News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The downsides of electric cars

Started by MightyGiants, January 17, 2024, 03:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Here is an interesting article on EVs and the recent cold weather

https://www.yahoo.com/news/electric-car-owners-confront-harsh-130352017.html

Another major issue I have heard about EVs is they have almost no resale value.

EVs also have a hard-stop limited life VS ICE.  The battery pack will eventually fail, and it's very costly to replace. With ICE, their life varies by how you drive them and how well you care for them.

I think the cold weather article brings up another issue.  It's not just how long it takes to charge; if there is a line, you need to consider how long the person(s) in front of you will take.

Barring some sort of tech breakthrough, I have my doubts that EVs will prove to be the future of private transport.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I think if there is a change in the leadership to the other side, we see a shift.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Still say Hybrids are t he way to go. If you can't charge it switches over to gas and then all this is unnecessary.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quantum Computing will eventually figure out battery technology from the components to charging to life expectancy.

It's a game changer for mankind.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I will add another issue.  One owner complained that one you park a car with an eighth of a tank and come back a couple of weeks later you still have an eighth of a tank.   

Also apartment dwellers are screwed.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 18, 2024, 06:04:45 AMI will add another issue.  One owner complained that one you park a car with an eighth of a tank and come back a couple of weeks later you still have an eighth of a tank.   

Also apartment dwellers are screwed.
Don't understand.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 18, 2024, 07:19:32 AMDon't understand.

Batteries continue to drain even when the vehicle isn't run

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 18, 2024, 07:58:44 AMBatteries continue to drain even when the vehicle isn't run

One owner complained that one you park a car with an eighth of a tank and come back a couple of weeks later you still have an eighth of a tank.   

Don't you mean park a car with a full charge?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 18, 2024, 08:17:52 AMOne owner complained that one you park a car with an eighth of a tank and come back a couple of weeks later you still have an eighth of a tank.   

Don't you mean park a car with a full charge?

Apparently, the owner parked with only a little range left, and when he came back a couple of weeks later, the range was near zero.   He was saying with gas cars, you park with an eighth of a tank, and it still has that much when you get back to your car.  If my original wasn't clear, I was posting on my phone which is not my preferred way to post
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 17, 2024, 09:10:12 PMQuantum Computing will eventually figure out battery technology from the components to charging to life expectancy.

It's a game changer for mankind.

This isn't the first time I heard you mention quantum computing.  You inspired me to look into it.  I think this article appealed to me and my engineering (the field that converts scientific knowledge into practical applications) background.

https://www.wired.com/story/wired-guide-to-quantum-computing/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 18, 2024, 10:50:43 AMThis isn't the first time I heard you mention quantum computing.  You inspired me to look into it.  I think this article appealed to me and my engineering (the field that converts scientific knowledge into practical applications) background.

https://www.wired.com/story/wired-guide-to-quantum-computing/
Actually, I think you would have also made an excellent Physician but be that as it may, take a look at this book. I foresee medical breakthroughs, food production, new energy resources, and space exploration when it figures out how to reverse gravity and bend Space/Time. Then there will be boundless abundance and it will end all wars over territory. It's the hardware for AI.   
https://mkaku.org/home/publications/quantum-supremacy/
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I was discussing something like this with a friend today and we both agreed, why can't they invent a battery that charges as you drive, thus almost eliminating the need for a physical charge most of the time? If the electric battery is charging as you drive it would make gas engines almost obsolete.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on January 18, 2024, 08:22:24 PMI was discussing something like this with a friend today and we both agreed, why can't they invent a battery that charges as you drive, thus almost eliminating the need for a physical charge most of the time? If the electric battery is charging as you drive it would make gas engines almost obsolete.
It's called planned product adolescence.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: LennG on January 18, 2024, 08:22:24 PMI was discussing something like this with a friend today and we both agreed, why can't they invent a battery that charges as you drive, thus almost eliminating the need for a physical charge most of the time? If the electric battery is charging as you drive it would make gas engines almost obsolete.
Then how would multi-millionaires become multi-billionaires???

Business always has been and will always be about who can accumulate the most worldly wealth. I guarantee they all know where they rack and stack on the list of the world's richest people.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Quote from: T200 on January 19, 2024, 10:56:08 AMThen how would multi-millionaires become multi-billionaires???

Business always has been and will always be about who can accumulate the most worldly wealth. I guarantee they all know where they rack and stack on the list of the world's richest people.

Of course, but if, say, what I suggested, a battery that can charge as you drive, how does that impact the multi-money makers? IMHO they would see twice as many cars, the only drawback is the battery itself.
Unless, of course you mean that people would give up the gas guzzlers and that would impact the oil companies.

Charlie Weiss