News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will DJ Be Better With Nabers?

Started by Philosophers, April 25, 2024, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

While there is nada to be gained by guessing, if DJ stays healthy and the Oline does a much better job in protection, Nabers should make the Receiving corps much better, indeed topnotch. With 6 QBs taken in the first 12, if that wasn't always the plan, tell me what was?

Unless DJ proves to be no worse than at least half of those new guys that is, have a playoff game winning season- or whatever we decide is so- the Giants will exchange him for the money saved and start over. That is the never in doubt harsh reality of it.

Cheers!

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 26, 2024, 09:05:21 AMThis is an excellent perspective, Mickey.  If the team can enjoy reasonably good health and break their decade-plus-long trend of bad offensive line play, we may finally get to see what Daniel Jones is truly capable of.

I don't blame the nay-sayers on DJ because you see a bad offense and some invariably just think some HAS to be the QB.

Last year the excuses were SUPPOSED to be over but one the very things folks who thought DJ had talent and those who didn't were saying is let's see him with a better OL.

Most blue feathered fans all admitted he could be better with a better OL. Problem is not only wasn't the OL better when the bar already was pretty low, it was WORSE!!!  :what:  :angryfire:  :banghead:

So if the logic was I'll wait and see when the OL is functional but it turned to be even worse, how can we judge the guy so harshly.

Look I wanted Drake Maye but not because I hate DJ. Its cuz Drake when I watch that tape has 'top 5' QB in NFL written all over him and Daboll could make him Josh 2.0. But short of that when Dimes is a hummin' he's a fine QB in his own right. And one maaaaaybe you could win a Bowl with. My two cents anyways!

I just hope the neck is ok. I worry a bit about another injury and then it's game over.

Healthy though I'd love this year to be a Danny Dimes REDEMPTION TOUR....  :yes:

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: Philosophers on April 25, 2024, 10:23:23 PMIf DJ continues to throw 2 yard passes on 3rd and 12, Nabers will not have mattered.  DJ needs to throw downfield now.

I mean DJ didn't have trouble throwing downfield when his OL was blocking even a little better than last years cluster**** That isn't my worry. It's simply staying healthy but that Schoen just brought in 5 OL and the OL coach. That OL coach may have been the biggest acquisition of the offseason including Nabers and I ain't kiddin'

Philosophers

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 26, 2024, 11:34:40 AMI mean DJ didn't have trouble throwing downfield when his OL was blocking even a little better than last years cluster**** That isn't my worry. It's simply staying healthy but that Schoen just brought in 5 OL and the OL coach. That OL coach may have been the biggest acquisition of the offseason including Nabers and I ain't kiddin'

He does not naturally downfield like some throwers and see a typical NFL tight window and throws it there.  Instead he bails and throws a much shorter outlet pass.  He needs to be bolder mentally.  I think he is plenty accurate to make those throws.

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: Philosophers on April 26, 2024, 11:37:40 AMHe does not naturally downfield like some throwers and see a typical NFL tight window and throws it there.  Instead he bails and throws a much shorter outlet pass.  He needs to be bolder mentally.  I think he is plenty accurate to make those throws.

Yet he led the league in tight window throws for like two years under Coach Shurm and had no issues throwing down the field.

No QB is playing confidently behind an OL that gives up 85 sacks. That's like historic level of stink

TONKA56

Quote from: Philosophers on April 26, 2024, 11:37:40 AMHe does not naturally downfield like some throwers and see a typical NFL tight window and throws it there.  Instead he bails and throws a much shorter outlet pass.  He needs to be bolder mentally.  I think he is plenty accurate to make those throws.

The question is, is Jones shell-shocked from being hit, or is he is more worried about turning the ball over?

TONKA56

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 26, 2024, 11:41:51 AMYet he led the league in tight window throws for like two years under Coach Shurm and had no issues throwing down the field.

No QB is playing confidently behind an OL that gives up 85 sacks. That's like historic level of stink

He was drafted to play in Pat Shurmur's offense. Shurmer is gone.

LennG

Look, Jones is what he is, an average passer who doesn't throw a very good long ball. On 10-15 yard passes when the guy is wide open, he hits him, but, to me, he is sort of hesitant to throw and let the WR make a play. He is sloppy with his throws many times and just looks to run a bit too much. Can we win with that, maybe for a while, but winning isn't what we want, a championship is and we will never achieve that with Jones. He just has too many flaws.

Take any average QB, line him up with a very good OL and very good WRs and he had better succeed. Look at Dak on Dallas. He has one of the best OLs, maybe the best WR in the NFL, and an excellent running game, and yet
Dak can't get them even deep into the playoffs. Does anyone here really think Jones is better than Dak? and Dak is basically average with a lot of help.

Sorry guys, the goal is a championship and we will never achieve that with Jones under center no matter how much talent we surround him with.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

StompYouOT

Yessir.  I don't think we hear too many excuses next year when Jones doesn't come through.  I just wonder how and when we will find that guy if next year's draft class is subpar?  This draft looks like solid work by Schoen and Daboll along with the Jax trade.  Slowly but surely we might get to being a "QB away" type team.

TONKA56

Quote from: StompYouOT on April 26, 2024, 10:30:10 PMYessir.  I don't think we hear too many excuses next year when Jones doesn't come through.  I just wonder how and when we will find that guy if next year's draft class is subpar?  This draft looks like solid work by Schoen and Daboll along with the Jax trade.  Slowly but surely we might get to being a "QB away" type team.

I believe we may be looking to the 2026 draft and will tread water until then.

EDjohnst1981

uconnjack8

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 27, 2024, 05:39:42 AMI believe we may be looking to the 2026 draft and will tread water until then.

If they are treading water for the next 2 years, do you think Daboll is still around for the new QB?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Philosophers on April 25, 2024, 10:07:33 PMIf Nabers makes DJ a top 10 QB I will be jacked as I like DJ.  If he throws for 2,500 yards, 16 TDs, 9 INTs and is sacked 60+ times, I will really wonder about this pick.

I Think the pick certainly helps dj, but also puts pressure on him to perform. if he doesnt, we just spent a huge amount of draft capital on nabers, and you HAVE to go get him a qb that can maximize his talent. it puts just as much pressure on jones, as it takes off.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 26, 2024, 08:35:38 AMIs Nabers the kind of guy that will flap his arms, talk smack to his quarterback, and make remarks to the media if things aren't going well?

why i preferred odunze. much better personality. but time will tell.

TONKA56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 27, 2024, 07:35:37 AMIf they are treading water for the next 2 years, do you think Daboll is still around for the new QB?

That's a damn good question and I almost included it in my comment. I'd have to say yes because Schoen is just as culpable. But I never know what John and Chris Mara are thinking despite all the presumption that surrounds them.