News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

After 6 days at camp here are my risers and fallers

Started by MightyGiants, August 05, 2023, 08:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoelessjoe

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2023, 04:36:06 PMIt would be a bold move to have 2 rookies at the boundary CB positions

Yes Rich I agree, but it would be nice to eventually have Jackson covering lamb in the slot.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on August 05, 2023, 09:40:24 PMYes Rich I agree, but it would be nice to eventually have Jackson covering lamb in the slot.

Frank,

I could see the Giants doing it for the Dallas games, but going back to Jackson on the outside for other games.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 05, 2023, 08:56:24 AMAfter watching 6 practice sessions

RISERS

Dexter Lawrence-  He looks even more powerful than last season
Micah McFadden-  Very impressive in coverage, I don't think Beavers has the 2nd ILB job won (at least just yet)
T. Hawkins III- Perhaps the biggest surprise of camp has been the performance of this day 3 CB
E. Neal- He may not be playing like a 7th overall pick but he looks much better than last season
M. Peart- quietly has had a nice camp
Darren Waller-  The guy is a beast
Cole Beasley- I thought it was a joke when they signed him, but he might play a big role in this offense
Jalin Hyatt- I didn't expect much from him this season, but he could end up being the number-one WR
Daniel Jones- more confident, quicker throws, and more accuracy
B. Bredeson- Is becoming a leader (first one out on offense) and I think he is a starter somewhere on the line
Carter Coughlin- I think he makes a push to be the 4th ILB
Eric Gray- I liked his few offensive plays but he has sealed the deal as the kick return and maybe punt returner
Daniel Bellinger-  has looked good although Waller is clearly the number one TE

FALLERS

Kayvon Thibodeaux-  He has not been impressive so far in camp.  Usually, a good pass rusher will have a few "wow" type plays, but KT has not had any.  I hope this is an indication of the quality of the OTs rather than a reflection of KT
D. Holmes and C. Flott-  Slot CB is becoming a mild concern
Isaiah Hodgins- training camp is where WRs shine, but Hodgins has not.  If not for last year's accomplishments, I would wonder if he was making the team.  In fairness, Hodgins is better against zone, and Wink loves M2M
Bryce Ford-Wheaton-  He's big, and I know he tested through the roof, but I am not seeing it on the field
Lawrence Cager-  hasn't had a very good camp; I wouldn't be surprised if Sweeney takes his job
Tyrod Taylor- does not seem as good as last year
Sterling Shepard- Barring injury, I am not liking his chances of making the team
X. McKinney-  Been pretty invisible
A. Oruwariye- From former Lions starting CB to longshot to make the team

Would you put Sills as a riser based on what u have seen?

Jaime

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on August 05, 2023, 10:26:17 PMWould you put Sills as a riser based on what u have seen?

Sills has been what he has been before, a training camp star among the 2nd and 3rd string.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 06, 2023, 07:35:15 AMSills has been what he has been before, a training camp star among the 2nd and 3rd string.   

Ahhh ok, I didn't realize he didn't get reps against the 1st string

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on August 06, 2023, 09:51:49 AMAhhh ok, I didn't realize he didn't get reps against the 1st string

Plus Collin Johnson is Tyrod's favorite target
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 06, 2023, 10:09:39 AMPlus Collin Johnson is Tyrod's favorite target

Johnson really impressed me last year

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on August 06, 2023, 10:33:22 AMJohnson really impressed me last year

He's looked pretty good and is clearly T2's favorite target. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

Amazing that Daboll was able to produce wins with David Sills getting playing time. He's not an NFL caliber WR.

Trench

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 07, 2023, 07:51:02 PMAmazing that Daboll was able to produce wins with David Sills getting playing time. He's not an NFL caliber WR.

Nope. You're wrong.

Go watch Sills in preseason games and first few regular season games. He gets separation and he's dependable.

Let's revisit this together at the end of the year

Dgoodmantrublu

He's dependable to be in the right place. And he's a try hard guy. I don't see the separation. I believe Hodgins replacing him was a key part of the passing game getting better towards the end of the season. I think the staff shares this opinion as they did not activate him for several games the 2nd half of the season.

DaveBrown74

I will say this about Sills: the opportunity he had last year, with our receiver room in the state it was in and some of the injuries, is an opportunity he'll probably never get again. You can't ask for a better chance than that. He's 27 now too, so not exactly a spring chicken at this point. I think everyone likes and respects him, and I feel like he had a chance and it just didn't click for him in games. I recall him making a critical drop on a key third down when he was open in the first Dallas game, and they desperately needed the conversion.

I like him myself. I love his hustle and perseverance. But it's hard to see him landing on the 53 unless at least two players who aren't already hurt get hurt. I think there are guys above him in the pecking order right now who probably won't even make the team. It's a way deeper room than last year. That's why I feel like last year was his best shot, and he just didn't make a big enough impact in games.

True Blue

Shame Wheaton hasn't shown anything. Had some optimism around him. Maybe some time to grow on PS will help him out. Was hoping we found a diamond in the rough, many here were high on him as a prospect and was suprised he went undrafted. Guess he is showing some of the reasons why.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 08, 2023, 06:55:22 AMI will say this about Sills: the opportunity he had last year, with our receiver room in the state it was in and some of the injuries, is an opportunity he'll probably never get again. You can't ask for a better chance than that. He's 27 now too, so not exactly a spring chicken at this point. I think everyone likes and respects him, and I feel like he had a chance and it just didn't click for him in games. I recall him making a critical drop on a key third down when he was open in the first Dallas game, and they desperately needed the conversion.

I like him myself. I love his hustle and perseverance. But it's hard to see him landing on the 53 unless at least two players who aren't already hurt get hurt. I think there are guys above him in the pecking order right now who probably won't even make the team. It's a way deeper room than last year. That's why I feel like last year was his best shot, and he just didn't make a big enough impact in games.

Yes he made one critical drop. But who hasn't? He also did not have a lot of opportunities thrown his way