News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Where do you think Michael Penix Jr. will be drafted?

Started by brownelvis54, March 23, 2024, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Question for draft and college watchers. Where do you see Michael Penix Jr. being drafted?  Very curious for a few reasons. One is I think four QBs will be drafted when we pick, and that's not a bad thing if what COULD go down, if fact does. Say the Giants stay at 6 and draft Rome Odunze and then either wait and hope that Penix falls to the 2nd round (even if that happens, by the time we pick in the 2nd Penix most likely be gone) or the other option is to trade back up to the first round (but where, what pick?) and select Penix. We would have a Joe Burrow/Chase situation.

1-Where do you see Penix being drafted

2-Would you be for trading back up to select Penix?

Here is a very good article with film...

Michael Penix Jr.'s draft ceiling: What film shows about Washington QB's NFL potential

At first glance, Micheal Penix Jr. looks like a sure-fire first-round quarterback. He has experience, gaudy statistics, size, arm talent, played in a pro-style-ish offense and he has won some big games, leading Washington to the national championship game.

These are all boxes that scouts want checked for quarterback prospects, but some red flags appear after closer examination on the field and off of it (not behavioral). After transferring from Indiana, in his two seasons at Washington, he passed for 9,544 yards, 67 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.

What will worry scouts is his age and medical history. Penix turns 24 in May and he has had six years playing college football, so there will inevitably be questions about how much room he has left to grow. At Indiana, he tore his right ACL twice and has had serious injuries to both his shoulders. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Penix got "positive medical news" at the combine. If that means teams feel good about his health moving forward, Penix cleared a major hurdle and teams can focus on his film, which is spectacular, but like any prospect, it comes with some concern.

Penix throws a beautiful deep ball with consistently good placement. His deep ball changed the course of the 2023 college season and was one of the primary reasons Washington had the magical season it did. He had three receivers who will play on Sunday, including Rome Odunze, who could be a top-10 pick, and an offensive coordinator in Ryan Grubb who called deep shots at an unrelenting pace.

https://theathletic.com/5359869/2024/03/22/michael-penix-nfl-draft-quarterback/
The KING is in the building

londonblue

Somewhere from 20-60 but it only takes 1 team...
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

DaveBrown74

I'll guess late first, but it's possible he falls to the second. By the middle of the second round I have to believe he'll be gone.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 23, 2024, 01:34:50 PMI'll guess late first, but it's possible he falls to the second. By the middle of the second round I have to believe he'll be gone.

I think you nailed it.

nb587

I heard Chris Canty on a podcast this morning say that Penix is QB4 on his list.

brownelvis54

Quote from: londonblue on March 23, 2024, 01:33:57 PMSomewhere from 20-60 but it only takes 1 team...

Absolutely agree. I have seen multiple drafts where Penix is all over the map. I have no doubt Rome Odunze is going to be a bad ass regardless of where he goes. I am intrigued by the possibility of Penix and Odunze pairing together on the Giants. Looking at the attached link from the Atlantic, on the film videos, it is clear Penix does look at his progressions and seems to have a good grasp when looking across the field. Jones, IMO doesn't seem to have that same skill set, either because he simply can't see the whole field or because he is running his ass off and doesn't have the time to go through his progressions. Concerns about Penix is age and injuries add the fact that he is a lefty and would need RT protection.

Hadron

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Hadron on March 23, 2024, 04:51:59 PMAge and injuries? Probably round 2-3.

Could be. We have seen QBs recently that were supposed to go in the first round drop further than that. Matt Corral from a couple years ago comes to mind. So does Malik Willis.

Penix is likely better than these guys, but at the time both were being hyped up by fans and media as big time prospects.

brownelvis54

I remember reading a rumor that the Viking were really high on him. They could keep both their 1st round picks and get there QB and a nice WR

katkavage

I can't say why I feel this, but my gut tells me Penix might be, or will have the best career of all the 2024 QBs.

jgrangers2

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 23, 2024, 05:08:17 PMCould be. We have seen QBs recently that were supposed to go in the first round drop further than that. Matt Corral from a couple years ago comes to mind. So does Malik Willis.

Penix is likely better than these guys, but at the time both were being hyped up by fans and media as big time prospects.

I remember Liberty playing Ole Miss that year and like half the league sending scouts to see those two guys thinking they would both be top 10 picks. Both ended up going in the third round and, ironically, both teams then traded up to take another QB in 2023 (Carolina with Young and Tennessee with Levis).

Assuming the top 4 go off the board in the top 5-6 picks as seems to be expected now, it comes down to whether or not a team falls in love with Penix (or Bo Nix for that matter). I can see him going in the top 15 to a team like Denver or Vegas. If not, I don't see him going until at least the second round.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jgrangers2 on March 23, 2024, 05:51:59 PMI remember Liberty playing Ole Miss that year and like half the league sending scouts to see those two guys thinking they would both be top 10 picks. Both ended up going in the third round and, ironically, both teams then traded up to take another QB in 2023 (Carolina with Young and Tennessee with Levis).

Assuming the top 4 go off the board in the top 5-6 picks as seems to be expected now, it comes down to whether or not a team falls in love with Penix (or Bo Nix for that matter). I can see him going in the top 15 to a team like Denver or Vegas. If not, I don't see him going until at least the second round.

That's probably right. Unless someone trades up into the late first (would probably need two teams to be jockeying for that to happen).

MightyGiants

No idea, anywhere between low one and round four.  Injuries and his weakness dealing with pressure will offset his impressive throwing ability.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jgrangers2

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 23, 2024, 07:37:55 PMThat's probably right. Unless someone trades up into the late first (would probably need two teams to be jockeying for that to happen).

And one of the truly QB needy teams is Denver and they don't have a 2nd round pick to trade up. Kind of feels like the Giants, Raiders or bust for those two even in the 2nd round. I think the Rams and Saints could be wild cards though if they try to plan beyond the veterans they currently have.