News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Word is out!

Started by Ed Vette, September 11, 2023, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: T200 on September 11, 2023, 01:52:07 PMParsons follows up his "I want to be great" talk with direct action. Thibs? Not so much. They're like a magic duo called "Now You See Me (Parsons), Now You Don't (Thibs)"  :hurt:

Thibs basically lines up in the same position on every play and only has one-speed rush move. Once the OL knows this, it is easy to take him out of the play. If he doesn't develo[p something new to keep the PL a bit off balance, he will be nothing more than a positional player and not an every down DE.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Trench

Quote from: LennG on September 11, 2023, 02:13:35 PMThibs basically lines up in the same position on every play and only has one-speed rush move. Once the OL knows this, it is easy to take him out of the play. If he doesn't develo[p something new to keep the PL a bit off balance, he will be nothing more than a positional player and not an every down DE.

Absolutely correct. Many went out of their way to defend Thibs last year. I wasn't impressed then and am not impressed now. The fact Wink went public on him this summer is key for me.

4 Aces

That dialogue earlier in the week when they asked Wink about Thibs vs. Parsons is cringeworthy. Parsons is a 1st Team All Pro and Thibs is JAG.

Rambo89

Quote from: Trench on September 11, 2023, 02:53:03 PMAbsolutely correct. Many went out of their way to defend Thibs last year. I wasn't impressed then and am not impressed now. The fact Wink went public on him this summer is key for me.

There is ability in him it's just a matter of getting it out of him.  I don't know how you do though.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kartanoman

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 11, 2023, 12:54:29 PMWhat we witnessed last night was truly remarkable in the worst way.  First drive they run the ball down their throats into the redzone.  Then on 3rd and 2 a false start, a bad snap and a block FG for a TD in one sequence.  And it went down hill from there. 

That game reminded of the Carolina game in 2013.  The OL (except Thomas) looked like they were in slow motion trying to block the opponent and were completely outclassed. 

There was at least two plays were Bredeson was asked to come across the formation to block a DE on a pass play and didn't make it within a yard of the guy he was supposed to hit.  Is Ezeudu supposedly more fleet of foot?  He couldn't win the job so I doubt it.  Is it poor play design to try and block a very fast team that way?  Is it something that a starting NFL guard should be able to do?

I know it's "overreaction Monday" but its very difficult not to look at how outclassed the line was and think they can improve to the point where they can be competitive. 

That is not to say that there weren't other glaring issues, but to me the OL not being able to block is like not knowing how to add and trying to take advanced math.  You need that foundation for any success. 

Maybe I shouldn't just single out the OL because there were so many other issues. 

Excellent post and your first paragraph may be something we look back as a microcosm of this entire season. They started punching them square in the face until they slipped the jab and slipped the ball past the quarterback and everything else, after that, slipped away for good. Why get cute on a rainy night when the wet ball is yet another risk to add on top of everything else we've mentioned?

Dare I say you're being kind when you mentioned that fiasco in Charlotte back in 2013. I was actually thinking of the season opener in 1995, when Phil Simms had his #11 retired at halftime, in the midst of the stench that Giant team was putting out to the fans as the Cowboys laughed their way through that 35-0 embarrassment.

The scarier thought of all these "Are we contender" posts is that I was thinking back to how Dave Brown and the 1994 Giants completed that crazy season with a six-game winning streak, to include dumping the Cowboys in the season finale, to end up 9-7 and heading into '95 with confidence they could compete. That Dallas beat-down took care of that idea and losses to GB and SF afterward made the reality set in that they were disillusioned.

I am very concerned now this 2023 Giants team is disillusioned and we're going to see whether or not Daboll can regroup and get these guys to shake this disaster off and get ready to play in 100+ degree heat this weekend (though the forecast suggests it will be 102 degrees ambient temperature at kickoff here, a breather for all of us who have endured more 110+ degree days this year than in any other in the history of AZ weather). The Cardinals played Washington tough on defense but, if the Giants can't get any pressure on Dobbs, he's going to have a field day running circles around the pash rushers and it will get ugly as the game goes on.

I don't want to see a repeat of the 1995 Giants.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 08:34:32 AMStunt and Blitz the Giants because their Offensive Line can't defeat it and Daniel Jones becomes a deer in the headlights, and is completely thrown off his game.

They better find an answer, otherwise this is going to be a long #ucking Season.

Papa and Banks completely agree.

https://youtu.be/L6yDrDo1Z_o?si=l8dWWwkhd2vJW7GY
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin