News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball rules

Started by LennG, May 09, 2024, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: LennG on May 18, 2024, 07:48:15 PMThere is a scenario where the umpire seeing that the runner intentionally interfered with a fielder CAN call a double play, with the runner out and the batter also out. It is rare as you would have to anticipate that the ground ball would have been a DP, and the runner did what he could to stop it. It is a legitimate call though.

Len, this reminds me of another MLB situation - runner on 1st and the batter hits the ball down the line and a fan touches the ball while it's in play, (and ultimately is kicked out of the stadium), and the hit is ruled a ground rule double. I've heard announcers in the past say that it's within the umpire's the discretion to allow the runner on first to score if, in the umpire's opinion, he would have scored had the fan not interfered. Yet I have never seen this happen, even when it's obvious the runner would have scored. I've only seen the runner on first get two bases and must stay at third.
Can you comment on this?

Sem

Quote from: LennG on May 18, 2024, 07:58:43 PMIf the pitcher lost contact with the rubber, I would think a base umpire would call that as it would be almost impossible for the plate man to see that.

I don't have YES Network, but I did find this post-game interview with Boone on YouTube where right at the end of the clip he says the umpire, Laz Diaz, initially says Cortes stepped off the mound. But the clip prematurely ends at that point, so I don't know what else Boone says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoo2k0UCtI&t=2s

GIANTS1

the answer above is b double play. runner cannot interfer with fielder.

LennG

Quote from: GIANTS1 on Today at 08:22:48 AMthe answer above is b double play. runner cannot interfere with a fielder.

As I said, it is within the umpire's choice to call a DP, but that is rare. It would only be called if, in the umpire's judgment, the interference was intentional and done with the intent to stop a very possible DP. I can admit I have called it twice, in High School games, but again, you will get a major argument and you have to be positive about the so-called intent. But again, it is in the umpire's ability to do so.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: Sem on May 18, 2024, 09:18:39 PMLen, this reminds me of another MLB situation - runner on 1st and the batter hits the ball down the line and a fan touches the ball while it's in play, (and ultimately is kicked out of the stadium), and the hit is ruled a ground rule double. I've heard announcers in the past say that it's within the umpire's the discretion to allow the runner on first to score if, in the umpire's opinion, he would have scored had the fan not interfered. Yet I have never seen this happen, even when it's obvious the runner would have scored. I've only seen the runner on first get two bases and must stay at third.
Can you comment on this?

Steve

If it is within the umpire's ability to do so (which I really don't know it is), it will always be called a ground rule's double. If I am not mistaken, there is only one instance in the MLB rule book that authorizes 3 bases on a play and that is when a fielder throws his glove at a hit ball and makes contact with it. The batter is awarded 3 bases.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss