News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Here are Tommy DeVito's College Stats

Started by BluesCruz, November 25, 2023, 07:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tommy-devito-1.html

The one that really stands out is his final year was in the Big Ten at Illinois

Illinois (not Duke). Illinois went 8-5 after finishing 5-7 the year before Tommy got there

Makes you think.  Also it appears Belicheck tried to get DeVito on his practice squad last summer but Tommy wanted to remain a Giant

The fog is clearing and it appears Tommy is not a revelation.  Perhaps both he and the Giants knew what was what all along
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

I think we may be jumping the gun a little on DeVito. Let's see how he does not just tomorrow but for the rest of the season. So far he has started two games. One was very bad, and one was very good. I think it's early to start anointing him as anything. I heard this kind of exuberance with Davis Webb, and it proved totally unfounded as he basically had no career at all as an NFL player despite all kinds of calls for how good he was going to be.

I'm not taking anything away from DeVito for what he has done to this point. He is a really nice story, he had a big preseason, and he definitely played very well last week. He has already done more than Webb ever did. All of that is good. I just would like to get more data points on him before classifying him as anything other than "a nice story so far" though. Did you watch any of the Commanders' game on Thanksgiving? That is a pathetic team. They made Dak Prescott look like Joe Montana on a good day.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 25, 2023, 07:41:24 AMI think we may be jumping the gun a little on DeVito. Let's see how he does not just tomorrow but for the rest of the season. So far he has started two games. One was very bad, and one was very good. I think it's early to start anointing him as anything. I heard this kind of exuberance with Davis Webb, and it proved totally unfounded as he basically had no career at all as an NFL player despite all kinds of calls for how good he was going to be.

I'm not taking anything away from DeVito for what he has done to this point. He is a really nice story, he had a big preseason, and he definitely played very well last week. He has already done more than Webb ever did. All of that is good. I just would like to get more data points on him before classifying him as anything other than "a nice story so far" though. Did you watch any of the Commanders' game on Thanksgiving? That is a pathetic team. They made Dak Prescott look like Joe Montana on a good day.

Im not arguing any of that.  Except for your stab at Webb who. almost beat the Eagles with our second team on the field

My final thought here is the eyeball test

Would you rather watch DeVito and his game or Jones stumbling around tossing dump off after dump off with TD passes as rare as hens teeth

Would you rather draft the starting successful QB of a Big Ten team or the starter for a losing group at Duke?

In hindsight our wounds have been self inflicted.   Dave Brown also came to us from Duke with almost identical results to Jones.
Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice.......well no use rubbing it in.  Like Jones, Brown had on good year (9-7) and 4 bad ones

Ed Vette

He had a pretty good Sophomore year at Syracuse, then I recall he was injured and lost his starting job. Transfered to Illinois and had a great year. Nice completion % and TD to Int ratio.

@bighitterdalama Brian and his wife Susie are big Orange fans and probably saw all his games. I would be interested in his take.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 25, 2023, 08:19:31 AMHe had a pretty good Sophomore year at Syracuse, then I recall he was injured and lost his starting job. Transfered to Illinois and had a great year. Nice completion % and TD to Int ratio.

@bighitterdalama Brian and his wife Susie are big Orange fans and probably saw all his games. I would be interested in his take.

What was the injury?  So far he seems to know how to fall and keep the ball secure.
Eli was the master of this.  Eli fell like Gumby and appeared made of rubber LOL

Eli was a much bigger guy that Tommy.  I remember opponents struggling to get Eli to the ground

Neither guy it seems like/ed to toss it away prefering to just go down to the ground.
I get it.  Eli wasnt too quick on his feet to set his feet for the toss away, while DeVito is holding the ball to the last possible micro second to see if someone comes open

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 25, 2023, 08:49:16 AMWhat was the injury?  So far he seems to know how to fall and keep the ball secure.
Eli was the master of this.  Eli fell like Gumby and appeared made of rubber LOL

Eli was a much bigger guy that Tommy.  I remember opponents struggling to get Eli to the ground

Neither guy it seems like/ed to toss it away prefering to just go down to the ground.
I get it.  Eli wasnt too quick on his feet to set his feet for the toss away, while DeVito is holding the ball to the last possible micro second to see if someone comes open
Actually it's not why he left Cuse, but he did have two bad injuries in prior years.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2021/10/tommy-devito-opens-up-about-his-time-in-syracuse-heisman-hopes-injuries-and-the-chart-that-helps-explains-how-we-got-here.html?outputType=amp
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 25, 2023, 09:11:04 AMActually it's not why he left Cuse, but he did have two bad injuries in prior years.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2021/10/tommy-devito-opens-up-about-his-time-in-syracuse-heisman-hopes-injuries-and-the-chart-that-helps-explains-how-we-got-here.html?outputType=amp

Wow that is quite a read about the ups and downs of a former high school star.....rough start
but perhaps it hardened him for future

He likely takes nothing for granted after that saga.  Tough kid