News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Positives and Issues

Started by Leek21, September 13, 2023, 09:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: Philosophers on September 13, 2023, 06:44:30 PMMy 1 real issue was that Dabs said he had no interest in taking DJ out even at 33-0 as he just wanted to get something positive out even if meaningless.  So would an ending TD in a blown out loss have really been worthwhile if it meant losing your QB to a season ending injury?  Sorry but that was a mistake and frankly a reckless one.

I think because Jones hadn't received a lot of reps in the pre season that he wanted him out there to get as many as possible.  If this was week 7-8 or later I don't think he would have left Jones in.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Philosophers

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 13, 2023, 07:37:17 PMI think because Jones hadn't received a lot of reps in the pre season that he wanted him out there to get as many as possible.  If this was week 7-8 or later I don't think he would have left Jones in.

That was my issue with how Dabs ran preseason.  Starters needed to play and they didn't.  Stupid.

coggs

Quote from: Philosophers on September 13, 2023, 09:51:51 PMThat was my issue with how Dabs ran preseason.  Starters needed to play and they didn't.  Stupid.
I am wondering how much does the 17 game regular season play into this.  Before it was standard.  PS1- Starters play 1 series, maybe 2.  PS2- Starters play into early 2nd qtr.  PS3- Starters usually play 1 series into the 3rd quarter.  PS4- most starters sit and it is for the bubble guys to make the team or at least have a good showing to hope to get signed by another team if they get cut.  Now?  It is literally a 3 game tryout for the bubble guys and back--up QBs.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 13, 2023, 07:00:01 PMI agree. I think many times coaches, even reputable ones, like to make the scoreboard look a little better than the game itself actually was if they can. Judge was big on that. I know that Daboll didn't quite admit that that was what he was attempting to do here, but on some level I am sure it was. Nobody likes being as humiliated as we were, even a coach who is not on any sort of hot seat or anything of the sort.

This was Dabolls worst decision as a head coach. I still wanna see media press him on this!!...if Jones got hurt can u imagine?

Rambo89

Quote from: coggs on September 13, 2023, 09:56:38 PMI am wondering how much does the 17 game regular season play into this.  Before it was standard.  PS1- Starters play 1 series, maybe 2.  PS2- Starters play into early 2nd qtr.  PS3- Starters usually play 1 series into the 3rd quarter.  PS4- most starters sit and it is for the bubble guys to make the team or at least have a good showing to hope to get signed by another team if they get cut.  Now?  It is literally a 3 game tryout for the bubble guys and back--up QBs.

Yeah I don't know what is the right way of doing it.  Risking pre season injuries or risking being rusty in the early part of the regular season.  May take a few years and studies on it to find the right formula for how to handle it.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on September 13, 2023, 06:44:30 PMMy 1 real issue was that Dabs said he had no interest in taking DJ out even at 33-0 as he just wanted to get something positive out even if meaningless.  So would an ending TD in a blown out loss have really been worthwhile if it meant losing your QB to a season ending injury?  Sorry but that was a mistake and frankly a reckless one.
All's well that ends well.

It's another version of the "What If?" game.

I do agree that nothing was gonna happen in the 4th quarter to change the inevitable loss to a win. As physically strong as all of those men are, they all aren't mentally and emotionally as strong. A beat down like that could negatively linger all season.

I'm with Dabs in that something positive is something to build on, even if it doesn't result in winning the game.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: