News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Word is out!

Started by Ed Vette, September 11, 2023, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 10:25:39 AMThe problem with him in opening up the offense isn't his physical ability to throw deep its that he doesn't see the whole field and locks onto one receiver telegraphing his throws and being able to adjust consistently.  He's shown that throughout his NFL career which is now in year 5.  It's not just last night.  Maybe that changes as we move along this season.  But it's something to keep an eye on.

When exactly did that happen?  I saw Jones running for his life most snaps. I never saw anything remotely like what you are saying happened.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2023, 10:02:02 AMEd,

I think the difference is the Pats knew their O-line couldn't deal with the Eagles rush, so they planned for it.  It doesn't look like the Giants' coaching staff planned on not being able to stop or even slow down the Cowboy's rush.  Game day playbooks are small (30, give or take).  So it's not like the Giants could just pivot when they learned their O-line couldn't hold up.
They absolutely have screen passes on their game board. They have 75-100 plays in a game plan. This is the second year of this system. If Jones, Saquon, Breda, Shep, Slay and that Oline don't get it by now, they never will. Every one of those plays were available to Kafka. He called a poor game.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-ask-farmer-20160103-story.html
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 10:31:11 AMThey absolutely have screen passes on their game board. They have 75-100 plays in a game plan. This is the second year of this system. If Jones, Saquon, Breda, Shep, Slay and that Oline don't get it by now, they never will. Every one of those plays were available to Kafka. He called a poor game.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-ask-farmer-20160103-story.html

Here is Pat Kirwan (former NFL coach and front office)

At the end of the day, the team is down to about 30 or 35 plays that make up any given week's game plan. The play-call sheet will sort them by down and distance -- five or so first-down plays, seven plays for second downs between 5 and 7 yards, and so on. The 60 to 65 plays a team is likely to run on Sunday will come from that game plan -- and opponent-specific play-call shee

https://www.nfl.com/news/producing-a-game-plan-takes-into-account-months-of-work-09000d5d8192b29f
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 09:06:45 AMIf it was true, the medical staff should be fired today.

Which is why I doubt it was true
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2023, 10:36:01 AMHere is Pat Kirwan (former NFL coach and front office)

At the end of the day, the team is down to about 30 or 35 plays that make up any given week's game plan. The play-call sheet will sort them by down and distance -- five or so first-down plays, seven plays for second downs between 5 and 7 yards, and so on. The 60 to 65 plays a team is likely to run on Sunday will come from that game plan -- and opponent-specific play-call shee

https://www.nfl.com/news/producing-a-game-plan-takes-into-account-months-of-work-09000d5d8192b29f

Sure, in 2010 and Option Routes and Audibles. Offenses are much more sophisticated now.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 09:46:48 AMCould be the Giants eventually come to the conclusion that opening things up and having a deep passing attack with Daniel Jones is never going to work and that if you're going to be successful with him they have to run a Conservative offense that simplifies things for him and doesn't require him to think on the move.

If they have made that decision already in week one after deciding to give him this contract, then why did they do that? Gardner Minshew can run that type of offense for you almost as well (he's not as good of a runner but he's at least as good of a dink and dunk passer) for a tiny fraction of $40mm. Trubisky can too. Lots of these backup types can. There is just no reason to spend $40mm on a dink and dunk game manager in a training wheels passing offense. Colossal error on the front office's part if they really intend to keep the same offensive style as last year. I tend to think that's not the case. I think you see them open it up next week. Whether that is successful or not is another story. We'll see.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 10:39:58 AMSure, in 2010 and Option Routes and Audibles. Offenses are much more sophisticated now.

"Some coaches might disagree with that number. Guys coaching a West Coast offense will tell you they have 250 plays in their game plan every week. Technically, that's true, if they count all the various formations out of which they can run the same play. If they run a particular play out of an I-formation, with a single back, a split, or maybe even an empty backfield, they might consider that four different plays."

Just because they game plan a limited amount of plays, they still have up to 100 plays on the Menu and they have practiced them many times or they would not be on the card. Especially a simple basic screen play that I'm sure they practiced.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 11, 2023, 10:50:29 AMIf they have made that decision already in week one after deciding to give him this contract, then why did they do that? Gardner Minshew can run that type of offense for you almost as well (he's not as good of a runner but he's at least as good of a dink and dunk passer) for a tiny fraction of $40mm. Trubisky can too. Lots of these backup types can. There is just no reason to spend $40mm on a dink and dunk game manager in a training wheels passing offense. Colossal error on the front office's part if they really intend to keep the same offensive style as last year. I tend to think that's not the case. I think you see them open it up next week. Whether that is successful or not is another story. We'll see.

Oh I wasn't saying or implying they've come to that conclusion already.  What I was saying was that maybe down the road later this season or at the end of the season they come to that conclusion through trial and error.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 10:58:10 AMOh I wasn't saying or implying they've come to that conclusion already.  What I was saying was that maybe down the road later this season or at the end of the season they come to that conclusion through trial and error.

Gotcha.

Well I hope that doesn't end up being the case, but if it actually does, I don't think you'll see them spread out Jones' enormous 2024 cap hit to future years. I think they'll be inclined to take their lumps on him if that's the case. I hope it's not. I'm not going to jump to that conclusion after last night.

Ed Vette

Btw, the word is also out on Joe Burrow and the Bengals.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AYM

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 11:22:30 AMBtw, the word is also out on Joe Burrow and the Bengals.

I watched both games. We were dramatically worse.

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 11:22:30 AMBtw, the word is also out on Joe Burrow and the Bengals.

Joe Burrow took his team to the SB so you can let a bad game or two slide, What has Jones done? This has been his style for basically his entire career except for a game or 2.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jclayton92

Quote from: LennG on September 11, 2023, 11:43:34 AMJoe Burrow took his team to the SB so you can let a bad game or two slide, What has Jones done? This has been his style for basically his entire career except for a game or 2.
And yet people still get shredded on here constantly for not being sold on Jones, not being happy with the rotation at guard, and having issue with the rookie corners starting.

Seriously any time anyone brings up anything that isn't a giant love fest were we all sing "we are the champions" then everyone takes such offense. That happened this whole offseason and there was huge pushback.

I know most informed, but most informed doesn't always have to be most in love. The giants media is at fault here as well, they had a pillow party with this team all summer not asking anything hard or tough, not questioning Dabolls spa days, thibs horrible progress, if our rookie corners are actually good or if it's because they were facing a not good offense all day.

I hope the team and everyone soaks up this loss and hopefully brings the team, media, and the fans back down to earth. The last game we played before last night we got embarrassed in Philly and everyone forgot it and instead chose to remember the Vikings game, well we just had another embarrassing game. So let's man up because we are almost assuredly starting 1-2 so let's see where we go from here.

AYM

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 11, 2023, 11:58:03 AMAnd yet people still get shredded on here constantly for not being sold on Jones, not being happy with the rotation at guard, and having issue with the rookie corners starting.

Seriously any time anyone brings up anything that isn't a giant love fest were we all sing "we are the champions" then everyone takes such offense. That happened this whole offseason and there was huge pushback.

I know most informed, but most informed doesn't always have to be most in love. The giants media is at fault here as well, they had a pillow party with this team all summer not asking anything hard or tough, not questioning Dabolls spa days, thibs horrible progress, if our rookie corners are actually good or if it's because they were facing a not good offense all day.

I hope the team and everyone soaks up this loss and hopefully brings the team, media, and the fans back down to earth. The last game we played before last night we got embarrassed in Philly and everyone forgot it and instead chose to remember the Vikings game, well we just had another embarrassing game. So let's man up because we are almost assuredly starting 1-2 so let's see where we go from here.

Are you so sure we beat Arizona?