News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you think Daboll has put himself over the team vis a vis Tyrod

Started by BluesCruz, December 28, 2023, 09:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shouldnt we be developing DeVito and exploring his potential

Yes Daboll is concerned about his job thus playing Taylor
6 (12.8%)
No Daboll feels there is plenty of time to develop DeVito
2 (4.3%)
As a fan I personally would prefer build for the future
8 (17%)
Maybe Daboll and Schoen decided to keep Tyrod and ditch Jones
1 (2.1%)
Daboll's job is to put the team in the best position to win games.
30 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: January 11, 2024, 09:02:27 AM

H-Town G-Fan

Tyrod Taylor is a consummate professional who lost his starting job because of an injury. He only didn't immediately slot back in because DeVito had a few productive games. But once he came back to Earth (versus a top-tier defense), it is not unsurprising nor controversial to hand the job back to Taylor.

BluesCruz

Quote from: T200 on December 28, 2023, 09:58:23 AMEveryone is concerned about their job.

It was discussed a month or so ago about draft position versus trying to win games in a lost season. Only fans are concerned with draft position. Coaches and players care about winning. Why would a professional athlete who gets paid to play and win games willingly try and lose for the team to be in a better position to draft younger players who may eventually replace them? It's an asinine proposition at best. Additionally, many contracts contain incentive clauses that allow the players to earn more money based on performance triggers.

The bottom line is that players want to win. Period.

Coaches perhaps but GMs and Owners want to build a winning team
WE ARE NOT A WINNING TEAM AND HAVE NOT BEEN FOREVER

Play the damn bench, see what you have beyond the starters
playing two contending teams while they still something to play for is a rare rare opportunity to stretch the available talent and see what we have.  for instance Carter Coughlin is 1000% better tackler than McFadden IMHO

Its not about the draft entirely
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

T200

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 10:59:17 AMCoaches perhaps but GMs and Owners want to build a winning team
WE ARE NOT A WINNING TEAM AND HAVE NOT BEEN FOREVER

Play the damn bench, see what you have beyond the starters
playing two contending teams while they still something to play for is a rare rare opportunity to stretch the available talent and see what we have.  for instance Carter Coughlin is 1000% better tackler than McFadden IMHO

Its not about the draft entirely
I think your post was primarily about DeVito vs Taylor. In both cases, they are the backups. Due to Jones being on IR, both of the backup QBs have seen significant playing time. More than enough to know what we have in them each: BACKUP QBs. Can they win a game or two? Sure, but they aren't the long-term answer.

I've already gone on record saying that I think Taylor will be moving on next season. Our QBs should be Jones, DeVito, and whatever rookie is drafted in April.

As far as owners/GMs wanting to "build" a winning team, that goes without saying. But the operative word is WINNING. They can't win without putting their best players on the field. DeVito is not better than Taylor.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BluesCruz

Quote from: T200 on December 28, 2023, 11:04:49 AMI think your post was primarily about DeVito vs Taylor. In both cases, they are the backups. Due to Jones being on IR, both of the backup QBs have seen significant playing time. More than enough to know what we have in them each: BACKUP QBs. Can they win a game or two? Sure, but they aren't the long-term answer.

I've already gone on record saying that I think Taylor will be moving on next season. Our QBs should be Jones, DeVito, and whatever rookie is drafted in April.

As far as owners/GMs wanting to "build" a winning team, that goes without saying. But the operative word is WINNING. They can't win without putting their best players on the field. DeVito is not better than Taylor.

I think you missed part of my point which was play the whole 53 man roster and whatever PS players you can activate too

There may be a diamond in the rough

katkavage

Nothing Taylor or Devito does in the next two games will change their status. So all that being equal, Taylor is clearly better and a long time vet. He deserves the start and if Daboll did not start him that message would be heard around the league with others who might want to come to the Giants

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 12:01:04 PMI think you missed part of my point which was play the whole 53 man roster and whatever PS players you can activate too

It's December, they know what they have in all the backups. Carter Coughlin has been here for years he's not that diamond.

Besides that we've been so injured that most of our backups have seen playing time, the only one that hasn't is probably Coughlin because McFadden/Bobby OK haven't been injured.

Tyrod is a significantly better Qb than Devito and its not really close. 

spiderblue43

No. He's doing his job-try to put his best players out there. Win. If he didn't; he'd lose respect of his team. No different than players making "business decisions" with how the staff views them

Tyrod gives the Giants a chance against a Ram team traveling across the country playing an early game.

T200

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 12:01:04 PMI think you missed part of my point which was play the whole 53 man roster and whatever PS players you can activate too

I didn't. My point was that I think your impetus for this thread was the fact that Daboll chose to go with Tyrod instead of Tommy. None of your poll choices mentioned anything about the rest of the roster. In fact, I highly doubt you would have created this poll if Tommy was named the starter. By bringing up the "whole 53 man roster and whatever PS players...", it looks like an attempt to alter your initial point.

Just as fans have a different view about draft position versus winning games without being in the playoff hunt, we also don't have the luxury of seeing the entire roster Tuesday through Saturday and how they practice. There's a reason these coaches select who they want to play in games. I'm not suggesting they always get it right but they sure as hell have way more information than we do to make those calls.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 28, 2023, 10:24:41 AMThe morning paper (NY Post) says that Daboll is giving Tyrod the opportunity to showcase his skills so that he might get picked up by another team at the end of the season...sort of a "résumé builder". The belief is that he will not be back in a Giants' uniform next year, and Daboll thinks he deserves the chance to give other teams a peek at what he's got

this theory makes far more sense than anything else posted here
by a mile
that and the fact Daboll does not want a stinker record posted on his resume
at this point Taylor is better than DeVito but thats more because DeVito is not getting the whole playbook to work from
Both are good QBs and both are superior to Jones who has totally lost his mojo
Two things are holding our offense back- Kafkas poor play calling and Barkley's not being part of a rotation rather than a guy getting 90% of the snaps
Barkley's 1.7 YPC but for the occasional long run and Kafkas man love your the horizontal passing game behind the LOS are KILLING us

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 28, 2023, 10:24:41 AMThe morning paper (NY Post) says that Daboll is giving Tyrod the opportunity to showcase his skills so that he might get picked up by another team at the end of the season...sort of a "résumé builder". The belief is that he will not be back in a Giants' uniform next year, and Daboll thinks he deserves the chance to give other teams a peek at what he's got
A Post article that's actually not moronic.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/27/sports/tyrod-taylors-latest-giants-chance-means-everything-to-him/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 09:02:27 AMWhy are we trying to win meaningless games so badly?

This is the perfect time to test our bench strength

The Giants decisions are often baffling

On the other hand beating Philly would soothe old wounds
especially if it puts them on the road for the playoffs

The Giants pay him to win games, not secure higher picks. He's doing his job even if it's counterproductive to our draft status. You'd do the same exact thing if you were in his position.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 28, 2023, 12:25:54 PMIt's December, they know what they have in all the backups. Carter Coughlin has been here for years he's not that diamond.

Besides that we've been so injured that most of our backups have seen playing time, the only one that hasn't is probably Coughlin because McFadden/Bobby OK haven't been injured.

Tyrod is a significantly better Qb than Devito and its not really close. 
Quote from: madbadger on December 28, 2023, 04:00:38 PMThe Giants pay him to win games, not secure higher picks. He's doing his job even if it's counterproductive to our draft status. You'd do the same exact thing if you were in his position.

Funny the company line 1 month ago was why are we playing DeVito
We need to lose 5 for the "Gipper" and draft some not NFL tested QB project...cant have it both ways

We know what TT can do
Id give each of them a game or a half a piece

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 04:45:45 PMFunny the company line 1 month ago was why are we playing DeVito
We need to lose 5 for the "Gipper" and draft some not NFL tested QB project...cant have it both ways

We know what TT can do
Id give each of them a game or a half a piece
I think you mistook most Giants fans then or didnt understand, yes they'd love a great draft pick but when the games start/the whistle blows they are 100% invested in the team winning. Now when the game ends we can discuss picks and hope for a high one but while they are ongoing we are 150% in on the team winning and that has always been the case.

We know what devito can do at this point as well, Taylor gives us the best chance to win. There's no argument that can be made that Devito gives us a better chance to win so why play him? He's playing the position he'll play in the future which is sitting on the bench.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 28, 2023, 05:00:56 PMI think you mistook most Giants fans then or didnt understand, yes they'd love a great draft pick but when the games start/the whistle blows they are 100% invested in the team winning. Now when the game ends we can discuss picks and hope for a high one but while they are ongoing we are 150% in on the team winning and that has always been the case.

We know what devito can do at this point as well, Taylor gives us the best chance to win. There's no argument that can be made that Devito gives us a better chance to win so why play him? He's playing the position he'll play in the future which is sitting on the bench.

Boy you really hate this kid....nice