News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

News from day 2 rookie mini-camp

Started by MightyGiants, May 11, 2024, 01:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on May 13, 2024, 10:19:18 PMHopefully Camp this year is boot camp

I''m not heartened by Daboll's comments about not throwing too much at them and spending one hour on the field (although to be fair I don't know the rules about what the limits are for on-field practice time in rookie camp).

There is a funny series of YouTube shorts about the contrast between how American parent interacts with her kid compared to Asian mom.  When it comes to all of the camps, I want Daboll to be an Asian mom.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Trench

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 14, 2024, 10:58:19 AMI''m not heartened by Daboll's comments about not throwing too much at them and spending one hour on the field (although to be fair I don't know the rules about what the limits are for on-field practice time in rookie camp).

There is a funny series of YouTube shorts about the contrast between how American parent interacts with her kid compared to Asian mom.  When it comes to all of the camps, I want Daboll to be an Asian mom.

You are 100% correct AZ

londonblue

Under the current NFL rules the only real opportunity to set tempo and intensity on the field is in training camp and even that is greatly reduced from past eras.

What you can do in rookie camp and mini camp is establish tempo and intensity off the field, by demanding and enforcing that they be on time & attentive to meetings, learn the playbook and push hard in the gym/meet physical targets.

We cannot really see if it is American or Asian Mom until training camp but if they arrive at training camp looking confused and operating at walking pace again it will raise questions about what went before.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: londonblue on May 14, 2024, 03:36:33 PMUnder the current NFL rules the only real opportunity to set tempo and intensity on the field is in training camp and even that is greatly reduced from past eras.

What you can do in rookie camp and mini camp is establish tempo and intensity off the field, by demanding and enforcing that they be on time & attentive to meetings, learn the playbook and push hard in the gym/meet physical targets.

We cannot really see if it is American or Asian Mom until training camp but if they arrive at training camp looking confused and operating at walking pace again it will raise questions about what went before.

It is the fact that the opportunity to set the tone and intensity is so reduced that what opportunity is there needs to be addressed with a sense of urgency.  I don't think we saw that last year.  My hope is that it changes this year.  But the early signs from rookie camp don't give me the warm fuzzies.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 14, 2024, 04:34:31 PMIt is the fact that the opportunity to set the tone and intensity is so reduced that what opportunity is there needs to be addressed with a sense of urgency.  I don't think we saw that last year.  My hope is that it changes this year.  But the early signs from rookie camp don't give me the warm fuzzies.
You make me wonder if Daboll survives another bad season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

H-Town G-Fan

Was Daboll's approach to training camp an issue in 2022 when the Giants started 6-1? I don't recall criticism at that time. I'm not a fan of the way the Giants started 2023, but I also don't know its the result of the training camp approach... and I don't think teams in 2023 were taking the Giants for granted like they were in 2022.

Gmo11

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on May 15, 2024, 10:24:45 AMWas Daboll's approach to training camp an issue in 2022 when the Giants started 6-1? I don't recall criticism at that time. I'm not a fan of the way the Giants started 2023, but I also don't know its the result of the training camp approach... and I don't think teams in 2023 were taking the Giants for granted like they were in 2022.

As with most things the results are all that matters. Go take a look at McVey's training camp routine.  And some others as well.  Daboll looks like Parcells by comparison to that.  The #1 priority at camp these days for most of the roster is to not get anybody hurt before week 1.  Rookies and new additions will need some time to learn their teammates and playbook and things like that but the guys coming back just don't get hurt please.  They'll be plenty of time for injuries later.