News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2024 NFL Free Agents: Quarterback

Started by MightyGiants, January 29, 2024, 12:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I think there is a strong chance the Giants will be signing a free agent QB, even if they draft a QB

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2024QB.php
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Definitely. Taylor is a possibility although I highly doubt they bring him back. Given Jones' health is always a huge wildcard, and if they draft a rookie that's an automatic wildcard situation in year one, I think there going to want someone who has a better durability track record than Taylor.

Minshew would be up there for me if they can get him. I guess Brissett could be another possibility but I think Minshew is the better player plus Brissett has had his own issues with injuries.

No interest in Mayfield or Cousins ... if either is available they'll be way more expensive than what we can or should pay. And neither is a QB of the future so it's pointless as we'll be a long way from contention next year.

Tanehill might be interesting although I suspect he'll still be on the expensive side. We have to remember, we're going to be absorbing a $47mm cap hit on Jones next year, so there is only so much one can realistically want to spend additionally on the QB position.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 29, 2024, 02:42:52 PMDefinitely. Taylor is a possibility although I highly doubt they bring him back. Given Jones' health is always a huge wildcard, and if they draft a rookie that's an automatic wildcard situation in year one, I think there going to want someone who has a better durability track record than Taylor.

Minshew would be up there for me if they can get him. I guess Brissett could be another possibility but I think Minshew is the better player plus Brissett has had his own issues with injuries.

No interest in Mayfield or Cousins ... if either is available they'll be way more expensive than what we can or should pay. And neither is a QB of the future so it's pointless as we'll be a long way from contention next year.

Tanehill might be interesting although I suspect he'll still be on the expensive side. We have to remember, we're going to be absorbing a $47mm cap hit on Jones next year, so there is only so much one can realistically want to spend additionally on the QB position.

I think Marcus Mariota may be an interesting option
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 29, 2024, 02:49:37 PMI think Marcus Mariota may be an interesting option

I'd be open to him as a possibility as well.

Would you prefer to not consider Taylor at all?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 29, 2024, 03:05:34 PMI'd be open to him as a possibility as well.

Would you prefer to not consider Taylor at all?

Taylor is just too injury-prone for my liking.  The guy seems to struggle to get through series without getting hurt.  Otherwise, I would love to have him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

I don't like Tannelhill. He's lost arm velocity and mobility. And he gets hurt routinely now-bad ankles. Minshew has moxie and the ability to be credible as a starter.

There's no way the Giants aren't going to sign a vet qb with Jones' injury history

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on January 29, 2024, 03:34:26 PMI don't like Tannelhill. He's lost arm velocity and mobility. And he gets hurt routinely now-bad ankles. Minshew has moxie and the ability to be credible as a starter.

There's no way the Giants aren't going to sign a vet qb with Jones' injury history

Not just the injury history but the very plausible possibility that he is not ready for week one.

Also, knowing how Barkley looked his first year back from ACL surgery, and then considering that Jones wasn't even good last year before he got hurt, I'm not sure I'd expect even decent play from him next year. So a guy like Minshew would might be the best QB in the room on our team in 2024, even once Jones is cleared.

Even if we were picking first in the draft, I think they would still sign a dependable veteran. You can't go into the season with no other option other than a hobbled Jones and Cutlets.

files58

If Jones is forced to retire from another neck injury(not wishing it on him) do we get any Cap relief? Not only would he be a non-performing asset, he would be a non-recoverable asset. The NFL is a business, and salaries are assets on the books.

BluesCruz

If Jones is unavailable

Devito and hopefully Penix jr and Bo Nix are

Minshew is a good one too

No takers for Jones??  What if we split the dollars?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: files58 on January 29, 2024, 05:04:18 PMIf Jones is forced to retire from another neck injury(not wishing it on him) do we get any Cap relief? Not only would he be a non-performing asset, he would be a non-recoverable asset. The NFL is a business, and salaries are assets on the books.

I doubt it. Guarantees are guarantees whether a player gets hurt or is just bad.

I don't know for sure but I doubt the impact on our cap will be any different whether they cut him after next season or if he gets hurt again.

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 29, 2024, 03:32:44 PMTaylor is just too injury-prone for my liking.  The guy seems to struggle to get through series without getting hurt.  Otherwise, I would love to have him.
He is fragile, it seems. But it would also be awkward if he started the first few games while Jones recover and then they put Jones in when he is ready. Taylor is a better QB and all it will do is create more controversy. They should sign a back up clearly inferior to Jones if they can find one.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on January 29, 2024, 05:35:05 PMHe is fragile, it seems. But it would also be awkward if he started the first few games while Jones recover and then they put Jones in when he is ready. Taylor is a better QB and all it will do is create more controversy. They should sign a back up clearly inferior to Jones if they can find one.

So they should deliberately look to sign a bad enough backup that he's unquestionably worse than Jones, just so there is no controversy and Jones' feelings don't get hurt?

There is a good chance Jones misses a material number of games next year, either due to not being ready to return post this ACL surgery, or due to a new injury or a third neck injury. There is also a chance his ACL recovery means his abilities this coming year will be significantly limited, like Barkley's were in 2021, even after he is cleared to play.

Given all of the above, why would you want to deliberately sign a lousy backup? How is that in the best interest of this team?

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 29, 2024, 06:12:46 PMSo they should deliberately look to sign a bad enough backup that he's unquestionably worse than Jones, just so there is no controversy and Jones' feelings don't get hurt?

There is a good chance Jones misses a material number of games next year, either due to not being ready to return post this ACL surgery, or due to a new injury or a third neck injury. There is also a chance his ACL recovery means his abilities this coming year will be significantly limited, like Barkley's were in 2021, even after he is cleared to play.

Given all of the above, why would you want to deliberately sign a lousy backup? How is that in the best interest of this team?
I never said I would. I just pointed it out as a possible issue going forward. If it's my team, Jones playing next year and contributing would be something I would not count on at all and I would get someone here who can play the position at least somewhat competently.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on January 29, 2024, 06:37:18 PMI never said I would. I just pointed it out as a possible issue going forward. If it's my team, Jones playing next year and contributing would be something I would not count on at all and I would get someone here who can play the position at least somewhat competently.

When you wrote "they should sign a back up clearly inferior to Jones if they can find one", I took that to mean that that was what you personally felt they should do. That is certainly how that reads. I guess you meant something else though.

Until we have a QB we are thoroughly confident in, I don't see how controversy (ie competition) is a bad thing. In fact, I very much think the opposite.

Schoen has said multiple times that they are "going to address the QB position in the offseason", including possibly the draft and/or free agency. I can't see there being anyone in the building at this point that is worried about upsetting Jones, who has an $81mm guarantee despite being one of the two or three worst starters in the league last year while he was active.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 29, 2024, 07:01:58 PMWhen you wrote "they should sign a back up clearly inferior to Jones if they can find one", I took that to mean that that was what you personally felt they should do. That is certainly how that reads. I guess you meant something else though.

Until we have a QB we are thoroughly confident in, I don't see how controversy (ie competition) is a bad thing. In fact, I very much think the opposite.

Schoen has said multiple times that they are "going to address the QB position in the offseason", including possibly the draft and/or free agency. I can't see there being anyone in the building at this point that is worried about upsetting Jones, who has an $81mm guarantee despite being one of the two or three worst starters in the league last year while he was active.
I was being flippant. Far from literal.