News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mike Lombardi on the Cowboy/Giants game

Started by MightyGiants, September 12, 2023, 02:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

As Mike has been a frequent critic of the Giants, I was dreading (a little bit) to hear his take on the loss.  His comments were surprising and not what I was expecting.  The Giants game is discussed 2:45 into the video

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Rich,

What part did you find surprising?  I think he nailed what some of us were talking about; specifically, the notion that a simple team change is going to dramatically change a players direction (i.e. Parris into Rice). He seemed to criticized the Giants for passing, when they have QB who doesn't appear to have that ability...I think he's been consistent with that message. He stated the Giants beat bad teams and get blown out against the NFL better teams.  Again, all consistent messages from him. He also suggest that DJ is not capable of becoming a better passer, and the Giants should focus on what they did last year. He did explicitly callout Neil for being awful.  I found his message consistent with his other views, as they relate to the Giants.   

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on September 12, 2023, 02:58:02 PMRich,

What part did you find surprising?  I think he nailed what some of us were talking about; specifically, the notion that a simple team change is going to dramatically change a players direction (i.e. Parris into Rice). He seemed to criticized the Giants for passing, when they have QB who doesn't appear to have that ability...I think he's been consistent with that message. He stated the Giants beat bad teams and get blown out against the NFL better teams.  Again, all consistent messages from him. He also suggest that DJ is not capable of becoming a better passer, and the Giants should focus on what they did last year. He did explicitly callout Neil for being awful.  I found his message consistent with his other views, as they relate to the Giants.   

Mike repeating his claims about Jones (which I have my doubts are correct), wasn't the surprise.  The surprise was after being crucified for saying the Giants suffered from the disease me.  After the blowout, Mike could have easily declared vindication, but he actually seemed to go in the opposite direction.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 12, 2023, 03:09:37 PMMike repeating his claims about Jones (which I have my doubts are correct), wasn't the surprise.  The surprise was after being crucified for saying the Giants suffered from the disease me.  After the blowout, Mike could have easily declared vindication, but he actually seemed to go in the opposite direction.

I didn't find that surprising; as a former GM, he knows the first game is just that...one game.  Teams rarely finish the season how they start it. He would look like a fool if he attempted to declare victory after a single game. 

Rambo89

Quote from: kingm56 on September 12, 2023, 02:58:02 PMRich,

Despite what his haters believe I've found Lombardi to be fair in his assessment of the Giants even if he says things that aren't pleasant.  I don't always agree with him though.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

For what it's worth, he's got a good argument. Is it worth it staying the course trying to be something they aren't? Especially if they can't protect Daniel Jones?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 12, 2023, 03:35:35 PMFor what it's worth, he's got a good argument. Is it worth it staying the course trying to be something they aren't? Especially if they can't protect Daniel Jones?

I will add, choosing the Dallas game with their fierce pass rush, was not the best pick for trying something new.

I appreciate the need to be more explosive on offense.  I just dont see how they we so confident that the O-line would take care of business.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 12, 2023, 03:46:17 PMI will add, choosing the Dallas game with their fierce pass rush, was not the best pick for trying something new.

I appreciate the need to be more explosive on offense.  I just dont see how they we so confident that the O-line would take care of business.

They had a choice of plays to choose and they abandoned the run and DJ didn't look to the open screens and short crosses. He stuck with the play call. Daboll and Kafka didn't make adjustments. So much unnecessary pressure and the RB's and Bellinger weren't properly utilized in Pass Protection. Dallas tied up JMS with Parsons so it left Gollinski and Neal on their own. My niece could have called a better game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 12, 2023, 03:35:35 PMFor what it's worth, he's got a good argument. Is it worth it staying the course trying to be something they aren't? Especially if they can't protect Daniel Jones?

Also it complicates things for Jones who doesn't typically see the whole field to begin with.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 12, 2023, 05:00:43 PMThey had a choice of plays to choose and they abandoned the run and DJ didn't look to the open screens and short crosses. He stuck with the play call. Daboll and Kafka didn't make adjustments. So much unnecessary pressure and the RB's and Bellinger weren't properly utilized in Pass Protection. Dallas tied up JMS with Parsons so it left Gollinski and Neal on their own. My niece could have called a better game.

What got me is the best weapon against a stunting and twisting defense is to rush.   Those stunts and twists are great for confusing blockers, but they leave you vulnerable to rushes because the defenders are out of position for a bit.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 12, 2023, 05:35:44 PMWhat got me is the best weapon against a stunting and twisting defense is to rush.   Those stunts and twists are great for confusing blockers, but they leave you vulnerable to rushes because the defenders are out of position for a bit.
How many stunts did Dallas throw at them?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin