News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What Separates Marvin Harrison Jr. From His Peers

Started by MightyGiants, March 23, 2024, 10:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In this clip from The 33rd Team archives, Hall of Fame GM Bill Polian sits down with Ohio State co-OC/WR coach Brian Hartline to learn what separated Marvin Harrison Jr. from his peers - and examine the similarities and differences from his father.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/what-separates-marvin-harrison-jr-from-his-peers/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

We'll never get him. We'd need either Pick 3 or 4, or the most outlandish luck, and we're not a lucky team.

At Pick 6 we'd likely need ALL 5 picks ahead of us to be QB's (there aren't 5 worth taking that high).

A trade up would be required, and it would have to be with the right team... and we really can't afford it, although I personally as GM would do it (damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 23, 2024, 11:24:46 AMWe'll never get him. We'd need either Pick 3 or 4, or the most outlandish luck, and we're not a lucky team.

At Pick 6 we'd likely need ALL 5 picks ahead of us to be QB's (there aren't 5 worth taking that high).

A trade up would be required, and it would have to be with the right team... and we really can't afford it, although I personally as GM would do it (damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead).

Bob

Bob,

Mike Lombardi, who is pretty well connected, says some teams use Nabers as their number one WR.  So if 4 QBs go, there is an outside chance Nabers could go first and MHJ falls to the Giants at 6.  I'll admit it's a longshot but I don't think it's impossible.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Does it make you nervous that MH Jr is not participating in any pro days and did nothing at the combine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

madbadger

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 23, 2024, 11:24:46 AMWe'll never get him. We'd need either Pick 3 or 4, or the most outlandish luck, and we're not a lucky team.

Bob

While not likely you could have four quarterbacks and a team who desperately needs a tackle for Harrison to fall to us.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 23, 2024, 11:43:56 AMBob,

Mike Lombardi, who is pretty well connected, says some teams use Nabers as their number one WR.  So if 4 QBs go, there is an outside chance Nabers could go first and MHJ falls to the Giants at 6.  I'll admit it's a longshot but I don't think it's impossible.

Rich: If Lombardi is right, then so is your post.  At least it's something to hope for. 

IMO it will likely come down to whom the Cardinals select (I'm hoping they'll trade down and settle for WR #3).

What would it cost the Giants to switch picks with them? They can't afford to trade up three so they'll be at the mercy of what the Pats do (trade out, take a QB, take Harrison! or "pass" lol). In any event, the Giants luck is about zero so I'm probably just wasting time by typing this.

Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 23, 2024, 12:50:29 PMDoes it make you nervous that MH Jr is not participating in any pro days and did nothing at the combine?

andrew: Not even a bit... IMO he's already a pro football player due to his background plus (more importantly) taking full advantage of his background. As a student of the game, he really does have it all, IMO. Bob

madbadger

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 23, 2024, 01:48:24 PMandrew: Not even a bit... he's IMO is already a pro football player due to his background plus (more importantly) taking full advantage of his background. As a student of the game, he really does have it all, IMO. Bob

Bob, the history of the NFL is littered with the bones of can't miss guys who missed. My concern is drafting a guy that early and belatedly finding out that he's a 4.6 guy who bluffed his way through not putting down a recorded time only to struggle to get separation in the NFL.

sooners56

Chris Simms had MHJ ranked 3rd behind Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. Simms also states that many NFL folks feel the same.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: sooners56 on March 23, 2024, 02:50:12 PMChris Simms had MHJ ranked 3rd behind Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. Simms also states that many NFL folks feel the same.
In separation? Or as an overall WR?

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

sooners56

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 23, 2024, 03:27:39 PMIn separation? Or as an overall WR?

Overall WR rankings.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

4 Aces

He just knows what to do. He plays with a calmness that allows him to make tough catches.

The comparison to Larry Fitzgerald is good. Big, great hands, perfect technique and a natural football player. Odunze or Nabers would be very exciting, but if the Giants somehow got MHJ I'd be over the moon. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: 4 Aces on March 23, 2024, 05:03:48 PMHe just knows what to do. He plays with a calmness that allows him to make tough catches.

The comparison to Larry Fitzgerald is good. Big, great hands, perfect technique and a natural football player. Odunze or Nabers would be very exciting, but if the Giants somehow got MHJ I'd be over the moon. 

MHJ is much faster than Fitz ever was, but I get the stylistic comparison.

Bob In PA

Quote from: madbadger on March 23, 2024, 02:27:39 PMBob, the history of the NFL is littered with the bones of can't miss guys who missed. My concern is drafting a guy that early and belatedly finding out that he's a 4.6 guy who bluffed his way through not putting down a recorded time only to struggle to get separation in the NFL.

madb: He comes complete with NFL-caliber route variation ability and has demonstrated that quality throughout his college career. He not only knows all the routes, he knows how to run each of them using different get-off techniques and variations. In other words, he's super-cagey, and NFL backs will have a hard time "bullying" him off-course, which IMO is the greatest problem faced by WR's as they convert from college to the NFL.

What he does not know (or, I should say, what he did not demonstrate at Ohio State) is how to play on the other side of the offensive line. At Ohio State I seem to recall that he was always used starting from one side (the right side), so there could be a problem with moving him around in the formations.

However, I seriously doubt that the staring position on the line is going to matter much to a guy who can run three or four "versions" of every route without ever finding himself somewhere other than where the QB expects him to be (at the exact time the QB expects him to be there). In short, that criticism of him is mostly b.s.

Bob

Philosophers