News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Photography

Started by LennG, July 22, 2020, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEM

Shoelessjoe

Haven't posted photos for awhile.  I got new equipment and had to take some in house crash courses that have consumed a lot of time.  In addition, I was elected to my HOA board and I'm now the treasurer.  This is one of the first pictures that I took.

This was edited in Lightroom to pull out the blue sky.  I used a 105 mm Macro lens and was only a few feet away from the in focused reed.  The Autofocus system was having difficulty in focusing on the subject moving in the wind.  So I put the lens on manual focus and obtained a satisfactory focus.  I concentrated so much on focusing  that I forgot to properly expose the subject and had to adjust the exposure in Lightroom by 3.45 fstops to pull out the blue.

This picture was edited in Photoshop to add a blending mode.  I used a flash and needed to use a color blend to change the mood.  My son needed this for a Power Point presentation on a script that he is trying to filmed. 

TEM

Green flash at sunset

LennG

Just great pix guys. So glad to have others post their work here.

TEM

Your shots are great. Are you using a zoom lens at all, or just getting as close as you can?. That one shot after sunset with the palm trees is wonderful. Where was that taken?

Frank, as always, just great shots. As I have said, we go to Cape Cod every January, (this year because of our virus vaccine shots, we are going this Friday) and I always try to take some shots with those 'reeds' either in the foreground clear, or blurred a bit, but the wind does play havoc on that. I'm going to try your suggestion of taking the camera off of auto and trying a manual setting. But my biggest problem with them is I'm not a student od speeds and light if I have to do it manually. Hey, I'll give it a shot and try and learn by trial and error.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TEM

Quote from: LennG on February 14, 2021, 11:54:51 AM
Just great pix guys. So glad to have others post their work here.

TEM

Your shots are great. Are you using a zoom lens at all, or just getting as close as you can?. That one shot after sunset with the palm trees is wonderful. Where was that taken?

Frank, as always, just great shots. As I have said, we go to Cape Cod every January, (this year because of our virus vaccine shots, we are going this Friday) and I always try to take some shots with those 'reeds' either in the foreground clear, or blurred a bit, but the wind does play havoc on that. I'm going to try your suggestion of taking the camera off of auto and trying a manual setting. But my biggest problem with them is I'm not a student od speeds and light if I have to do it manually. Hey, I'll give it a shot and try and learn by trial and error.

Thanks LennG. The Sunset Pics were taken on Sanibel Island.  All the pictures were taken with a Cannon  Powershot  zoomed in with the built in lens. Just in the right place at the right time.

LennG

I used a Canon Power Shot for many, many years before I switched over to an SLR. I'm on my second Canon Rebel now and love it.

And just Lenn is fine. Years ago, we had to have a screen name with 5 letters so I added on the G. Actually the name is Len, but who really cares.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Shoelessjoe

Lenn, the manual I was referring to was manual focus over (AF) autofocus.  You can still use your automated mode for exposure which is usually on the dial on the top of most cameras.  The lens that I was using was a 105 macro. These lens' are great at getting close up to the subject however, the closer you get to the subject narrower the Depth of field.  With the lens that I have I can get as close as 12" but it creates a problem where the autofocus systems sometimes have difficulty obtaining focus because the depth of field is very narrow.  You may have noticed when you try to focus the camera has trouble.  It will go back and forth trying but it can't.  This effect is more prevalent in a Macro lens but can also happen in other lens.  When this does happen under difficult conditions like the wind that you are referring too you should turn autofocus to manual and try turning the focus ring on the lens while keeping your exposure set to auto.

ozzie

Quite an unusual week expected for us here in Texas. Here in Garland we got about 3" of SNOW last night with more expected tomorrow evening.
I didn't really get out and go anywhere but I managed to get a couple of shots around the house.
This was last night as the snow was falling, but it was so fine you can't even see the flakes

Much like Lenn's beach pictures, here are some interesting patterns the wind had made in the snow on the road in front of the house

Just an interesting perspective between the fence posts

And finally, here is what I think is a great "reflection" of shadows on the tree in our backyard

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Great shots Lou. Yes, I am a sucker for those pattern shots of snow, beach, whatever. LOVED them.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

We just got back from our annual week on Cape Cod. We love the winter there and the walks on the beach, sunsets, and just no crowds. This year was different as we couldn't go out to eat and many stores that are usually open just weren't. But we persevered and had a good time. Took quite a few pixs and will put up a few when I can go thru them to see what is what.

In the meantime, here are some pics from other vacations.

Hope you enjoy

Starting when we were in England

In Rome

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Brilliant, as usual Lenn. England & Italy are two places I would love to visit.
We have been watching a show on Sunday nights for the past three or four weeks, called "Stanley Tucci - Searching for Italy".
The series is going to cover every region in the country and Tucci is going to discuss the food and flavor of each region. He talks with top chefs, journalists and locals alike.
We have enjoyed it so far, the food and scenery are great and it's a nice little history lesson too.
It is on CNN on Sunday evenings.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/stanley-tucci-searching-for-italy-restaurants/index.html
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

LennG

We are up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire once again. (one of our favorite places to spend time and relax). I bit chilly, but much warmer the next few days. Lot's of snow to take pix of.

I saw that show in the reviews and was looking to take a peek at it. Now, with your recommendation, I definitely will.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Just home from another trip, this time to the snowy state of New Hampshire. It will take a bit of time to sort out some pix, so I just wanted to post a few more pix. I'm not sure what was posted and what was not, but here are a few more sunsets, probably my favorite subject.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Lenn, Your photos never disappoint.  :yes:

John Mara

ozzie

Here are a couple more I had on the camera from our week of snow:

I know the branch in the way of the face kind of ruins this picture, but I just really like the way the color of the Blue Jay pops out

John Mara