News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

@TalkinGiants 6 Plays where DJ left something on the field

Started by Ed Vette, September 11, 2023, 03:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 03:50:33 PMAnd only on BBH will someone with a negative take on Daniel Jones get their words twisted and mocked to defend Jones.

that simply isn't true.  I don't even dare to defend Jones, because I know I will be falsely accused of all sorts of nonsense..  The best I can do is address factual issues, and that's it.  Too many people are too strongly invested in their opinions of Jones to have any sort of reasoned discussion.  The only other thing I will say is that I strongly suspect the overblown and overstated criticisms of our starting QB are likely off putting to many fans.  That's about all I am going to say on the issue. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

There is no "bigger issue" the entire team and entire coaching staff were all the issue, they all sucked.

But, I am sure that will get spun to me being Anti DJ somehow.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 03:53:26 PMIt goes back to the point I had last week about their being an insane level of sensitivity any time any criticism of Daniel Jones is brought up.  And to be clear this isn't a shot at any person but rather a theme I've noticed in these discussions.

Is it "hypersensitivity" or is it the natural reaction some will have to excessive and overstated criticisms that are often hyperbolic?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2023, 03:55:49 PMthat simply isn't true.  I don't even dare to defend Jones, because I know I will be falsely accused of all sorts of nonsense..  The best I can do is address factual issues, and that's it.  Too many people are too strongly invested in their opinions of Jones to have any sort of reasoned discussion.  The only other thing I will say is that I strongly suspect the overblown and overstated criticisms of our starting QB are likely off putting to many fans.  That's about all I am going to say on the issue. 
And Babywhales pointed out a very concerning issue and a very valid one at that. He never said Jones was the biggest problem last night, but you twisted his words to push that. I think you need to be more balanced Rich. Every article that praises Jones, you post. If someone has a negative view you oppose them. Most everyone here was optimistic about Jones' development going into this season. The last thing we want is the David Sills of QB's. The media has been very kind to Jones so far and they have been drinking the Kool-Aid. Jones Wasn't the reason the Giants lost last night. But he was one of the reasons they lost 40-0.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on September 11, 2023, 04:07:33 PMThere is no "bigger issue" the entire team and entire coaching staff were all the issue, they all sucked.

But, I am sure that will get spun to me being Anti DJ somehow.

The first part I completely agree with.  One or a handful of players it's on the play, and maybe the position coach.  Nearly the entire team, it's clearly on the coaching staff.

To the second claim, that is an example of the sort of hyperbole that is often characterizes much of the Jones criticism
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 03:57:17 PMWhat does this have to do with these 6 plays where Jones left something on the field? 

5 out of those 6 plays DJ almost immediately felt pressure. Half of them he had to flee the pocket while being chased because of that pressure.

The only one without pressure was the throw to Hyatt which, while behind him, should be caught 99 times out of 100. That ball was VERY catchable.

I can't help you see the correlation if you don't want to.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 03:57:17 PMWhat does this have to do with these 6 plays where Jones left something on the field? 
It's the Whatabout reaction. It happens a lot in politics and when someone needs to defend Jones from criticism.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2023, 04:10:18 PMIs it "hypersensitivity" or is it the natural reaction some will have to excessive and overstated criticisms that are often hyperbolic?

How can this post be made when you claim not to defend Jones?

Why can't it be a collective team failure? Why is DJ exempt, better yet what did he do to be exempt from criticism last night?

I don't think the loss falls solely on him, I have been consistent in that it was a full on team stinkfest, players and coaches both, no one person is solely to blame for what transpired, no one person can make their team lose in historicaly bad fashion.

I truly don't think anyone is saying he was the biggest problem, he was one of many many different problems last night

If we want to rank the issues, surely the OL would be up there. But as evidenced Jones had some bad moments, so did the WRs, Defense, Specials, no pass rush, bad coverage, no turnovers, missed kick, blocked kick, bad snaps, questionable calls and decisions, list goes on

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2023, 04:10:18 PMIs it "hypersensitivity" or is it the natural reaction some will have to excessive and overstated criticisms that are often hyperbolic?

When people are repeating in multiple threads that Jones and the entire team were awful last night it's hypersensitivity and seeing something that isn't there.  The hyperbole is with the defense of Jones any time any criticism is discussed where it's taken as hating Jones or being anti Jones.

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 11, 2023, 04:13:03 PM5 out of those 6 plays DJ almost immediately felt pressure. Half of them he had to flee the pocket while being chased because of that pressure.

The only one without pressure was the throw to Hyatt which, while behind him, should be caught 99 times out of 100. That ball was VERY catchable.

I can't help you see the correlation if you don't want to.

There were plays to be made that he missed on each of these plays.  That's the discussion here.  If it's your opinion that these weren't on Jones that's fine.  But this thread is to discuss his play on these specific plays.  There are plenty of other threads discussing the poor offensive line play.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 04:19:15 PMWhen people are repeating in multiple threads that Jones and the entire team were awful last night it's hypersensitivity and seeing something that isn't there.  The hyperbole is with the defense of Jones any time any criticism is discussed where it's taken as hating Jones or being anti Jones.

There were plays to be made that he missed on each of these plays.  That's the discussion here.  If it's your opinion that these weren't on Jones that's fine.  But this thread is to discuss his play on these specific plays.  There are plenty of other threads discussing the poor offensive line play.

Play the thread police with someone else. DJ faced pressure on 5 of those 6 plays, and the numbers I shared tell that story. That is 100% appropriate for this thread. Don't like it? Don't read it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 11, 2023, 04:11:12 PMAnd Babywhales pointed out a very concerning issue and a very valid one at that. He never said Jones was the biggest problem last night, but you twisted his words to push that. I think you need to be more balanced Rich. Every article that praises Jones, you post. If someone has a negative view you oppose them. Most everyone here was optimistic about Jones' development going into this season. The last thing we want is the David Sills of QB's. The media has been very kind to Jones so far and they have been drinking the Kool-Aid. Jones Wasn't the reason the Giants lost last night. But he was one of the reasons they lost 40-0.

Chris said that he thought what he considered poor decision-making on two throws was "more concerning the line blocking moving forward." 

It's also a fact that the only person I heard make that claim on social media or many podcasts was Chris.

You also "forgot" that I post negative commentary on Jones as well (I assume that's just an oversight on your part).

There were a good number of holdouts who still hold very negative views of Jones and they have been quite vocal about that views.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 11, 2023, 04:22:13 PMPlay the thread police with someone else. DJ faced pressure on 5 of those 6 plays, and the numbers I shared tell that story. That is 100% appropriate for this thread. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Ok, and those number have been posted 1,000x's since last night.  We all know the offensive line was awful.  It is possible to acknowledge that and at the same time acknowledge the plays Jones left on the field and that he didn't play well.  One doesn't absolve the other.

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2023, 04:24:07 PMThere were a good number of holdouts who still hold very negative views of Jones and they have been quite vocal about that views.

Can we all agree that having the view that Daniel Jones is an average Starting QB is not holding a negative view on him?  If we want to be fair and not create a hyperbole I don't see how we can disagree.

Jclayton92

Jones had a horrible game along with the rest of the team. The guy only threw over 200 yards 6 times last year and yet people were expecting the greatest show on turf last night. The expectations for a year 2 rebuild and a Qb who has had only 1 good season out of 4 were completely blown out of proportion all summer.

Couple that with the majority here not wanting to hear a single negative thing about Jones. Even when people were trying to simply say don't read too much into 1 series in the preseason they got their heads ripped off because this was going to be a top 5 offense etc etc while ignoring we have virtually the same Wrs and oline as last year + an aging TE that looks great but can't stay healthy. The warning signs were everywhere but because the media and Fandom have been so tired of losing, its so much easier to just hope things work out and ignore actual criticisms.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 04:27:03 PMCan we all agree that having the view that Daniel Jones is an average Starting QB is not holding a negative view on him?  If we want to be fair and not create a hyperbole I don't see how we can disagree.

Greg,

I don't disagree you have made that statement and in isolation saying Jones is an average QB isn't negative.  Have you ever looked back on your posts?  How often do you praise Jones compared to criticize him?  How often do you make excuses for other QBs, in an effort to make Jones look bad by comparison? 

I can appreciate your point, but that belief doesn't seem to match how you talk about the man.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE