News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Round one non-Giants draft discussion thread

Started by MightyGiants, April 25, 2024, 07:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosehill Jimmy

6 QBs in first 12 picks.  83 was the last time but not this quickly. Wonder if this class will produce 3 HOFers too? 
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 25, 2024, 09:37:19 PMPlease remember Daniel Jones had a 93.2 RTG and 60.2 QBR in 2022 which ranked him 13th and #6 respectively.

The team went 10-7-1 and won a playoff game.

His O line was decimated last year and the schedule first five games was absolutely brutal.

I believe there is a great chance he and Giants have a bounce back year.

Please be well

The 2 backups moved the ball better than the 40 million dollar QB (with the same Oline - except Pugh)

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2024, 09:31:32 PMhttps://x.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/1783669514040737825

With 6 of the top 12 picks being QBs I can predict that in 2 years this draft will be cited as providing the highest rate of QB busts in NFL history.  LOL
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Is the deepest before a defensive player is picked?

Jclayton92

Quote from: madbadger on April 25, 2024, 09:37:29 PMlol. No one, and I mean no one in the world had Daniels going second overall in this draft, this time last year. Too skinny, processed too slowly, struggled with mechanics. A year later everyone forgets about it, and no one is really talking about how much Maye regressed this year without Phil Longo calling plays for him. There will be at least two quarterbacks with top 10 grades next year. If I'm wrong this time next year I'll have no problem admitting I was wrong.
I said exactly that on page 1 or 2 of this thread, that Jayden Daniels was a 7th round Pick at the beginning of 2023 and I've talked a lot of my dislike for maye because he thrived in Longos system that also made sam howell look elite at points. I'm not disagreeing with you, I was simply talking about the talent of the 3 guys in comparison to who actually got drafted just now.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 25, 2024, 09:34:07 PMHi,

No but if they thought JJ or Penix were superior and potential franchise QB's they would have taken them, but they didn't they passed at #6, why?

You don't pass on a potential franchise QB if you are absolutely done with Daniel Jones as Rich Eisen pontificated all over the internet about 4-6 weeks ago.

The man was completely wrong and mislead a lot of viewers and Giant fans.

If you don't like DJ then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I on the other hand feel with an adequate O line, a #1 explosive WR, and an slightly easier schedule, I believe DJ will have a bounce back year.

Enjoy

And when DJ is cut after this season, will you admit the Giants were "completely done" with him but for considerations having nothing to do with his talents? He's still on the team because of cap considerations. You appear to be declaring victory on DJ's behalf--why I don't know--because the Giants didn't draft the 4th QB at 6, a move that would be a disproportionate utilization of valuable draft capital.

I literally haven't criticized DJ at all in this thread, just noted that the pick of a WR is not confirmation of faith in him. But the defensiveness of DJ against logic is clear.

killarich

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 09:38:45 PMDid I say there were? I was simply talking to mad about the 3 prospects he mentioned as it refers to next year.

Ok but your point leads to the fact that next years prospects at THIS moment are on the level of the 2nd tier of QBs in this draft

They have a whole season to prove themselves better or worse than that

Which makes taking Nabers the smart move ......

Because if we stink it up again and pick top 5 we now get the chance to pick a JJ type QB next season or who knows a better QB to pair with Nabers

vs

Picking JJ risking a bust and still not having a #1 WR

Trench

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 25, 2024, 09:37:11 PMNo, you've sat there and heard that the primary problem is that they have a cr@p OL.  The weapons issue only really arose when people pointed out that other QBs were productive with bad Olines and it was countered that while their Ols were bad they had more than 1 elite receiver.

But I'm really sorry if my unwillingness to answer a hypothetical question is interfering with you being a fan.

No...the posters said over and over he doesn't have enough weapons and WR who can "get separation"....this was regurgitated over and over. Our (2) backup QBs proved we can move the ball downfield with the current crop so this is where I ask - now that we have Nabers (true #1), Hyatt, WanDale and maybe Waller - can we at least agree Daniel Jones NOW has weapons??

sxdxca38

Quote from: Trench on April 25, 2024, 09:41:07 PMThe 2 backups moved the ball better than the 40 million dollar QB (with the same Oline - except Pugh)

DJ went up against Dallas and San Fran first two games against top 5 defenses.

The first five out of six teams he faced were all playoff teams, before getting hurt.

Taylor and Devito went up against inferior competition.

Taylor put up 9 points against Buffalo, a top 5 defense.

Taylor like Jones was also hurt after only 3 games behind this O line.

Let me ask you a question.

The Giants have added a legitimate #1 WR, he is explosive.

If they strengthen the O line.

Do you think DJ will have better stats this year?

or will he be worse?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 09:38:45 PMDid I say there were? I was simply talking to mad about the 3 prospects he mentioned as it refers to next year.

Where would you put the 2025 class with the end of 2022 version of the 2023 class.  That is the REAL comparison.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

killarich

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 25, 2024, 09:42:53 PMAnd when DJ is cut after this season, will you admit the Giants were "completely done" with him but for considerations having nothing to do with his talents? He's still on the team because of cap considerations. You appear to be declaring victory on DJ's behalf--why I don't know--because the Giants didn't draft the 4th QB at 6, a move that would be a disproportionate utilization of valuable draft capital.

I literally haven't criticized DJ at all in this thread, just noted that the pick of a WR is not confirmation of faith in him. But the defensiveness of DJ against logic is clear.

Yes ....they will be DONE after next season if that is the case

RIGHT NOW they are not

Did they try to improve at QB ?? Probably yes most likely ....BUT  they are not DONE at the moment ...if they were you simply take the franchise QB

they believed none of these QB's outside the top 3 are that

so no they are not done with Jones

Jolly Blue Giant

this is really turning out to be an all-offense draft. I wonder how far down the board before a defensive player is picked
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

killarich

My god.... is their a chance we get a first round level defensive player in the 2nd round the way things are going ?

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: killarich on April 25, 2024, 09:45:59 PMYes ....they will be DONE after next season if that is the case

RIGHT NOW they are not

Did they try to improve at QB ?? Probably yes most likely ....BUT  they are not DONE at the moment ...if they were you simply take the franchise QB

they believed none of these QB's outside the top 3 are that

so no they are not done with Jones

Honestly, this is pedantic waffling around the term "done with" for no real purpose. So I am, actually, done with discussing it.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 25, 2024, 09:34:07 PMHi,

No but if they thought JJ or Penix were superior and potential franchise QB's they would have taken them, but they didn't they passed at #6, why?

You don't pass on a potential franchise QB if you are absolutely done with Daniel Jones as Rich Eisen pontificated all over the internet about 4-6 weeks ago.

The man was completely wrong and mislead a lot of viewers and Giant fans.

If you don't like DJ then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I on the other hand feel with an adequate O line, a #1 explosive WR, and an slightly easier schedule, I believe DJ will have a bounce back year.

Enjoy

The DJ contract always meant he'd be on the team in September. I don't think anyone here disputed that.

Whether he's the guy after this coming season, is a big question. The contract is built with an exit clause.

I'm certain I heard Eisen say Jones won't be ready for September, which I've not read or heard elsewhere - he does seem to be over zealous in this approach (however, I may have misheard).

Nevertheless, in my opinion - there is no certainty around Jones' starting position come the end of the year. But if you believe that's the case, I cannot argue with that.