News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- CB Deonte Banks is emerging -

Started by sxdxca38, August 09, 2023, 08:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

If a highly touted player has great skills and is listening and putting in the work, I think a team should probably allow him to play through his mistakes and grow.

Look at Dave Meggett.  His dropping of punts drove Parcells crazy but he stayed with it and good results occurred.

MightyGiants

Quote from: RelaxTension on August 10, 2023, 11:55:46 AM2nd week in August reports for rookies good or bad are way too early to put any stock in them..

Welcome to BBH  :greetings:

I agree that you can't make definitive judgments.  I will say, some early indicators do prove accurate.  I think it's important to not put too much stock into early indicators.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Personally, I'm a bit shocked by the negativity to the new glowing reports about Banks, I thought this would make people happy?

When news was coming out that he was struggling early in camp, more than a few people were down on him, and rightfully so.

But now, when reports are coming out that he is excelling, I thought people would enjoy hearing that, but sadly I'm still seeing a lot of negative or cautious responses.

Oh well I guess we will just have to see how this plays out.

Jclayton92

The title says bank's is emerging, and that's a little misleading. I'm not down on him or negative, but 1 decent practice does not mean he's even stabilized himself at the position much less thriving. Someone reads emerging and they think we are good to go at that position when In reality it's a long road before we even know what we have in Banks. So yes I am optimistic by 1 practice, let's get 5 or 6 practices down in a row were he's not just doing OK but doing well before we say he's emerging.

True Blue

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 10, 2023, 02:19:48 PMPersonally, I'm a bit shocked by the negativity to the new glowing reports about Banks, I thought this would make people happy?

When news was coming out that he was struggling early in camp, more than a few people were down on him, and rightfully so.

But now, when reports are coming out that he is excelling, I thought people would enjoy hearing that, but sadly I'm still seeing a lot of negative or cautious responses.

A single practice, hell even a weeks worth of good practice, would not mean anyone is excelling. It's great he has a good practice, we all want him to do well, and I think he will.

But what you are using to say he's arrived is just not accurate. This month is all teams just trying different things, shaking off rust and getting ready for theseason. They haven't played any real games or snaps yet. Remember in 2008 the lions went 4-0 in preseason than 0-16?

This stuff does not matter alot and too much is put into it. It's good to see progress, and hopefully it's the beginning of things tk come. but let the guy actually show something meaningful first please before making these declarations

It isn't being negative, as much as it is a misleading topic.

Dgoodmantrublu

I always choose to remain optimistic until given a reason not to be so. I trust the judgements of Schoen, Daboll, Wink and Kafka. So I will assume they know what they are doing in developing all our young players.

sxdxca38

Quote from: True Blue on August 10, 2023, 02:53:28 PMA single practice, hell even a weeks worth of good practice, would not mean anyone is excelling. It's great he has a good practice, we all want him to do well, and I think he will.

But what you are using to say he's arrived is just not accurate. This month is all teams just trying different things, shaking off rust and getting ready for theseason. They haven't played any real games or snaps yet. Remember in 2008 the lions went 4-0 in preseason than 0-16?

This stuff does not matter alot and too much is put into it. It's good to see progress, and hopefully it's the beginning of things tk come. but let the guy actually show something meaningful first please before making these declarations

It isn't being negative, as much as it is a misleading topic.

Hi

If you look at the title of this thread I said "emerging" not "emerged", big difference.

One is a completed action, while the other is in the process of, and I used the former (emerging) and not the latter (emerged) as you have implied, which would be inaccurate.

For reference please note the two articles I linked, they were the ones that said Banks looked legit, not me, as I haven't attended one training camp, but the authors of those articles did.

As I have stated multiple times in this thread with regards to Banks "but we will have to see".

I won't be responding anymore, so you can have the last word, but take care.

Ed Vette

I can understand those of you who haven't attended Camp being cautious but emerging is accurate and it doesn't mean he's a future lock down corner. We did see progress and that's one aspect of emerging. With a Corner, we can't tell if he belongs like we can with Hyatt. We can however tell if he's a dud, which he appears not.

We're all fans here and there's no reason to come down hard on a fellow member when all he's doing is being enthusiastic.

It's not like he's predicting Daniel Jones will be an elite QB after three weeks of camp and defy historical trend for a fifth year QB.  /sarcasm/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 10, 2023, 02:19:48 PMPersonally, I'm a bit shocked by the negativity to the new glowing reports about Banks, I thought this would make people happy?

It's not that people aren't unhappy at all. Everyone wants to see the guy be a star. But it's only camp. Last year Sills was fantastic in camp and in preseason but it didn't translate to regular season for a variety of reasons. We shouldn't get too high or too low. Everything I read and what I see in clips has Jones looking different this year, but until he does it in the season it is all just fluff

Dgoodmantrublu

The difference in talent level between Banks and Sills is so large it may be impossible to quantify.

Quote from: Trench on August 10, 2023, 11:15:08 PMIt's not that people aren't unhappy at all. Everyone wants to see the guy be a star. But it's only camp. Last year Sills was fantastic in camp and in preseason but it didn't translate to regular season for a variety of reasons. We shouldn't get too high or too low. Everything I read and what I see in clips has Jones looking different this year, but until he does it in the season it is all just fluff

Trench

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 10, 2023, 11:28:09 PMThe difference in talent level between Banks and Sills is so large it may be impossible to quantify.

I was not trying to quantify it. Merely pointing out how these guys look in preseason really means nothing except to the coaches

kartanoman

Banks is in the process of learning a system. He's doing that but also working with hia raw skillset. Give the young man time to get integrated and aligned with the defensive team, and I have little doubt he'll show his value to all.

Also, let's have a reality check. Nobody on that field has "arrived" unless they're punching that group, with the star on their helmets, square in the jaw, play after play, for 60 minutes and the final score indicates justice for once and for all.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kingm56

To each their own; however, 'reports' from offseason and/or training camps rarely correlate to regular season production.  To that point, how many positive reports did we read concerning Will Hernandez, Lorenzo Carter, X-man, and on-and-on?  Conversely, negative reports also have no correlation on the season; last year we heard 'reports' about Barkley's lack of speed, resulting from his prior season injuries. This season, we're supposed to be concerned about Thibs.  Here's the rub, reporters get paid to report; thus, they're going to do so, regardless of relevancy, or accuracy.  Trying to glean tangible information pertaining to regular season outcome is pointless; I'd offer it's fruitless to be concerned about negative reports, or excited about positive news.  The regular season is all that matters; obviously, reports pertaining to injuries are the exception.  In short, we'll know if Banks is emerging by the end of the season....