News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lions day 2 reports

Started by MightyGiants, August 09, 2023, 10:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 09, 2023, 06:52:24 PMLooks like Jordan Riley, Corbin, Owens, Belton, and JMS shined today.

I was wondering if we were ever going to hear about Corbin. I had big hopes for him as our scat-back RB. I suspect he's going to have to shine on special teams to be the 3rd RB up  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

I watched closely a clip of Jones making a TD throw to Slayton and from the angle it appeared he really showed pocket awareness. No panic. I really like seeing that. I know it's not the Eagles but if this is going to be more consistent then I'm looking even more forward to his progress.

Also noted one the reporters said he missed guys yesterday and was late on the throes etc....very good to see him make an adjustment

kingm56

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 09, 2023, 08:33:04 PMHonestly DJ throws a great ball, tight spiral, right on the money!

That needs to translate to meaningful passing production, if the Giants hope to consistently compete with the NFL elites. We simply can't compete with Dal and Phili with bottom 8 passing production.  We're going to have to score about 100 more points this season...

Dgoodmantrublu

Some of that is on Daniel, some of that is on the receivers, some of that is on the OL. The Giants schemed the first half of the season around some major issues. After the first Dallas game, they didn't even attempt real drop back passing most of the time until Hodgins was integrated into the offense after the Detroit game. And there seemed to be more production. I think it is pretty obvious their goal is open things up more.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 10, 2023, 01:17:03 PMSome of that is on Daniel, some of that is on the receivers, some of that is on the OL.

For sure all of the above are part of the equation, but Jones owns more of the responsibility than any other individual. If it goes well, he'll get the lion's share of the credit, and that's fair enough, but it also works both ways. Especially now that he's getting paid all this money and eating up a meaningful chunk of the cap. With the exception of Thomas, who gets $23mm, everyone else on the offense gets a relatively small or tiny fraction of what Jones gets. So I think it's fair to say he owns much more responsibility for the efficacy of the passing offense than any other single player.

Dgoodmantrublu

I think last year the blame gets spread around more evenly. I thought he played poorly the first two games, but was really good in the Dallas game. There were some bad drops, but the more importantly he had no time at all. He made some amazing throws. I thought he was pretty good in most other games and did pretty much what the coaches allowed. I think the game plans will be closer to what we saw in the Minnesota games than in the Texans games and there will be a lot more throwing.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 10, 2023, 01:24:29 PMFor sure all of the above are part of the equation, but Jones owns more of the responsibility than any other individual. If it goes well, he'll get the lion's share of the credit, and that's fair enough, but it also works both ways. Especially now that he's getting paid all this money and eating up a meaningful chunk of the cap. With the exception of Thomas, who gets $23mm, everyone else on the offense gets a relatively small or tiny fraction of what Jones gets. So I think it's fair to say he owns much more responsibility for the efficacy of the passing offense than any other single player.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 10, 2023, 01:30:47 PMI think last year the blame gets spread around more evenly. I thought he played poorly the first two games, but was really good in the Dallas game. There were some bad drops, but the more importantly he had no time at all. He made some amazing throws. I thought he was pretty good in most other games and did pretty much what the coaches allowed. I think the game plans will be closer to what we saw in the Minnesota games than in the Texans games and there will be a lot more throwing.

I definitely agree there will be more throwing. I also think Jones' IYA/PA won't be 6.4 in 2023 (ie bottom of the league). I think that's a given, otherwise why are we paying $40mm a year for the QB when a Minshew type can execute that type of offense for a tiny fraction of the cost? So I agree they will throw more, and (just as importantly) deeper. With improved weapons and (hopefully) improved protection, I am hopeful the results will be substantially better in 2023.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 09, 2023, 07:02:55 PMI was wondering if we were ever going to hear about Corbin. I had big hopes for him as our scat-back RB. I suspect he's going to have to shine on special teams to be the 3rd RB up  :-??
I wish we'd go to a Barkley, Grey, Corbin backfield as I am not a fan of Brightwell or Breida. I think Corbin could excel at Brightwells specials duties.

Dgoodmantrublu

Why are you not a fan of Breida? I think he played his role very well. I don't see any upside with Corbin. He didn't impress me last preseason.

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 10, 2023, 02:20:28 PMI wish we'd go to a Barkley, Grey, Corbin backfield as I am not a fan of Brightwell or Breida. I think Corbin could excel at Brightwells specials duties.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 10, 2023, 03:27:05 PMWhy are you not a fan of Breida? I think he played his role very well. I don't see any upside with Corbin. He didn't impress me last preseason.

Corbim only had 20 touches last preseason and had 2 Tds. I mean I don't dislike Breida but when you have a Corbin and a Grey for pennies on the dollar use them as depth so you don't have to pay Breida a million for 50 touches and 200 yards.

Dgoodmantrublu

The difference in salary is about 250k. Breida is basically on vet minimum. His speed opens up stuff for others. His motion on pony packages has to be paid attention to when he's in motion. He can either get the ball or it opens up space for Barkley. This worked just about every time they tried it last season. Corbin just doesn't have that same speed.

DaveBrown74

The guy from last year I actually liked was Antonio Williams. I preferred him to Corbin myself. Not sure what happened to that guy.