News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which characterization would concern you more about Sunday's performance

Started by DaveBrown74, September 13, 2023, 05:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Would you feel better or worse about things in general if you found out for certain that the vast majority of our players on Sunday were not putting in anywhere near their best effort (for whatever reason)?

uconnjack8

I would be shocked and have a hard time believing that.  If you want to say the effort went down hill after it was 33-0 I would believe that. But the idea that these guys weren't giving effort in the 1st game seems absurd to me. 

They wait for opening day with more anticipation than fans here do. Guys who get to that level generally have a certain pride and love for the game 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 13, 2023, 06:01:04 PMI would be shocked and have a hard time believing that.  If you want to say the effort went down hill after it was 33-0 I would believe that. But the idea that these guys weren't giving effort in the 1st game seems absurd to me. 

They wait for opening day with more anticipation than fans here do. Guys who get to that level generally have a certain pride and love for the game 

To be clear, I am making no such claim. I am simply asking whether, if that were hypothetically true and you could know it for sure, that would make you feel even worse or actually feel better about that outcome.

Personally, I don't ever want to hear or feel like our guys aren't playing with a max effort and max level of focus in games that matter. However, it is also not comforting to think that a Giants team that looked that ridiculously bad was actually out there doing their absolute best.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 13, 2023, 06:05:24 PMTo be clear, I am making no such claim. I am simply asking whether, if that were hypothetically true and you could know it for sure, that would make you feel even worse or actually feel better about that outcome.

Personally, I don't ever want to hear or feel like our guys aren't playing with a max effort and max level of focus in games that matter. However, it is also not comforting to think that a Giants team that looked that ridiculously bad was actually out there doing their absolute best.

For me if I thought in game 1 the team wasn't giving effort I probably wouldn't waste my time watching again that season. 

Being bad with effort is tough to watch but if guys are mailing it in, I'm a busy person and it's not worth my time.

Not to compare the teams, but in 2003 the Pat's lost 31-0 to the Bills on opening weekend. They beat them by the same score on the final weekend. 

I don't remotely think the Giants are beating the cowboys 40-0 in round 2, but I think it's a long season and 1 awful performance at the beginning shouldn't define it until it does.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 13, 2023, 06:13:59 PMFor me if I thought in game 1 the team wasn't giving effort I probably wouldn't waste my time watching again that season. 

Being bad with effort is tough to watch but if guys are mailing it in, I'm a busy person and it's not worth my time.

Not to compare the teams, but in 2003 the Pat's lost 31-0 to the Bills on opening weekend. They beat them by the same score on the final weekend. 

I don't remotely think the Giants are beating the cowboys 40-0 in round 2, but I think it's a long season and 1 awful performance at the beginning shouldn't define it until it does.

I get it and I agree. I have no interest in rooting for a team that doesn't try it's hardest either. I guess my point here is just that it's one thing to lose, even lose convincingly, when things just don't go your way. Nobody likes it, but we all know that 17-0 is basically not going to happen, and sometimes you lose games you feel you should have won or sometimes you lose games where you tried your hardest but just got a little sloppy or undisciplined.

However when it's a loss that is as historically egregious and lopsided like this one, where your team is just completely owned in downright humiliating fashion for an entire game in every single phase and basically toyed with, and where the players on the other sideline are giggling about how easy it is, it is very sobering to realize that this was the best your team was able to do with a max effort.