News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

My darling wife loves some of the 'reality' shows and she has watched one particular series for years now. It is called 'Married at First Sight'. To make a long story short, they try to match up people, thru likes and dislikes, and then marry them. The kick to this is that the bride and groom have never seen, talked, or even know a name, of the other until they meet at the alter. They do what married people do (sometimes) for 2 months then have the option to either stay married or file for a legal divorce.
My wife got me interested in this, and I really like it. Yes, it may not be for everyone, but I do find how these people, supposedly matched to succeed, bond or not bond with each other. it has been on for about 11 seasons now, has spawned another like series from Australia. I believe it is on Lifetime and most seasons run about 15 episodes.
Again many don't deal in reality TV, but this is a good watch if you have a partner and we dicuss many things that would make a mans side or a womans side different.

https://www.mylifetime.com/shows/married-at-first-sight
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

If the Peppermint you're talking about is the movie with Jennifer Garner, then I agree, if you like that kind of thing, it was good.
I saw nothing but bad reviews of it, but I watched it and the only thing I can figure is that it was because it was a female in a role normally portrayed by a male lead. I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jim, I also agree with you on Person of Interest. Great show with a great storyline. I thought this series ended well too. The last episode was a good one.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ozzie on September 03, 2020, 03:03:47 PM
If the Peppermint you're talking about is the movie with Jennifer Garner, then I agree, if you like that kind of thing, it was good.
I saw nothing but bad reviews of it, but I watched it and the only thing I can figure is that it was because it was a female in a role normally portrayed by a male lead. I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jim, I also agree with you on Person of Interest. Great show with a great storyline. I thought this series ended well too. The last episode was a good one.

Yeah, it's Jennifer Garner with the lead. It actually gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from regular people. I disregard movie critics and professional reviews as every I choose to watch the ones they consider great, I can't even get through them (Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, Bird Box, The English Patient, Big Fat Greek Wedding, Moulin Rouge, etc)

I've pointed this out before and I'm embarrassed to admit how thoroughly I enjoyed the series, but it is a great, great show to watch with the wife or girlfriend. Every woman I advise to watch it say it's their favorite show ever and the husbands who winced at the title alone ends up liking it and can't wait for the next episode. It's on Netflix and it's called, "Jane the Virgin". The title alone makes one say, "why on earth would I watch a show called that?". Check it out with your wife and she'll like it and I suspect so will you. It's got sex, lots of murders, whole lot of lesbianism, bad cops, good cops, twists and turns in every episode. The person you hate the most in the first couple of seasons is the person you end up liking the most in the end. It's a novella (Mexican Soap) that differs from American Soaps that have no end and lack wacky crimes and a lot of humor.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

jimv

Quote from: ozzie on September 03, 2020, 03:03:47 PM

YES, the ending was certainly bittersweet with his going up & ringing the doorbell. :yes: :yes: :yes:

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 03, 2020, 03:40:30 PM
Yeah, it's Jennifer Garner with the lead. It actually gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from regular people. I disregard movie critics and professional reviews as every I choose to watch the ones they consider great, I can't even get through them (Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, Bird Box, The English Patient, Big Fat Greek Wedding, Moulin Rouge, etc)

I've pointed this out before and I'm embarrassed to admit how thoroughly I enjoyed the series, but it is a great, great show to watch with the wife or girlfriend. Every woman I advise to watch it say it's their favorite show ever and the husbands who winced at the title alone ends up liking it and can't wait for the next episode. It's on Netflix and it's called, "Jane the Virgin". The title alone makes one say, "why on earth would I watch a show called that?". Check it out with your wife and she'll like it and I suspect so will you. It's got sex, lots of murders, whole lot of lesbianism, bad cops, good cops, twists and turns in every episode. The person you hate the most in the first couple of seasons is the person you end up liking the most in the end. It's a novella (Mexican Soap) that differs from American Soaps that have no end and lack wacky crimes and a lot of humor.

My wife got me into Jane, The Virgin about 3 months ago and I liked it a lot. I believe we have just ended season 2 or just started season 3, but I just needed a break from, it, that's why we started This Is Us. Overall, I like Jane, thought the premise was great and though not great acting, scripts etc, but the cast really tried hard and pulled it off. My wife wants to go back to it and we will, but I just need a break from it. It was a cable show, but there is NO sex, NO vilolence, just some good natured fun.

Since you didn't give a description, Jane is a Virgin who got artifically inseminated by mistake when she went for a PAP smear, decided to have  the baby, so now she is a mother and not married and still a virgin.
I loved the part when she worked at the Catholic school and they thought of her as a messiah or something. funny, but silly show.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

OK guys, now I'm confused about Jane the Virgin. These are two very different descriptions of the same show!  :o
I guess I'll have to check it out for myself and see.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

Sem

Quote from: LennG on September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

In the last thread, I remember mentioning that I am watching Schitt's Creek (my darling wife didn't want to watch, thinking it was stupid). It IS stupid, in a weird way but it is also laugh out loud funny--really. I believe it is 5 seasons and I am deep into season 3.

Quote from: ozzie on September 02, 2020, 08:10:43 PM
Lenn, my wife and I started watching Schitt's Creek when it first came on tv. You're exactly right, it's both stupid and laugh out loud funny.
It is so quirky with a lot of understated, subtle humor. After the first couple of episodes we were trying to decide weather to stick with it or not. We're glad we did. We love that show and were sorry to see it end it's run after 5 seasons.

Just a heads up. The sixth and final season of Schitts Creek has been released. So far it's only available to purchase I believe but I'm sure it'll hit Netflix at some point. Keep your eyes out for it.

GordonGekko80

I watched Jumanji - The next level the other day and thought it was fun. Just switch the brain off and have a couple of laughs.

Most of you probably won't believe me but I've never watched Game of Thrones. Wife and I are thinking about going through it now that we have some more alone time in the evening.

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on September 04, 2020, 10:06:29 AM
I watched Jumanji - The next level the other day and thought it was fun. Just switch the brain off and have a couple of laughs.

Most of you probably won't believe me but I've never watched Game of Thrones. Wife and I are thinking about going through it now that we have some more alone time in the evening.

I am a GOT nut. I tried discussing it here several times, but seems I as the only one watching it. Truly one of the greatest shows EVER on TV, along with breaking Bad and The Sopranos. So much to see, so much to take in, truly one terrific watch. It is violent, parts are gory, but the acting, scripts, the sets are magnificent. Once you get hooked, especially now that you can binge watch, you won't be able to stop.
For us GOT nuts, the last season which was to be the best of all, just didn't live up to expectations and the ending, well, wasn't the best, but over all, maybe the best thing out there to watch.
If you do watch, anytime you want to discuss parts, just come here. I attended a sort of group discussion, once a week, when it was on, and we dissected every episode, every character. So much   have forgotten, but would love to relive it again. Just don't know why more people haven't gotten into it. Especially JBG who loves these bloody, action dramas.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I really liked both of the Jumanji movies. Action, adventure and laughs. So much better than the Robin Williams movie that came before it.
GOT was on HBO and we don't have it. I have always wanted to read the book series, but just never got around to it. I definitely have GOT on my watch list.
Plus, GOT author George R.R. Martin is a huge Giants fan! GOT should be required reading & watching on this forum!!

John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on September 04, 2020, 01:08:49 PM
I really liked both of the Jumanji movies. Action, adventure and laughs. So much better than the Robin Williams movie that came before it.
GOT was on HBO and we don't have it. I have always wanted to read the book series, but just never got around to it. I definitely have GOT on my watch list.
Plus, GOT author George R.R. Martin is a huge Giants fan! GOT should be required reading & watching on this forum!!

I forgot GOT was on HBO. Is that the only way to watch it now, or do some of the other streamers have it? I know they talked about getting onto a more regular cable outlet, but that would mean cutting out a lot of the violence and gore and all the sex and nudity and you wouldn't appreciate it as much. I remember starting to watch the Sopranos when they put it on some cable outlet, most of the nudity and cursing and violence was cut out that after I saw the original, I was wondering what I watched at the beginning.
GOT is available on DVD's probably at local libraries. That's how I watched a lot of if, then I was able to sort of get pirated streams an hour after it was originally aired, so I was pretty much up to date for the last 4 seasons or so.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I looked into GOT as well and found you must get HBO Max (I get an HBO add on, but not Max). 14.99 a month. If I could watch the entire series in a month, it might be worth it.

Earlier, someone was talking about Bruce Willis films. I am a huge fan, although some of his last stuff it's almost as if his part is cameo for the sole purpose of selling a flick (ex. "Hard Kill" where his name is emblazoned on the front of the flyer, yet has almost no serious role).

The best Willis film ever (IMHO) is "Red" and I've watched it so many times that I've committed it to memory. "Red 2" is really good, but doesn't top the first. Both are free on Amazon Prime and well worth watching. I'd give it 5 stars by my own rating system and 4 1/2 stars for Red 2.

Another great Willis film is "Bandits" which is free on Netflix.

I'm taking you guys word for it that GOT is worth it  :yes:  :ok:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 04, 2020, 04:27:57 PM
I looked into GOT as well and found you must get HBO Max (I get an HBO add on, but not Max). 14.99 a month. If I could watch the entire series in a month, it might be worth it.

Earlier, someone was talking about Bruce Willis films. I am a huge fan, although some of his last stuff it's almost as if his part is cameo for the sole purpose of selling a flick (ex. "Hard Kill" where his name is emblazoned on the front of the flyer, yet has almost no serious role).

The best Willis film ever (IMHO) is "Red" and I've watched it so many times that I've committed it to memory. "Red 2" is really good, but doesn't top the first. Both are free on Amazon Prime and well worth watching. I'd give it 5 stars by my own rating system and 4 1/2 stars for Red 2.

Another great Willis film is "Bandits" which is free on Netflix.

I'm taking you guys word for it that GOT is worth it  :yes:  :ok:

Since we don't know each other, but from what you said in a prior post, you like lots of action, blood and guts etc. GOT will suit you well. If you can get to a library (if any are open) most will have GOT in their video library. if so, try season 1 and see if it suits you.

Just a note on GOT. We here on BBH have followed The Walking Dead for each year it has been on. We have discussed it thoroughly here and most of us grew tired of the way the way it has been written and many of us, also grew to feel that they ignored characters for weeks, sometimes a month on end. They would sort of concentrate on certain characters each week, and you were left hanging about others, sometimes for weeks. What I always thought made GOT so good was there are many, many characters in the show, with many, many plots and subplots but almost every episide gave you a piece as to what is happening to almost every character and their doings. They made sure one knew what everyone was doing at all times.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Yesterday the second season of 'The Boys' dropped on Amazon Prime and I have been anticipating this for a while now. Has anyone else seen season 1 of 'The Boys'?
My son put me on to this great series and I watched it over one weekend.
If no one has seen it, a quick synopsis--This is a series about a group of 7 super heros who have formed a sort of league to work individually but together. The quirky part is that they are not all nice people and not all nice super heroes, they cheat, do lots of damage, even kill to further their own cause. The Boys, in the title are a sort of put together group of guys trying to take them down.
The series is funny, action and a small amount of gore (why I have no idea) but it's there, but it all works perectly and they are all enjoyable espisodes. As soon as I finish my current series, I will watch this. I would recommend this to all who love these Super Hero type movies as this is a great parody on them.

Charlie Weiss

philo43

Just started Cobra Kai last night - saw 2 episodes (I guess there are at least 2 seasons).  Karate Kid today - not sure about it yet. Has promise I think - recommended by my daughters boyfriend.