's shine has definitely lost some luster but I see no signs of him losing the locker room. This offseason and his coaching staff decisions will be key to his bounce-back or flop next year.
I could see at the end of the second quarter, effort waning. If he left Tommy in, it's very likely it would have continued and he may have lost the team. Benching Tommy was the absolute right move at the time. It showed his team that he will do anything it takes to win. I also believe that if DJ hadn't gotten hurt and didn't improve his game, that he would have been benched and Tyrod would have gotten the next start.

He rode the Tommy Train because it sparked the team that was downtrodden. He clearly saw Tommy lost focus and the tide turned. So did the team. Developing a backup QB does not take priority over winning... and the owners were watching, very closely.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

nb587

I have been rooting for the Giants since 1956.  My wife says that she hopes the the guys on the team and the coaches feel as bad after a loss as I do.  When the Giants lose, I am miserable to be around and Ive been pretty miserable the past few years and many others going back to 1956.  But, I've never wavered in how I feel about the team.  If the Giants were to fire Daboll after this year, unless its for a non football reason, I would stop rooting for the team.  Not that he hasn't made mistakes, he has.  All coaches make mistakes.  I totally get why he wants to start Taylor. He has an obligation to win and that obligation also extends to every player on the team who gets paid to win.  He's not thinking on how to develop the back up QB for next year. 

Jolly Blue Giant

The morning paper (NY Post) says that Daboll is giving Tyrod the opportunity to showcase his skills so that he might get picked up by another team at the end of the season...sort of a "résumé builder". The belief is that he will not be back in a Giants' uniform next year, and Daboll thinks he deserves the chance to give other teams a peek at what he's got
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: