News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do we need to be fixed for us to take the next step?

Started by DragonSoul, September 11, 2023, 11:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSoul

1. Guards
2. Neal - let's see how the season progresses, he may improve, if not, we may need to move him.
3. ST coaching and I'm still iffy about the punter.

Another observation. Last year when the oline was having issues and the weapons around DJ weren't great, we went quick plays/passes. I'm surprised that they didn't try to work on that more. Also, the guards that were trying to pull, got beat every time by the defense. The defense got there before the guards. Why wasn't that changed as well?

Again, it was just the first game and it could have just been a one-off on many counts, but the ST and guards are a big concern.

Rambo89

The entire roster and coaching staff has to up their game.  You can't play worse or looked less prepared than they did Sunday night so it's not complicated or just one thing that needs to improve
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

RelaxTension

A few of the things I have been concerned with the oline happened on Sunday.
I don't understand how the oline got worse and can't handle a stunt.
Who's idea was it to think the Guards should pull and block the outside rusher and continue to do it after they failed a few times?
Looking to see how Daboll handles this and gets the team ready for the rest of the season is what this year is shaping up to be.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Ed Vette

My guess is they do nothing. The starting lineup didn't have any real game reps except for one series since their loss to Philadelphia last January. They came in with a different intensity and had no basis of cohesion. The blame falls on Daboll and he knows it, so I doubt he has any knee jerk reactions. Although, Glowinski might be replaced. I still wonder if a rookie Center should shoulder part of the blame. Hopefully Thomas is ok. I don't see them giving up on Neal just yet. The game was moving too fast for them.

As most pundits noted, the game spiraled out of control after being down 16-0. Kafka did nothing to slow down the Dallas pass rush and called a lousy game. The Giants also made mistakes and had some bad calls go against them. I also think they had Daniel Jones Snap cadence down and Jones did nothing to move players around to protect the pocket. Anyone who saw the NE-Philly or the Jets Buffalo game saw how they mitigated the pass rush.

Jones was totally rattled after doing nothing more than pitch and catch all year and although he played poorly, he was in a bad situation with the poor protection and bad play calling. Whoever was Coaching him on the sidelines did nothing to help him.

The good part is the Defense less the pass rush did a pretty good job. The Rookie Corners played solid. Prescott did not have a good day either. I'm actually wondering if Flott might be a better Nickel than Adoree and they need to keep Holmes off the field.

A week of practice and lots of film should get them back on track. If they lose to AZ, then they will surely wind up 0-3 and then we would see more changes.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I am not sure there is an external fix.  I think if this team is going to get better, it's going to be with the people on the people who are now in the building.  I just don't see any sort of savior available outside of the building.  For better or for worse, they are who they are.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

RelaxTension

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 12, 2023, 08:19:18 AMMy guess is they do nothing. The starting lineup didn't have any real game reps except for one series since their loss to Philadelphia last January. They came in with a different intensity and had no basis of cohesion. The blame falls on Daboll and he knows it, so I doubt he has any knee jerk reactions. Although, Glowinski might be replaced. I still wonder if a rookie Center should shoulder part of the blame. Hopefully Thomas is ok. I don't see them giving up on Neal just yet. The game was moving too fast for them.

As most pundits noted, the game spiraled out of control after being down 16-0. Kafka did nothing to slow down the Dallas pass rush and called a lousy game. The Giants also made mistakes and had some bad calls go against them. I also think they had Daniel Jones Snap cadence down and Jones did nothing to move players around to protect the pocket. Anyone who saw the NE-Philly or the Jets Buffalo game saw how they mitigated the pass rush.

Jones was totally rattled after doing nothing more than pitch and catch all year and although he played poorly, he was in a bad situation with the poor protection and bad play calling. Whoever was Coaching him on the sidelines did nothing to help him.

The good part is the Defense less the pass rush did a pretty good job. The Rookie Corners played solid. Prescott did not have a good day either. I'm actually wondering if Flott might be a better Nickel than Adoree and they need to keep Holmes off the field.

A week of practice and lots of film should get them back on track. If they lose to AZ, then they will surely wind up 0-3 and then we would see more changes.

Flott is one of those players who seems to always be injured.

RelaxTension

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 12, 2023, 08:36:43 AMI am not sure there is an external fix.  I think if this team is going to get better, it's going to be with the people on the people who are now in the building.  I just don't see any sort of savior available outside of the building.  For better or for worse, they are who they are.
This is shaping up to being a learning experience for Daboll and Schoen who were magical last season but that doesn't help you grow and become better as fast as making some mistakes in personel will do.
Next season with the cap space it'll be interesting to see how they build the team once they have some capital to spend and more experience seeing how players can develop.

T200

This was the first full game for the starters. Let them get a couple of more games in and I think they will be fine.

You don't change your lifestyle because a tornado ripped through your town, devastating as it was.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 12, 2023, 08:36:43 AMI am not sure there is an external fix.  I think if this team is going to get better, it's going to be with the people on the people who are now in the building.  I just don't see any sort of savior available outside of the building.  For better or for worse, they are who they are.

This is my take as well. As bad as Sunday night was, you're not going to get anyone at this point who is going to make a material difference unless you give up huge assets. Just 48 hours ago, we were pretty optimistic about this team. I don't think you make major changes after one game unless it's due to some drastic, severe injury to one of your top players (eg the Jets). I think the Giants need to have as good a week of practice as they can and just focus on every single player and coach doing a much better job this weekend.

EDjohnst1981

I'm not sure of the answer but I do believe there is a wider problem of being able to compete with the best teams in the conference, in their last two games they have lost be a combined score of 78-7.

If Dak was getting the ball out of his hands in 2.1 seconds, why can't Jones - not even Parsons would be in your grill within 2 seconds.

It's not all on Jones but if he needs to get the ball out quicker to mitigate a pass rush, that's something he ought to be able to figure out in his 5th year.

And if he can't figure it out, I think you need to question whether that 40mil a year deal was worth it when you can plug anyone else in to win 4-5 games a season.

Trench

External fix is Pugh in the short term. He has a proven track record at least

jgrangers2

They are what they are. It's probably an average, at best, roster in terms of talent. They can hang with most teams but aren't remotely on par with the best teams (there aren't a whole lot of those). Realistically, they needed a reset but the success last year made that difficult, especially with playing themselves out of potentially getting one of the top QBs in the draft.

We still don't have a premier edge rusher or receiver and our O-line still has one proven commodity (I fully believe in JMS for the record, he's just not proven). If you compared us unit by unit to the Cowboys and Eagles, where are we better than them? Where are we even close? This was always a multi-year rebuild. The roster Schoen inherited was just too thin for it to be anything else.

GloryDays

Quote from: DragonSoul on September 11, 2023, 11:21:22 PM1. Guards
2. Neal - let's see how the season progresses, he may improve, if not, we may need to move him.
3. ST coaching and I'm still iffy about the punter.

Another observation. Last year when the oline was having issues and the weapons around DJ weren't great, we went quick plays/passes. I'm surprised that they didn't try to work on that more. Also, the guards that were trying to pull, got beat every time by the defense. The defense got there before the guards. Why wasn't that changed as well?

Again, it was just the first game and it could have just been a one-off on many counts, but the ST and guards are a big concern.
The punter?! He was the only bright spot in that shitshow!!
I think this O line has a real problem, same as it has been for years 😡
Evaluating O line talent is apparently not easy and our team does not have it either.. we have invested a lot of draft capital on the unit and we still need 3 players, plus depth!!! It's amazing how they can miss with so much resources!!!

expatriot

40-0?  EVERYTHING needs to be fixed.  That was a pathetic embarrassment. An 80 year old in a wheelchair can block better than Glowinski.