News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Rich Eisen vs Joe Schoen feud

Started by MightyGiants, April 19, 2024, 09:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Rich Eisen has always struck me as more of a schmoozer than someone who was controversial or combative.  Yet, he seems to be having a low-key feud with Schoen.

ROUND 1-  Rich Eisen declares the Giants are done with Jones and have buyer's remorse

https://x.com/CGF_Sports/status/1765009205293875316

ROUND 2-  Joe Schoen pushes back and suggests Rich's claims are not true

Q. At the combine or after the combine, Rich Eisen went on his show and said that all he heard was a lot of buyer's remorse from the Giants -- he didn't say from whom obviously -- about the contract given to Daniel. On Monday Daniel talked to us, and he said very confidently, he thinks he is the best quarterback to start the season, assuming he's healthy, for the Giants. Where are you right now, maybe small and big picture, on Daniel Jones?

JOE SCHOEN: Like I said before, the expectation is for him to be our starter. Again, I don't have a crystal ball. I hope he doesn't have any setbacks. He's working his tail off.

One of the things, when you go back and you watch the 2022 season or all of his throws in 2022, like he was a 25-year-old player that played at a high level and we won 10 games and won a playoff game. I'm still confident in Daniel, the way he's wired, what he showed us in 2022.

Again, did we have the best start to the season last year? Absolutely not. Anything that could have went wrong, it seems like it did early on between injuries and some other things. I've still got a lot of confidence in Daniel.

Q. Doesn't part of you wonder who told Eisen that stuff?

JOE SCHOEN: I can't worry about that. There's stuff out there all the time that's not true. You really can't let it bother you. I've got a good relationship with Daniel, and we communicate all the time.

Again, he's here all the time. We've got a good relationship, and we communicate well. If he has an issue or hears something or something I think I need to talk to him about, we do that often.

ROUND 3-  Rich doubles down on his claims and predicts the Giants will draft a QB high in the draft

https://x.com/RichEisenShow/status/1781123776471880115
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Content is content and little more than that. Still, it's not hard to see a basis for Rich Eisen's rather widely shared view nor is Joe Schoen's stance in any way unreasonable.

If there is to be a right or wrong, a win or lose in such matter, that should become clear 6 days from now if the Giants have an opportunity to take a QB at 6 and choose otherwise. And in such event, we can be sure that certain parties right here will make clear their BM&W displeasure.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on April 19, 2024, 09:30:14 AMContent is content and little more than that. Still, it's not hard to see a basis for Rich Eisen's rather widely shared view nor is Joe Schoen's stance in any way unreasonable.

If there is to be a right or wrong, a win or lose in such matter, that should become clear 6 days from now if the Giants have an opportunity to take a QB at 6 and choose otherwise. And in such event, we can be sure that certain parties right here will make clear their BM&W displeasure.

Cheers!

For the record, I am good either way.  If the Giants take a QB I will be fine (I will be less fine if they give up draft assets to trade up, but I am not going to be upset) and I will be fine if the Giants don't draft a QB and ride with Jones for another season and acquire an elite WR prospect.

The harsh reality is that my opinions of any of the Giants' decisions will be based on far less information and knowledge of facts than Schoen and Daboll will have in making their choices.  It would be sort of arrogant of me to think I will know better with less intel.  I appreciate that it's quite possible that the decision Schoen and Daboll make could prove to be incorrect, but I am not in a position to second-guess it without more information (like how things play out over time).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Very misleading title, at worst. This is far from a feud. Media personality says he heard something. Person in the know denies it. Par.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 19, 2024, 09:36:24 AMFor the record, I am good either way.  If the Giants take a QB I will be fine (I will be less fine if they give up draft assets to trade up, but I am not going to be upset) and I will be fine if the Giants don't draft a QB and ride with Jones for another season and acquire an elite WR prospect.

The harsh reality is that my opinions of any of the Giants' decisions will be based on far less information and knowledge of facts than Schoen and Daboll will have in making their choices.  It would be sort of arrogant of me to think I will know better with less intel.  I appreciate that it's quite possible that the decision Schoen and Daboll make could prove to be incorrect, but I am not in a position to second-guess it without more information (like how things play out over time).

Unfortunately, not everyone here shares your view, Rich. Quite obviously, while honest criticism is to be welcomed, there are a few bias-bound folks right here, every day, who'd rather bash than root as likely will become apparent next week.

Cheers!

londonblue

We will know soon. The Giants need better players. That definitely starts at QB but it applies to pretty much every area of the team. It is not a one year fix. The argument is really about the order things get addressed.

I am coming round to our likeliest option being a trade back to late round 1 (Buffalo and 49ers both reportedly keen to come up into WR range) to add a day 2 pick this year and a R1 2025 pick. It would let us tackle an extra need this year and give us ammunition to go for QB1 or 2 from next year's shallower pool.

This makes sense to me because I think we get outbid in trade up discussions to get QB 3 or 4 in this year's supposedly bumper crop but I do expect us to at least try.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 19, 2024, 10:09:46 AMWe will know soon. The Giants need better players. That definitely starts at QB but it applies to pretty much every area of the team. It is not a one year fix. The argument is really about the order things get addressed.

I am coming round to our likeliest option being a trade back to late round 1 (Buffalo and 49ers both reportedly keen to come up into WR range) to add a day 2 pick this year and a R1 2025 pick. It would let us tackle an extra need this year and give us ammunition to go for QB1 or 2 from next year's shallower pool.

This makes sense to me because I think we get outbid in trade up discussions to get QB 3 or 4 in this year's supposedly bumper crop but I do expect us to at least try.

Neil,

I don't dislike the trade down scenario, but I have a sneaking suspicion that isn't going to happen, based on something Schoen said at his pressure.  He talked about how this draft is less stressful because he is picking high up, compared to last year, when they were drafting about 2/3rds of the way down.  I would think Joe would still be more stressed (because he would be picking lower) if he intended on trading down this year.

Q. What is draft day like for you? Especially as the pick nears, what is that like?

JOE SCHOEN: A lot of our work and the preparation -- especially in the first round. Last year was a little bit more stressful because when you're picking further back in the draft. Where this year at 6, it makes it a little bit easier because you can say, okay, here's six names, here's how we like them, here's our different scenarios, and you can go from there.

The first round is pretty calm just because you've done all the work. No matter how it pans out, you've got your stack and how you like the players. Last year, again, there's a little bit more anxiety and uncertainty because to us last year the draft didn't really start until pick 15, and now you're starting to narrow down who's going to be there.

Where when you're picking this high, it's a little bit different. Pretty calm because all the work and the preparation that the staff, the coaches, all of us have have done leading up to the draft. Usually feel pretty good about our board, and as you go through it, the board talks to you, and a lot of the decisions have already been made.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: londonblue on April 19, 2024, 10:09:46 AMWe will know soon. The Giants need better players. That definitely starts at QB but it applies to pretty much every area of the team. It is not a one year fix. The argument is really about the order things get addressed.

Of course, Schoen will analyze all scenarios available to him, in addition to those requiring an investment for draft positioning.

In the end, build the team, fix the damn Offensive Line and, if the QB he covets is available, then go for ot; otherwise, get a blue chip player which makes the team better. In thr end, things won't get better without better players suiting up in the Big Blue.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

katkavage

I'm sure Eisen heard it from someone who heard it from someone. If I were to guess, that someone was Daboll. I think when a coach and a GM come to a new team, they would like to pick their QB. Jones was handed to them. They had no choice but to go along with it and there weren't really any QB options in the 2022 draft. Now, though, there are options and Jones had a bad year and was injured...twice. So I have no doubt someone in the organization told Eisen that. But that doesn't mean they will draft a QB early or at all. There is still the owner to placate.