News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Analytics geek ranks all the NFL rosters

Started by MightyGiants, April 20, 2024, 07:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

It's at the Athletic but here is where he ranks the Giants:

30. New York Giants
Two teams rank worse for 2024, but I think the Giants might be in the worst shape for the future. The Giants have paid a QB, who isn't the answer, a ton of money, and they don't have a pick to draft one of the top prospects in this year's draft. They could move up to get one, but if they don't, I suppose wide receiver makes the most sense.

Here is the bio for the guy doing the ranking:

QuoteAustin Mock uses advanced statistical models and simulations to predict outcomes and rate performances in the NFL, college football, MLB and other sports.

Here is how he came to these rankings:

I've used my NFL Projection Model to rank each roster ahead of next week's draft. The model takes into account an array of metrics and tries to put a "value" on every player. This value is essentially how many points above average a player brings to his team in a typical NFL game. Positional value weighs heavily when calculating that total. So the best running back or linebacker in the league will not be worth as much as the best wide receiver or edge rusher. After summing up all the values, each team was ranked 1-32. Here's how the rosters stack up entering the draft.

https://theathletic.com/5421480/2024/04/18/nfl-draft-2024-roster-rankings-projections/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

That type of analysis fails to consider that it is a team sport. 

The ratings of each player fail to account for the other players with whom they play.  They can't just be added together to get a final total.

A team is like a car motor. Every part must perform (and fit with the other parts) according to specifications or the engine (team) will not run efficiently.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 20, 2024, 07:56:36 AMThat type of analysis fails to consider that it is a team sport. 

The ratings of each player fail to account for the other players with whom they play.  They can't just be added together to get a final total.

A team is like a car motor. Every part must perform (and fit with the other parts) according to specifications or the engine (team) will not run efficiently.

Bob

Bob,

As you know, I like to play with analytics myself.  Still, no matter how good a system sounds (or perhaps sounds flawed), I tend to step back and look how accurate the results look after all is said and done.

Here are the top 7 talented rosters per this author and his measures:

1. San Francisco 49ers
2. Kansas City Chiefs
3. Baltimore Ravens
4. Buffalo Bills
5. Philadelphia Eagles
6. Detroit Lions
7. Dallas Cowboys

With the possible exceptions of the Bills this seems to be a pretty reasonable ranking of roster talent (at least in my assessment)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 20, 2024, 08:04:17 AMBob,

As you know, I like to play with analytics myself.  Still, no matter how good a system sounds (or perhaps sounds flawed), I tend to step back and look how accurate the results look after all is said and done.

Here are the top 7 talented rosters per this author and his measures:

1. San Francisco 49ers
2. Kansas City Chiefs
3. Baltimore Ravens
4. Buffalo Bills
5. Philadelphia Eagles
6. Detroit Lions
7. Dallas Cowboys

With the possible exceptions of the Bills this seems to be a pretty reasonable ranking of roster talent (at least in my assessment)

It's a good list, and it at least partially justifies your interest in the analytics arena. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!