News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen suggests new DC increase priority for Edge

Started by MightyGiants, February 27, 2024, 10:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Thibs and Lawrence will thrive significantly more in this front as opposed to Winks.

Stringer Bell

That said, might Bryce Huff be the team's top FA target? Will be tough for the Jets to keep him given their cap space.

But he's soon-to-be 26, entering his prime, and plays a position that - outside of QB - could most impact the trajectory of the team.

Problem is, would likely take something like 4 years, $72 million to get him. Anyone biting at that price?

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 27, 2024, 12:11:36 PMThibs and Lawrence will thrive significantly more in this front as opposed to Winks.

Lawrence became an all-pro when Wink's defense was installed.

I hope you are right, but I worry that changing what Dex is doing is going to moving back towards what he looked like under the previous regime. 

I also sincerely hope that whatever Bowen wants to do isn't going to take a wholesale change of personnel that won't see results for two years.  Really Daboll better know that, and not be hoping, because if the D goes backwards this year, I doubt he'll be around in 2025.

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 27, 2024, 10:56:09 AMhttps://x.com/art_stapleton/status/1762505386660126937?s=20

https://x.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1762504479906087386?s=20

What am I missing about Wink's D?  I never saw it as a "read and react".  Generally blitzing a lot is the opposite of read and react.  Is Bowen's philosophy more like Schwartz or Quinn who like to put 4 DL all trying to get up field? 

Regardless, I don't see how one of the most blitz happy defenses in the NFL would be considered read and react.

londonblue

Wink's D got pressure by scheming free rushers with a high % of blitzes, often using LB and DB to rush the QB with the DL and at least one edge typically holding the LoS. Dex's unique qualities could still create pressures but this is part of why KT's sacks were mainly schemed free and his overall pressure rate was low. Wink often had him playing run first.

Bowen relies on his front 3 and a rush Edge to bring pressure aggressively to both disrupt the run and get to the QB. He does blitz but about half as much as Wink. We need more pass rush/LoS disruption from DT and Edge to run his scheme. He should be able to utilise Dex but we need a Leo replacement and better/more reliable Edge depth to maximise effectiveness.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

uconnjack8

Quote from: londonblue on February 27, 2024, 05:03:51 PMWink's D got pressure by scheming free rushers with a high % of blitzes, often using LB and DB to rush the QB with the DL and at least one edge typically holding the LoS. Dex's unique qualities could still create pressures but this is part of why KT's sacks were mainly schemed free and his overall pressure rate was low. Wink often had him playing run first.

Bowen relies on his front 3 and a rush Edge to bring pressure aggressively to both disrupt the run and get to the QB. He does blitz but about half as much as Wink. We need more pass rush/LoS disruption from DT and Edge to run his scheme. He should be able to utilise Dex but we need a Leo replacement and better/more reliable Edge depth to maximise effectiveness.

Thanks for that.

Sound like that is closer to what Buffalo does with their DL.