News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Breaking Bad VS Better Call Saul

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Is Walter White (Breaking Bad) or Jimmy/Saul (Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) a more Tragic character in your opinion?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Jimmy, because he could have been a successful Attorney and his insecurities and demons brought him down. Walter was just an evil man deep down who needed to control people and had no problem killing people in his way.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Walter White was a successful HS chemistry teacher with a brilliant scientific mind. His stage 3 lung cancer diagnosis drove him to make sure his family was financially secure after his eventual death...by any means possible. Once he started down that path his descent was swift and deep.

Jimmy McGill was a slacker his whole life, always looking for shortcuts to reach his life's goals. Due to this character flaw he was unwilling or unable to ever reach his dreams through hard work and dedication. But instead he always looked for the easy way out. While he accepted that he was life-long shirker, he still yearned for approval and acceptance from those closest to him - his parents, his brother Chuck, his love Kim, and also from Howard.

That each character was so deeply and terribly flawed is what made for such compelling viewing. In my opinion the two series were among the best I have ever seen.

To Rich's question, I vote it's a tie.

ozzie

Quote from: Sem on March 01, 2024, 02:03:26 PMWalter White was a successful HS chemistry teacher with a brilliant scientific mind. His stage 3 lung cancer diagnosis drove him to make sure his family was financially secure after his eventual death...by any means possible. Once he started down that path his descent was swift and deep.

Jimmy McGill was a slacker his whole life, always looking for shortcuts to reach his life's goals. Due to this character flaw he was unwilling or unable to ever reach his dreams through hard work and dedication. But instead he always looked for the easy way out. While he accepted that he was life-long shirker, he still yearned for approval and acceptance from those closest to him - his parents, his brother Chuck, his love Kim, and also from Howard.

That each character was so deeply and terribly flawed is what made for such compelling viewing. In my opinion the two series were among the best I have ever seen.

To Rich's question, I vote it's a tie.

A good explanation. I agree, both flawed but hard to say one is moreso than the other.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

I agree with Ed, in that Jimmy was a much more tragic figure, as Steve said, he always looked for the easy way out and only applied himself when there was something shady going on. He could have been that 'hero' but instead chose the dark side.

As Walter White, his intentions were mostly always good. He was trying to provide for his family when his death was to come. He really cared about Jesse as their relationship grew. He may have turned evil, but I still believe, in the back of his soul, he knew right from wrong. If he wasn't dying, he never would have entered the drug business just to make money. His goal was financial security for his family.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss