News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Photography

Started by LennG, July 22, 2020, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoelessjoe

Lenn, the shot with the natural arch is famous with many photographers taken its picture.  Two ways to take in the full arch the first is to use a wide angle lens with a crop sensor you will need something around 20 MM wide or you can do it the less expensive way by just stepping back until you get the whole arch in the frame.  The second option will only work if there is no clif behind you.  Make sure to look.

If you want you can email me the lighthouse picture and a few of the small harbor pictures and I'll see what I can do.

LennG

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on August 01, 2020, 05:04:27 PM
Lenn, the shot with the natural arch is famous with many photographers taken its picture.  Two ways to take in the full arch the first is to use a wide angle lens with a crop sensor you will need something around 20 MM wide or you can do it the less expensive way by just stepping back until you get the whole arch in the frame.  The second option will only work if there is no clif behind you.  Make sure to look.

If you want you can email me the lighthouse picture and a few of the small harbor pictures and I'll see what I can do.

Frank, there was room on your second suggestion, only problem is, as you moved further awaym you were going downhill a bit, so there was no way to shoot down towards the canyon below that way. You suggestion of that wide angle lenses is probably right on, but alas, I don't have that in my collection.

If you want to use any of the pix and use them for yourself, be my guest. I'm good with just the photos myself. I have no where to hang any more pix.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Just a few pix that I found interesting along the way

A caterpiller crawling along a branch

An open clam on a beach

A very fat, lazy rooster

A frog sitting on a lily pad

Friendly parrots

Bird on a beach at sunset

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Seems everyone else has given up or run out of pix.

I just don't want to dominate a thread as I can continue to post pix, probably for another month, if I really wanted. I take thousands of pix when we travel and then comes the process of seeing what is good, what I want to save and just tiding up some of the pixs.

As I said in the beginning, you have created a pix monster, am I coming on too strong with all these pix?

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I'll post a few more for now, and let me know if you want me to continue.

I am NOT a summer person, would rather be cold than hot, so we love to travel to cold weather places in the winter.

We were up at our favorite destination, New Hampshire a couple of winters ago. We go to NH about 3 times a year but this was the first time we were ever here mid winter. To us, it was magnificent. All the places we used to go to, were closed off by mounds of snow, but it did make for some wonderful pics.

So in mid summer, let's enjoy winter in New Hampshire

Just driving around trhe countryside

This is the Mt Washington Hotel which stands right in front of Mt Washington, This place is magnificent inside and out.

And one of my favorite shots

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: LennG on August 04, 2020, 07:40:32 PM

I just don't want to dominate a thread as I can continue to post pix, probably for another month, if I really wanted. I take thousands of pix when we travel and then comes the process of seeing what is good, what I want to save and just tiding up some of the pixs.

As I said in the beginning, you have created a pix monster, am I coming on too strong with all these pix?
Len,

I absolutely love your photos. I don't have a problem with you posting pics every day. Keep 'em coming!  :ok:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jim143

Quote from: LennG on August 04, 2020, 07:40:32 PM

Absolutely not.  Please keep posting
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

ozzie

DEFINITELY KEEP THEM COMING!!  :D
Lovely shots of NH Lenn.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

As I have said many times, we LOVE to travel. We LOVE to cruise and I also LOVE to do road trips, so this is our life style. This virus has put a serious crimp in it, but we are hopefully we can get back to our 'ways' very soon.
We have had the very good fortune to have traveled to several places that many people don't get to. We still have many places that we haven't gotten to, like the far east and Austalia and New Zealand. If anyone has been to these places, I would love to hear about it and possibly see some pics.

If anyone desires any info on any of the places we have been to, I love to help friends out with any 'tips' that I can supply.

Again, I surely don't want to come across as I am bragging or anything like that. That is just our thing--traveling. And we do it pretty inexpensively, like on a budget. That's why we love cruising as it takes you to so many places to experience, and they feed you and entertain you also. You don't have to spend a lot on cruising (you can if you wish but you don't).

Anyway, maybe our favorite cruise was what is refered to as a Baltic Cruise, where we visited several of the Baltic Capitals and a couple of days in St Petersburg Russia. For us, this was a dream come true.

Here are a few of my picx from our adventure in St Petersburg

one of many canals in St Petersburg looking down to Church of the Savior on Blood

\

Up close and personal with Church of the Savior on Blood (it is absolute huge and very difficult to get a pix, except from a block away). Long story how I got this pix)

This is what is refered to as Catherine's Palace, which was where Catherine the Great resided. All was destroyed during the war and rebuilt to, supposedly, exact specs

Outside Catherine's Palace, you get to be entertained with a Band. Here is one Trumpet player who kind of saw me trying to take a pic of him

In another part, outside of St Petersburg, you have the palace of what is called Peterhoff (From Peter the Great days) It is most well known for their fountains

And this is from the same place, looking out towards the Sea of Finland

Just a side note. You cannot get off the ship without a visa, so there are several private companies that offer temporary visas and they take you on tours of the area and St Petersburg. We met the owner of one of these companies, became good friends thru mail and Skype. She and her husband came to the US for the first time a couple of years ago, and we met them in Manhattan and had a great time. We still correspond with them all the time, so if anyone ever does decide to take a trip there, I'll get you a great rate on tours.  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Hope you enjoy the pics

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

It's so funny that growing up all I ever heard about Russia was how dark and dank and oppressive it was, but then you see pix like these and you realize that there actually may be more to it than what you thought. Those photos show how beautiful at least some parts of Russia are.
Excellent, as always, Lenn.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

ozzie

Here are a couple more from the nearby walking path.
I just found this old tree a very interesting subject. Lenn and some of you others could probably get a better shot, but this is my effort...

This branch just seems to be reaching out and defying gravity.

John Mara

LennG

No way Ozzie. That first shot is great and something I would drool over. I love these 'sort of everyday things' that, at times, just make a fantastic pic. You captured it great.

Charlie Weiss

Shoelessjoe

Here are two taken on the same day.  I went to one of the state parks on 3/28/2019 to capture a sunset by an inlet with my new Nikon D7200 camera.  When I got to the park there were a group of surfers on the Atlantic Ocean side.  I was so excited that I had this opportunity to capture action shots with the new camera and a 150-600 mm Sigma lens that I forgot to reset my exposure settings to accommodate the motion so some really good shots turned out to be really bad.  The picture of the surfer was one that I was able to salvage.  I don't think that I will make the mistake again but one never knows.  I did get some good shots of the sunset.  I think I took over 500 pictures of which I whittled it down to about 200 and then down to about 10.  I couldn't do much in post processing with the surfer but I was able to work on the sunset and pop the colors a bit.  By the way I'm not finished with the sunset photo there are some lights in the right side of the horizon line that I want to remove and along the railing there are some things on it that I don't think adds to the photo so I'm thinking of removing them.

surfer

Sunset

Shoelessjoe

I removed the lights in the background on both sides on the horizon line and if you look closely on the left side of the horizon line you will see that a building was removed.  This was all done in Lightroom.  The items on the railing will need to be removed in Photoshop as it requires the use of some content aware tools that are pretty sophisticated.

Lightroom Changes

ozzie

I actually like that shot of the surfer. You don't know that he is surfing per se, but you can see speed, movement and action. I think it's an interesting picture.
I can't tell you how many times I've made "mistakes" that turn out to be something good!

John Mara