News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- CB Deonte Banks is emerging -

Started by sxdxca38, August 09, 2023, 08:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

The 1st rd pick is showing he belongs!

We were all a little scared at first, but it seems as though Banks' talent is coming through with another strong showing in day 2.

Link down below.

Banks

Jclayton92

From what I understand practice number 2 today Detroit basically did nothing but HB/WR Screens which didn't test the actual corners like day 1. I think there is a big difference in being lockdown and just not getting burnt, currently he's just not getting burnt/beaten constantly like he was at the beginning of camp. Still a long way to go.

Dgoodmantrublu

I was never scared. I wanted this guy in the draft and I have faith in our staff to develop him.

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 09, 2023, 08:55:04 PMThe 1st rd pick is showing he belongs!

We were all a little scared at first, but it seems as though Banks' talent is coming through with another strong showing in day 2.

Link down below.

Banks

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 09, 2023, 09:10:01 PMFrom what I understand practice number 2 today Detroit basically did nothing but HB/WR Screens which didn't test the actual corners like day 1. I think there is a big difference in being lockdown and just not getting burnt, currently he's just not getting burnt/beaten constantly like he was at the beginning of camp. Still a long way to go.

Hi,

I appreciate your contributions here, and to the thread, but the second article about Banks seems to nullify what you are saying with regards to the Lions only running HB/WR screens all day.

Please note the following from another article.

"Giants rookie cornerback Deonte Banks is coming into his own, settling in as his development continues under intense scrutiny given the responsibility the team is prepared to hand him this season."

"Banks made one of the plays of the day Wednesday with a pass breakup at the goal line of a pass from Jared Goff to Amon-Ra St. Brown. He swatted the ball away with his left handed, denying a touchdown. That was his second PBU of the morning, and Banks' physicality in coverage was on display.

So, the pass from Goff to Amon-ra wasn't a screen because the ball was thrown into the endzone. Also please consider he had at least two PBU during the day.

Article down below

Banks 2

sxdxca38

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 09, 2023, 09:25:51 PMI was never scared. I wanted this guy in the draft and I have faith in our staff to develop him.

I'm glad you weren't scared, I wanted this player as well. Just there were several reports and posters claiming that he was struggling initially. So hopefully he has turned the corner, but we will see.

Dgoodmantrublu

Overreactions the first few days of camp for a really talented rookie just don't scare me.

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 09, 2023, 09:50:14 PMI'm glad you weren't scared, I wanted this player as well. Just there were several reports and posters claiming that he was struggling initially. So hopefully he has turned the corner, but we will see.

DaveBrown74

I don't think you can conclude anything about unproven players, positive or negative, from even preseason games let alone practices, personally.

JT39

Two examples of why I am not going to come a definite decision on a rookie.

1. Corey Webster
2. Andrew Thomas

Yes - we have had rookies who were horrible in the first year and didn't get better (Flowers, Apple). But these are young men who will have ups and down. Some get it sooner than others. But one year still may not be enough time to judge a player. All you can hope for is that he gets better with each game.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on August 10, 2023, 06:04:53 AMTwo examples of why I am not going to come a definite decision on a rookie.

1. Corey Webster
2. Andrew Thomas

Yes - we have had rookies who were horrible in the first year and didn't get better (Flowers, Apple). But these are young men who will have ups and down. Some get it sooner than others. But one year still may not be enough time to judge a player. All you can hope for is that he gets better with each game.

Neal is another example of a player who was bad all year as a rookie and did not really improve at all over the course of the season, unlike Thomas, who was looking better by the end of the year. Hopefully Neal takes a major step forward this year and we see it right away.

I think if a rookie at a steep learning curve position like corner (or OT) does well or shows material improvement over the course of a season, you likely have a good if not great player on your hands. And I agree that a rookie at a tough position like those who is bad all year won't necessarily not still end up being really good after that.

If they're bad as rookies though and not only show zero improvement during their rookie season but then are subsequently still bad in year two, that's almost always a pretty bad sign. It's hard to totally suck for two years in the modern NFL and then end up being good. Teams that are patient and sit around hoping usually end up disappointed and ultimately cutting bait. So this is a huge year for the aforementioned Neal. With Banks, I am expecting growing pains this year and don't have a very high bar for him in 2023. Seeing some sort of improvement over the course of the year would be great though.

I was happy with the pick at the time and have a positive outlook for him long term.

Ed Vette

The proof is in the pudding and we won't get our just deserts until September. Let's keep in mind that he will have his ups and downs during the learning curve.

He's going to be a fine addition in run support too.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

True Blue

We'll see what happens, he has not emerged until he show's consistently good play during the regular season, in real games with contact and full pads on

It's nice to see people make plays in camp and off/pre season activities, but it doesn't always translate to actual success. I hope it does, but we should temper expectations in the early going for a rookie CB

Jclayton92

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 09, 2023, 09:48:58 PMHi,

I appreciate your contributions here, and to the thread, but the second article about Banks seems to nullify what you are saying with regards to the Lions only running HB/WR screens all day.

Please note the following from another article.

"Giants rookie cornerback Deonte Banks is coming into his own, settling in as his development continues under intense scrutiny given the responsibility the team is prepared to hand him this season."

"Banks made one of the plays of the day Wednesday with a pass breakup at the goal line of a pass from Jared Goff to Amon-Ra St. Brown. He swatted the ball away with his left handed, denying a touchdown. That was his second PBU of the morning, and Banks' physicality in coverage was on display.

So, the pass from Goff to Amon-ra wasn't a screen because the ball was thrown into the endzone. Also please consider he had at least two PBU during the day.

Article down below

Banks 2
The talking Giants guys were at the practice and said the defense looked good specifically because they were doing nothing but HB screens so there was no way to really judge the defense.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Kf0PDE5QgGE?feature=share

The whole podcast they explain it as they were in the building. Nevertheless 2 PBU is not setting the world on fire plus he just had a couple reps against Brown, he's mainly going up against Marvin Jones who doesn't really set the world on fire.

All that to say, a 6th rd pick has out shined Banks in every way up until this point. It's 1 practice, let's not anoint him the king of cornerbacks after 1 practice with a bunch of screens and a couple of deep shots. He's going to be a work in progress all season having highs and lows, no need to jump the gun. Great on him for having a good practice Tre Hawkins has been having them every day. So let's string a few along before we get to excited.

RelaxTension

2nd week in August reports for rookies good or bad are way too early to put any stock in them..
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

DaveBrown74

Quote from: RelaxTension on August 10, 2023, 11:55:46 AM2nd week in August reports for rookies good or bad are way too early to put any stock in them..

Welcome to the forum.

I agree about practices, and I don't even think preseason games are always that reliable. Ja'Marr Chase had a horrible preseason in 2021. He was subsequently great immediately in the regular season and had one of the best rookie WR seasons basically ever.

RelaxTension

Thanks and I completely agree that even preseason games shouldn't be used to evaluate players as stars or busts..
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..