News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: 2022-23 NY Rangers Season Thread

Started by DaveBrown74, June 30, 2022, 06:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I know the previous season literally just ended less than a week ago, but there are trade rumors involving the Rangers, a number of key offseason decisions, and a draft coming up next week. Plus there is nothing going on in the NFL right now. So on the advice of Jim I am starting the next season's thread.

Shoelessjoe

Here is what may be the first but definitely not the last of rumors.  The Rangers are interested in Winnipeg Jets pending RFA Pierre-Luc Dubois.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/new_york_rangers_looking_at_a_trade_for_pierre_luc_dubois/s1_15425_37633844

nb587

I wanted to be the first to post on this new thread but slept late. I'm still pissed at the league for screwing the Rangers.

Thanks for starting a new thread.  It makes this a lot easier.

coggs

I normally thinks Brooks is a moron, but agree with the article he put out yesterday.  We have been waiting how long for Chytil to show what he did this play-offs, and now going to move him from someone who costs 3x as much?  I really hope they do not do anything styupid.

DaveBrown74

I'm not particularly concerned about this, given we are already incredibly young and seem to have plenty of prospects beyond the young guys on the team, but in this week's draft all we have is a second round pick and then one in each of the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds. No first or third round pick this year (and no 7th). We lost picks going after these various rental types like Copp and Vattrano. We also traded a third for Ryan Reaves.

Again I don't really have a problem with it because I think the Rangers made sound moves at the deadline, and I feel it really paid off as going on the run that we did was important from an experience standpoint, but it's nonetheless something to be aware of this week.

Draft is Thurs/Friday.

Gmo11

Georgiev traded!  To the champs for a couple mid round picks this year and next year.  Nothing special in the return but does clear some money for a potential free agent signing I suppose. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 07, 2022, 01:10:02 PMGeorgiev traded!  To the champs for a couple mid round picks this year and next year.  Nothing special in the return but does clear some money for a potential free agent signing I suppose. 

Seems like a good move. Two thirds (one this year and one next year) and a fifth this year seems ok to me. It gets us some more cap space and also gets us to a more normal number of picks for this draft.

We knew he was going to get moved. I have to believe Drury did his due diligence and determined this was the best offer. Doubt he just dealt on the first offer that came his way.

I have a feeling Georgie will be decent if/when he gets the opportunity to be a starter. He's only 26 too so he can still improve. He's just not in Shesty's league.

The question now is who is our backup.

DaveBrown74

I know not everyone will agree with this, but I honestly think trading Panarin might be the right move. I really like him, and I think he is an immense talent, but he is the number two biggest annual cap hit in the league (only McDavid is higher), and it seems clear that his game is not well suited for playoff hockey. He has been a great acquisition for us, but we need to start thinking about signing the younger generation, and frankly his game is just too east-west for playoff hockey. The Rangers need to start thinking about assembling the roster in a way that is best geared towards winning the Cup now. Trading Panaring for someone like Miller, Dubois, or Gourde with some picks is a move I'd seriously consider. He is one of several very substantial contracts on this team. Zibs and Fox aren't going anywhere. I doubt Trouba is either. Panarin you could get something for, and shedding that contract would put the Rangers in a flexible position to focus on pieces designed specifically for the playoffs.

coggs

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 07, 2022, 01:10:02 PMGeorgiev traded!  To the champs for a couple mid round picks this year and next year.  Nothing special in the return but does clear some money for a potential free agent signing I suppose. 
Excellent return for him.  Honestly was starting to think they would not get anything for him and would just have to let him walk as UFA.  Did not think any team would give something up and then have to pay him his qualifying offer.  I would have been happy with ONE third round pick.  To get two and a 5th?  I'll take it and smile.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on July 07, 2022, 02:19:41 PMExcellent return for him.  Honestly was starting to think they would not get anything for him and would just have to let him walk as UFA.  Did not think any team would give something up and then have to pay him his qualifying offer.  I would have been happy with ONE third round pick.  To get two and a 5th?  I'll take it and smile.

Agreed. I think they have done well here.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 07, 2022, 02:15:28 PMI know not everyone will agree with this, but I honestly think trading Panarin might be the right move. I really like him, and I think he is an immense talent, but he is the number two biggest annual cap hit in the league (only McDavid is higher), and it seems clear that his game is not well suited for playoff hockey. He has been a great acquisition for us, but we need to start thinking about signing the younger generation, and frankly his game is just too east-west for playoff hockey. The Rangers need to start thinking about assembling the roster in a way that is best geared towards winning the Cup now. Trading Panaring for someone like Miller, Dubois, or Gourde with some picks is a move I'd seriously consider. He is one of several very substantial contracts on this team. Zibs and Fox aren't going anywhere. I doubt Trouba is either. Panarin you could get something for, and shedding that contract would put the Rangers in a flexible position to focus on pieces designed specifically for the playoffs.

If Drury can find someone willing to take APs contract he should get Executive of the Year for the next TWO years!

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on July 07, 2022, 05:15:51 PMIf Drury can find someone willing to take APs contract he should get Executive of the Year for the next TWO years!

I don't take the idea of losing Panarin lightly. The guy is an elite talent and has averaged 1.34 PPG as a Ranger. You don't just replace that with a couple of run of the mill free agents. But we are very deep at LW with Kreider, Laffy, and Motte (who could easily stay), and we are very thin at center with Strome leaving and also very thin at RW. Moreover we have a big array of young players, and it will be hard to keep all the good ones with that AP contract staying on the books. Plus as stated already, I'm really not sure about his east-west style and the way it translates to playoff hockey.

At the very least, I think Drury should not be completely closed to the idea of moving him. I think there would be no shortage of interest.

Jaime

Another savvy move by Drury =D>
He dumps 2.45 Mil in salary for our overpaid Backup. Georgie's bad luck he was the Backup to the Vezina winner. Otherwise on many Teams, he'd be challenging for a Starters role. Thinkin' Sakic is over the moon to see the last of that liability Kemphar. I posted a blurb stating that Kemphar tween dah Pipes was akin to spotting the Opponent 1.5 Goals. We give Sakic what may become his Starting Goalie(?), in return, we receive two 3rds and a 5th. Smooth move!

As for Trading our 12.5 Mil LW, include me in. In the Playoffs, Bread was only an asset on the PP. As mentioned, East West finesse guys typically don't fare well in the Playoffs. He's age 31, with that albatross of a salary.
If Drury can move him without giving up too much, that would be akin to pulling a rabbit out of a hat :jawdrop:
That maneuver would sure loosen up our purse strings, for say, a 2nd Line C and a RW. :goteam:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jaime on July 08, 2022, 03:38:50 AMAnother savvy move by Drury =D>
He dumps 2.45 Mil in salary for our overpaid Backup. Georgie's bad luck he was the Backup to the Vezina winner. Otherwise on many Teams, he'd be challenging for a Starters role. Thinkin' Sakic is over the moon to see the last of that liability Kemphar. I posted a blurb stating that Kemphar tween dah Pipes was akin to spotting the Opponent 1.5 Goals. We give Sakic what may become his Starting Goalie(?), in return, we receive two 3rds and a 5th. Smooth move!

As for Trading our 12.5 Mil LW, include me in. In the Playoffs, Bread was only an asset on the PP. As mentioned, East West finesse guys typically don't fare well in the Playoffs. He's age 31, with that albatross of a salary.
If Drury can move him without giving up too much, that would be akin to pulling a rabbit out of a hat :jawdrop:
That maneuver would sure loosen up our purse strings, for say, a 2nd Line C and a RW. :goteam:

Nice wrap as usual, Jaime.

I'll be keeping an eye on the draft today. Starts at 11am EDT. We have six picks today. First one is pick number 63, late 2nd round. I'm not expecting any studs to come out of this draft, but you never know. Fox was drafted 66th. Shesty was drafted 116th. Panarin was undrafted. I think there is plenty of reason to take an interest.

The Pens gave Letang a 6 year contract for $36mm. He is 35 years old. Seems a bit crazy to me. I guess they're going for one more cup with Sid, and this was what they had to do to keep Letang? It kind of seems like this team is clinging to old guys. It may work for them for another year or two, but if they get buried in these big contracts to guys on the wrong side of 35 you have to think they'll have a rough few years starting in a year or two.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 07, 2022, 05:20:13 PMI don't take the idea of losing Panarin lightly. The guy is an elite talent and has averaged 1.34 PPG as a Ranger. You don't just replace that with a couple of run of the mill free agents. But we are very deep at LW with Kreider, Laffy, and Motte (who could easily stay), and we are very thin at center with Strome leaving and also very thin at RW. Moreover we have a big array of young players, and it will be hard to keep all the good ones with that AP contract staying on the books. Plus as stated already, I'm really not sure about his east-west style and the way it translates to playoff hockey.

At the very least, I think Drury should not be completely closed to the idea of moving him. I think there would be no shortage of interest.

I understand the thought process...but I would hesitate to trade a talent like that.  I don't think his struggles in the playoffs were as much a product of him not being able to play playoff hockey as much as Ryan Strome's struggles to play hockey at all.  I feel like one of the reasons he looked so much better on the power play was because he was playing with proper talent around him.  Imagine how many points he'd have ended up with this season if he wasn't playing with that Hunt anchor around his neck.  He put up that season with Hunt unable to capitalize on what seems like over a dozen beautiful setups from Panarin.

Now there is obviously no guarantee they can provide him with better linemates next season, though upgrading from playoff Strome doesn't seem like entirely that big of a chore.

Do you they try putting Kreider/Zibs/Panarin all together?  Do they move Laffy and/or Chytil up there with Panarin on the 2nd line?  I just think that a talent like him is not easily replaced.  You need guys like Goodrow/Motte on the roster especially in the playoffs but those guys are a lot easier to find than somebody like Panarin where any time he touches the puck the Rangers are a threat to score. 

And remember, Game 7 vs the Penguins was a home game because of how they played throughout the regular season.  They'd have not been home for that game without Panarin all year and oh by the way..he also scored the OT winner.