News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball trivia Question of the Day, or thereabouts

Started by retrojint, August 24, 2011, 01:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher

In its "The End of the Century" series, ESPN rated Mayo Smith's decision to move Stanley to shortstop for the 1968 World Series as one of the 10 greatest coaching decisions of the century. - from Wikipedia.
My allusion was for Ray Oyler, the Tigers shortstop all year,who was benched for Stanley to move from CF to SS in the Series. The soon to be born Seattle Pilots who lasted one season only to perish from lack of Northwest support picked Oyler with the third pick in the expansion draft.

retrojint

Good follow up, Dasher. If you lived in Syracuse during that era, there was an affinity for the Tigers because they had been the parent club of the local AAA Chiefs. I saw many of them at least a few times.  Stanley was a helluva centerfielder. Not Paul Blair, but very good.
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

dasher

Friday evening easy trivia question:
Name the two pitchers who won and saved at least 150 games each

bighitterdalama

The combination of the two stats indicates a starter who converted a closer. Additionally, the player must be of more recent vintage, post 1970, since when the save became a more dominant stat. My off-the-top-of-my-head guesses were (XXX) and (YYY). I checked and found out that I got one out of two. Then I thought about it a bit more. Perhaps the player began as a starter, converted to reliever, and reverted to starter. One player came to mind fit this mold: pitcher (ZZZ). In fact, this pitcher switched from starter, to reliever, to starter, and back to reliever. Hall of fame talent.

(XXX) = Dennis Eckersley
(YYY) = Hoyt Wilhelm
(ZZZ) = John Smoltz

Answer: Eckersley and Smoltz.

Big Hitter

retrojint

That's pretty fair analysis. I think Dasher buried my trivia question from yesterday, Brian. The answer was George "Stork" Theodore. Remember him? A gangly, funny looking assortment of ill-fitted body parts. 

PLEASE NOTE: THERE WILL BE NO TRIVIA QUESTIONS THIS WEEKEND. THERE IS NOTHING TRIVIAL ABOUT THE SOLEMN EVENTS THAT WILL COMMEMORATE 9-11. WE REMEMBER AND HONOR.

dasher

As usual, Brian gets it right. Between you and Steve in the 'Cuse and Big Red in Batavia (not sure of that hometown) upstate and western NY rule baseball trivia.
Plus, I get a few morsels right and I'm Ithaca Dale. What happened to weeze?

Bill Brown

Here is one for y'all.

Who was the only batter who ever struck out against a 59-year old pitcher, in a major league game?

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

dasher

Hi Bill,
Believe it or not - the answer came to me right away., The pitcher was Satchell - the batter someone named Bill.

Bill Brown

I must get up a lot earlier in the morning to get the best of you Dale!!!!!

Bill

dasher

Bill Brown

Dale  That is the exact site where I found it.  =)) =)) =))

Bill

retrojint

9-21-11:  Name the light-hitting minor-league CF in the Chicago Cubs system, who quit the sport to enroll at Shasta Junior College. He ultimately played for the New York football Giants. ?

Webster29

Webster29

Or could it be Jason Carmichael      or maybe Jason Rizzoli???

retrojint

Ah Red you're being a real mother here, I see. Getting all the wrong Jasons. So now I set you up for the toilet-flush dunk.  Who is it?