News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Scary thought - Giants record was boosted by a +12 turnover differential

Started by AYM, March 23, 2024, 09:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AYM

While Schoen and the Giants front office consider trading up, I hope they consider this fact. A +12 turnover ratio is hard to duplicate, meaning the team was actually a lot worse than the W/L record would indicate.

londonblue

It did not create a large favourable net points off turnovers margin (because our O sucked) so arguably it did not boost our record much. Our record was also hurt by a -50 sack differential, easily the worst in the league. How much? Make your own mind up.

I'd expect both the outlying turnover and sack differentials to normalise. Whether either change translates into a shift in our W-L record will depend on many other factors.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

kartanoman

Quote from: londonblue on March 23, 2024, 10:46:53 AMIt did not create a large favourable net points off turnovers margin (because our O sucked) so arguably it did not boost our record much. Our record was also hurt by a -50 sack differential, easily the worst in the league. How much? Make your own mind up.

I'd expect both the outlying turnover and sack differentials to normalise. Whether either change translates into a shift in our W-L record will depend on many other factors.

Plenty of oddities in the season and these were two of them. You can also remark on the unheard of statistic the Giants had four (4) placekickers during the season (NOTE: technically five (5) but Cade York never made it to the field and was injured in practice). Gano, Bullock, Scottish Hammer and Crosby make four. That beats Parcells' crazy kicker carousels in 1985 (Ali Haji-Skeikh, Jess Atkinson, Eric Shubert) and 1986 (Bob Thomas, Joe Cooper and finally Raul Allegre). We all know how the kicking game impacted the W-L column this year as well.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

Quote from: londonblue on March 23, 2024, 10:46:53 AMIt did not create a large favourable net points off turnovers margin (because our O sucked) so arguably it did not boost our record much. Our record was also hurt by a -50 sack differential, easily the worst in the league. How much? Make your own mind up.

Their record was also hurt by the fact that they had a horrific rush defense, something that is constantly overlooked by those singing encomiums to Wink.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

The irony was that three-game winning streak that tanked the Giants chances for an elite QB and sparked Devito-mania was driven more by the turnovers from the defense than it was Devito's throwing acuman
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I remember mentioning this to our resident Cutlets Fan.

Hey, when the ball bounces your way, take it.

I'll never hope for a loss to get a higher draft pick. Game day, I'm all in.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin