News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Must. Not. O. Ver. Re. Act

Started by coggs, September 11, 2023, 07:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

It is one game.  Relax. I can't believe me of all people has to be the voice of reason.  Yes, last night sucked.  I was there.  Left after the D*ll*s TD in 3rd quarter.  I just do not understand why they practically abandoned the run after the first drive when they ran the ball effectively during the opening drive.  AND, D*ll*s's weakness on D is stopping the run up the middle.  Also thought Jones should have been taken out in the 3rd.  But, whatever.  Beat Arizona.

MightyGiants

Quote from: coggs on September 11, 2023, 07:09:28 PMIt is one game.  Relax. I can't believe me of all people has to be the voice of reason.  Yes, last night sucked.  I was there.  Left after the D*ll*s TD in 3rd quarter.  I just do not understand why they practically abandoned the run after the first drive when they ran the ball effectively during the opening drive.  AND, D*ll*s's weakness on D is stopping the run up the middle.  Also thought Jones should have been taken out in the 3rd.  But, whatever.  Beat Arizona.

They mentioned the same thing on the big Blue Banter podcast.  After the blocked FG attempt they seemed to abandon what got them there in the first place (as you laid out).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Horrible coaching was to me the main reason we lost. We were not put in position to succeed

DaveBrown74

It's a good attitude to have now I guess, as we kind of don't have a choice, but many on this board were insisting that this game was a massively important "must-win" and critical tone setter for the season that would have huge implications towards where we end up.

It seems that view has now been abandoned given the historically horrible result.

T200

I never gave into the season opener having much meaning regardless of the venue or opponent.

Yeah, it is absolutely embarrassing to be thoroughly manhandled in all facets of the game and put up nary a fight. Having it done in our own stadium, in the very first game, against a hated rival, makes it exponentially worse. Despite the historic record of ineptitude that was set by the Giants, it still only counts as one loss.

Win next week and it does several things:

- Shows that Daboll and crew have resilience
- Shows the team has a short memory and isn't dwelling on it as much as the fans are
- Puts the Giants' record at 1-1

The season continues...
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

Quote from: T200 on September 11, 2023, 08:32:38 PMI never gave into the season opener having much meaning regardless of the venue or opponent.

Yeah, it is absolutely embarrassing to be thoroughly manhandled in all facets of the game and put up nary a fight. Having it done in our own stadium, in the very first game, against a hated rival, makes it exponentially worse. Despite the historic record of ineptitude that was set by the Giants, it still only counts as one loss.

Win next week and it does several things:

- Shows that Daboll and crew have resilience
- Shows the team has a short memory and isn't dwelling on it as much as the fans are
- Puts the Giants' record at 1-1

The season continues...
Like I put in another thread Dallas got manhandled and embarrassed last season opening day vs the bucs, they just werent prepared and I guarantee you all offseason they were gearing up to make sure that didn't happen again so they came out with a completely different intensity that 90% of the NFL teams did week 1.

Dallas ended up returning the favor in the playoffs last season so not all hope is lost.

coggs

Now, if they lose to Arizona?  React at will as it will be impossible to OVERreact to that one.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 11, 2023, 08:12:46 PMIt's a good attitude to have now I guess, as we kind of don't have a choice, but many on this board were insisting that this game was a massively important "must-win" and critical tone setter for the season that would have huge implications towards where we end up.

It seems that view has now been abandoned given the historically horrible result.

I was one who said "must win"...I stand by it because now look at what we are dealing with. Must win is not the same (to me) as an elimination game.

Bob In PA

Quote from: coggs on September 11, 2023, 07:09:28 PMIt is one game.  Relax. I can't believe me of all people has to be the voice of reason.  Yes, last night sucked.  I was there.  Left after the D*ll*s TD in 3rd quarter.  I just do not understand why they practically abandoned the run after the first drive when they ran the ball effectively during the opening drive.  AND, D*ll*s's weakness on D is stopping the run up the middle.  Also thought Jones should have been taken out in the 3rd.  But, whatever.  Beat Arizona.

coggs: Really nice job. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on September 11, 2023, 09:24:12 PMI was one who said "must win"...I stand by it because now look at what we are dealing with. Must win is not the same (to me) as an elimination game.

Fair enough Trench, and no doubt the perception around this team today is dramatically different from what it was before Sunday night.

Also, to your point, I would love someone to show me a team that lost by at least 5 scores at home in week one who went on to win a Super Bowl. In fact I'd be curious to see if anyone who had that bad of a home loss in week one even made the playoffs. If that has ever happened, I bet it has not been more than a very small number of times in league history.

Fast Eddie Felson

It`s a passing league. One penalty or a loss of yardage and you`ll have to pass.
If anyone thinks Glowinski is going to become a better pass blocker - they`re delusional.
If anyone thinks Evan Neal is somehow going to become much quicker out of his stance- they`re delusional.
If I`m the Cardinals, I`m already putting in my speed rushers on the outside on passing downs.
Sunday night was a cumulative multiple Management > coaching > player fiasco.

kingm56

Quote from: coggs on September 11, 2023, 09:21:48 PMNow, if they lose to Arizona?  React at will as it will be impossible to OVERreact to that one.

If they crush Az, you'll see an overaction in the opposite direction; most fans seem to believe football is a linear sport.  As Tim said, I could care less about opening day as it tells us little.  If you believe the Giants will win 10+ games, you should continue to do so. We'll know more after five games. 

coggs

Quote from: Fast Eddie Felson on September 12, 2023, 02:30:13 PMIt`s a passing league. One penalty or a loss of yardage and you`ll have to pass.
If anyone thinks Glowinski is going to become a better pass blocker - they`re delusional.
If anyone thinks Evan Neal is somehow going to become much quicker out of his stance- they`re delusional.
If I`m the Cardinals, I`m already putting in my speed rushers on the outside on passing downs.
Sunday night was a cumulative multiple Management > coaching > player fiasco.

Why do I hav*e the feeling that whoever the Cardinals can put out there will not be nearly as good as who the C*wb*ys put out there?

TDToomer

Quote from: coggs on September 13, 2023, 08:35:51 PMWhy do I hav*e the feeling that whoever the Cardinals can put out there will not be nearly as good as who the C*wb*ys put out there?

Because the Cowboys roster is way better and way more talented. The Cards have no QB.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs