News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Micah Parsons defends Jones, slams Daboll

Started by Ed Vette, September 12, 2023, 09:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

DaveBrown74

Not often you see an opposing player on a winning team criticize the losing coach.

Bob In PA

I would not expect anything less of a Penn State-er.  Bob

PS. But consider... Jones may have insisted he be allowed to finish the game and Daboll might have acceded to that request (for whatever reason). Not saying it was a good idea, but there are always two sides to issues like that. For example, if it were at all humanly possible for Rodgers to have hobbled back out there and continued playing last night, I think he too would have insisted... and Saleh would also have had trouble saying no. Just a thought.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 12, 2023, 09:13:41 AMI would not expect anything less of a Penn State-er.  Bob

PS. But consider... Jones may have insisted he be allowed to finish the game and Daboll might have acceded to that request (for whatever reason). Not saying it was a good idea, but there are always two sides to issues like that. For example, if it were at all humanly possible for Rodgers to have hobbled back out there and continued playing last night, I think he too would have insisted... and Saleh would also have had trouble saying no. Just a thought.

I think you're right, Bob; one thing about DJ, he's a tough/pridefull kid.

T200

I'm curious - when did Parsons leave the game? When did Prescott leave?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on September 12, 2023, 09:34:52 AMI'm curious - when did Parsons leave the game? When did Prescott leave?

I think Prescott left in the 4th qtr; it was hard to tell when Parsons left...he was in the Giants backfield so often, I thought he was on our offense.

True Blue

Daboll deserves criticism here, a lot of questionable things went down this week.

Ed Vette

For sure once the game was 40-0 he should have been pulled. I didn't finish watching the game and at that point, Jones should have been pulled. Some were calling for him to be pulled in the third Qtr. I didn't agree with that. There is also something to be said for giving the backup some playing time too.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Is DJ a bad quarterback? Not in Parsons' mind.

"Daniel Jones is not a bad quarterback," he said. "Some of you may think that he's a bad quarterback and why'd they sign him? You have to remember, Daniel Jones just went against a top-3 defense. They're still learning to gel together. . . It's only his second year with Brian Daboll. He gets grace. I think nowadays we don't give the same grace as we (did) with guys like Peyton Manning when they came into the league.

"The reality is, he's a really good player."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 12, 2023, 09:49:08 AMFor sure once the game was 40-0 he should have been pulled. I didn't finish watching the game and at that point, Jones should have been pulled. Some were calling for him to be pulled in the third Qtr. I didn't agree with that. There is also something to be said for giving the backup some playing time too.

I think the Cowboys pulled their starters in early 4th quarter? They should have followed suit soon after, Jones and others stayed in too long for sure.

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 12, 2023, 09:51:17 AMIs DJ a bad quarterback? Not in Parsons' mind.

"Daniel Jones is not a bad quarterback," he said. "Some of you may think that he's a bad quarterback and why'd they sign him? You have to remember, Daniel Jones just went against a top-3 defense. They're still learning to gel together. . . It's only his second year with Brian Daboll. He gets grace. I think nowadays we don't give the same grace as we (did) with guys like Peyton Manning when they came into the league.

Classy statement. Good on Parsons.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 12, 2023, 09:51:17 AMIs DJ a bad quarterback? Not in Parsons' mind.

Rich, Parsons is factually incorrect:

1. I don't believe his original premise is accurate. From what I've read, the majority feel DJ is average-to-good. I believe the notion that he's a 'bad qb' represents a minority perspective.
2. The Giants returned 8 of 11 starters.  Why do they need extra time to gel?  This is virtually the same offense from 2022, with the same HC/OC.
3. Peyton Manning was an odd example - he was a Pro Bowler by his second and third seasons.  What grace did Payton Manning require? In fact, Manning proves the opposite of the point he's trying to make. Moreover, there are valid reason teams jettison QBs early; it's based on analytics and probability statistics. Finally, DJ is entering his 5th season...I think he's got plenty of grace.  This entire line was factually incorrect and just odd.

No objection with his overall point, DJ is a good QB.  BTW, of course he wants DJ to remain the Giants QB; the Cowboys have KILLED the Giants during DJ's tenure.  =))

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on September 12, 2023, 10:27:57 AMClassy statement. Good on Parsons.

Peace!

You know, coming out, there were character concerns.  Statements like this one make me wonder why.  The Giants supposedly had an "in" with the Penn State program in the form of "coach Chaos," and yet they traded down rather than drafting him.  I have to think that was a character rather than a talent issue.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on September 12, 2023, 10:41:16 AMRich, Parsons is factually incorrect:

1. I don't believe his original premise is accurate. From what I've read, the majority feel DJ is average-to-good. I believe the notion that he's a 'bad qb' represents a minority perspective.
2. The Giants returned 8 of 11 starters.  Why do they need extra time to gel?  This is virtually the same offense from 2022, with the same HC/OC.
3. Peyton Manning was an odd example - he was a Pro Bowler by his second and third seasons.  What grace did Payton Manning require? In fact, Manning proves the opposite of the point he's trying to make. Moreover, there are valid reason teams jettison QBs early; also, DJ is entering his 5th season. I think he's got plenty of grace.

No objection with his overall point, DJ is a good QB.  BTW, of course he wants DJ to remain the Giants QB; the Cowboys have KILLED the Giants during DJ's tenure.  =))

I find it interesting that players on rival teams think more highly of Daniel Jones than some of the team's fanbase.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE