News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why Can't They Help the Offensive Line?

Started by Giant Jim, September 11, 2023, 01:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Jim

When will they learn that 5 guys can't block 7 or 8 or even 9 defenders? The Giants line has been weak for years now, but they keep upgrading their wide receivers. 3 WRs and pass catching TEs & RB that can only get 5 yards past the line of scrimmage before the QB is forced to throw or sacked ain't gonna work. I don't care if the trend is pass first offenses, old school football still can work. Gettleman signed and used high draft picks for WRs and now Scheon is doing the same. They need to help the line.

If Barkley is in on obvious passing plays, the TE needs to have a blocking assignment and stick with it whether it's a run or pass. I thought they did best last year with 2 TEs. They need to abandon 3 WRs and go back to 2. They need more FB/TEs on the field. Screen plays don't work because they don't have blockers able to allow the receiver to break free; they have other WRs doing nothing. TEs need to block and determine if they should continue blocking or the delay to the rusher was enough to prevent his man from getting to the QB before he can get open.

Since it's the very beginning of the season, I think Jalin Hyatt should be the outside receiver to draw a CB and eventually a safety with him. Sterling Sheppard or Isaiah Hodgins would be the perfect complement to Hyatt. After that, a TE or full back can be the 3rd receiver depending on the play called. Good receivers get open in time and good QBs find them.

A fullback in the backfield can help Barkley on running plays and pick up a rusher that gets thru on passing plays. They need to go to a run first offense and churn out first downs. Offensive linemen like to run block and since they're a work in progress, why not make it easier for them?

Throwing the ball that 2nd series in the rain was stupid. They didn't need to throw until the 3rd quarter or at least the 2nd quarter 2 minute warning.

DaveBrown74

We have a history now of getting it badly wrong on high OL draft picks. Flowers, Hernandez, and now possibly Neal all come to mind. Mid round picks like Peart and Ezeudu haven't been any better. We have been unable (for one reason or another) to materially help the line with FA. Either it has been a terrible signing (Solder) or just hoping that mediocre guys like Glowinski will help significantly, and they don't. We also have had no continuity with O line coaching, although I don't think that's the reason. It's been unstable though and some of these hires have been total clowns, including one that got into some sort of physical fight with the head coach.

I actually still think Schmitz will be good, but obviously my opinion needs to be proven on the field. Thomas is a stud, but is now hurt. After that, what do we have? Not much. And it's not because we haven't burned serious draft capital on the unit. We most certainly have.

T200

Why is it that in all the highlights of Parsons breaching the line, not one Giants OL engaged him? Instead, they pushed (ushered) him through the line to make a play.

Is that what they are coached/trained to do?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Kafka called a lousy game. You defeat the pass rush blitzes with screen passes as NE did. You keep a RB in and or a TE to pick up a block. That said, Jones has to move players to block if he sees a pre-snap read and he has to get rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds. There were open Receivers in the Flat, shallow middle, and sideline 3-5 yards with nobody covering them. He didn't look to them or he didn't pull the trigger. Bobby Skinner posted all the hits DJ took in the 4th quarter while down 40-0 and I know his point was, why was he in the game, but look at the few plays when Receivers were open. Why throw into double coverage downfield when Shep is open in the flat? Why have Saquon slip out for a checkdown if you're not going to hit him when he could have stayed in to block?
https://twitter.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1701262192870343129?s=20
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan
Pass block win rates for Giants vs Cowboys: (rate + ranking)

LT Andrew Thomas 88% (32nd)
RT Evan Neal 70.6% (59th)
LG Ben Bredeson 90.0% (32nd)
RG Mark Glowinski 75.8% (56th)
C JM Schmitz 90.3% (18th)

Neal was 59th out of 60 qualifying tackles in Week 1. Glowinski was 56th out of 58 qualifying guards. I went back and watched all seven sacks. You can comfortably say five were on the right side of the line.

Schmitz, meanwhile, was 18th of 29 qualifying centers.
9:42 AM · Sep 11, 2023
·
 Views

https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/1701229821496279251?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 02:08:47 PMKafka called a lousy game. You defeat the pass rush blitzes with screen passes as NE did. You keep a RB in and or a TE to pick up a block. That said, Jones has to move players to block if he sees a pre-snap read and he has to get rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds. There were open Receivers in the Flat, shallow middle, and sideline 3-5 yards with nobody covering them. He didn't look to them or he didn't pull the trigger. Bobby Skinner posted all the hits DJ took in the 4th quarter while down 40-0 and I know his point was, why was he in the game, but look at the few plays when Receivers were open. Why throw into double coverage downfield when Shep is open in the flat? Why have Saquon slip out for a checkdown if you're not going to hit him when he could have stayed in to block?
https://twitter.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1701262192870343129?s=20

I see what you are saying on a bunch of those plays. this is my problem with the play calling. obviously we dont know exactly what was designed, but its obvious to me we should have gone to a short quick passing game. HAVE TO start using barkley as a receiver out of the backfield. every other team in the league does this when they face a tough pass rush. how many looks did he even get?

Ed Vette

Quote from: B1GBLUE on September 11, 2023, 02:25:54 PMI see what you are saying on a bunch of those plays. this is my problem with the play calling. obviously we dont know exactly what was designed, but its obvious to me we should have gone to a short quick passing game. HAVE TO start using barkley as a receiver out of the backfield. every other team in the league does this when they face a tough pass rush. how many looks did he even get?
Especially if you had 7 sacks. A lightbulb has to go off in your head.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 03:02:41 PMEspecially if you had 7 sacks. A lightbulb has to go off in your head.

right. we are all "armchair qb's", but its plain as day. when the rush is getting to you in 2 seconds, you call plays that only take 1.5

shadowspinner0

I'm honestly starting to think that it may be coaching more so than just not having the right talent. You see some of the great OL coaches consistently have great OLs. Bill Callahan had a great OL in Washington. Went to Cleveland and they had a great OL as well. Patriots always had a good OL during their title years and that included Nate Solder. We get him and he sucks. Jeff Stoutland is possibly the best right now since no matter who he plugs in their, the Eagles always have a great OL. The Bills fanbase were not sad to see Bobby Johnson leave.

Philosophers

Quote from: B1GBLUE on September 11, 2023, 03:49:08 PMright. we are all "armchair qb's", but its plain as day. when the rush is getting to you in 2 seconds, you call plays that only take 1.5

Not a good plan cuz if you cant block at all, then 11 defenders play near the LOS and defeat all quick plays across to both sidelines.  Nothing is more important than protection.

Jaime

Methinks for us, it's a combo of both. Thomas looked like a bust. But now is a top five OT. We may have a star Center in the making. He adjusted nicely to weather conditions. Can it get any brighter than last nite :goteam:
Neal is a big fat BUST!!! Our Guards are mediocre at best :Faint:
Is it possible we can coach up the OL we have? Or do we try out our depth? Maybe a Trade of some kind :hmm:

beaugestus

If you think about it, you have 300+ Lb men playing against some of the better athletes in the league and ask to run and pass block them. As we have witnessed the league is bereft of OL talent. It's not that the Giants have not tried to improve these positions.

I have heard and read over the years that HCs over the years have for years whether in HS and college were putting their best athletes on the defensive side of the ball and had put their rest on the offensive side.