News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is the O line being ignored (left to chances) again?

Started by GloryDays, April 27, 2024, 01:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloryDays

I think this team just doesn't get it. The offense lives and dies through their line.
Just throwing bodies at it doesn't work. Other teams' leftovers is not the way to have a dominant O line.
Just look at the Steelers. Their O line was decent, check their draft!
Evan Neal is a bust, who is the RT we can rely on to stop the pressure on DJ from that edge? Are they really relying on Eluemunor or Cajuste?
Who is behind Schmitz? Even if he improves, who's backing him up, Morrissey?
This to me is weird.. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it. They are ignoring to address the line effectively, like they did last year too.

TONKA56

They are going to roll with Evan Neal again and already threw a bunch of bodies at the line via free agency. It is what it is. 🤷

londonblue

No. They signed five free agents and two likely start. They allocated assets in the draft in 2022 and assets in free agency in 2023. It is a sensible approach as veterans provide more space for the new OL coach to see if he can get more out of at least one of the 2022 guys.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Bob In PA

Quote from: GloryDays on April 27, 2024, 01:50:05 PMI think this team just doesn't get it. The offense lives and dies through their line.
Just throwing bodies at it doesn't work. Other teams' leftovers is not the way to have a dominant O line.
Evan Neal is a bust, who is the RT we can rely on to stop the pressure on DJ from that edge? Are they really relying on Eluemunor or Cajuste?
This to me is weird.. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it. They are ignoring to address the line effectively, like they did last year too.

GDays: IMO they have confidence in OL's they've drafted in prior years -or- they plan to catch a veteran cut this summer or on final cut-down-day -or- they think they can draft a guard some time today -or- all of the above. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: londonblue on April 27, 2024, 01:56:05 PMNo. They signed five free agents and two likely start. They allocated assets in the draft in 2022 and assets in free agency in 2023. It is a sensible approach as veterans provide more space for the new OL coach to see if he can get more out of at least one of the 2022 guys.

*5 OL signed in 2024 including a 30M dollar pass blocking LG and 7M/year RT/RG
*NYG #1 in NFL in resources allocated to OL in last 5 years
*New OL coach could be the biggest improvement as he effects all 5 players on the line

I would say no.....

MightyGiants

Free agent additions

OT MATT NELSON
OC/OG AUSTIN SCHLOTTMANN
OG AARON STINNIE
OL JERMAINE ELUEMUNOR
OG JON RUNYAN, JR
OC JIMMY MORRISSEY

The Giants can't draft offensive linemen to save their lives (Thomas being a notable exception), so maybe throwing a bunch of free agents at the problem...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 27, 2024, 02:00:13 PMFree agent additions

OT MATT NELSON
OC/OG AUSTIN SCHLOTTMANN
OG AARON STINNIE
OL JERMAINE ELUEMUNOR
OG JON RUNYAN, JR
OC JIMMY MORRISSEY

The Giants can't draft offensive linemen to save their lives (Thomas being a notable exception), so maybe throwing a bunch of free agents at the problem...

I have concerns about Thomas' ability to stay healthy. Let's hope it's unwarranted. 

Uncle Mickey

OT MATT NELSON
OC/OG AUSTIN SCHLOTTMANN
OG AARON STINNIE
OL JERMAINE ELUEMUNOR
OG JON RUNYAN, JR
OC JIMMY MORRISSEY

And finally an line coach that may be worth his NFL salary  :doh:

Ed Vette

At least it's a bunch of C+ guys instead of the D- to C- group they had the bring in. I did want a Guard in the Second Round but I guess they wanted to upgrade the McKless Unit.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

How is the O line being ignored? They replaced the O line coach with someone who, on paper at least, appears to be a clear upgrade. They signed one of the most expensive free agent guards on the open market. The brought in Jermaine Elumenor, who played RT at a roughly 70 PFF level for our new O line coach in Vegas last year and can also play guard, and they brought in a few other players. Plus we still have two more picks in this draft not to mention the potential to sign more free agents this summer.

I wouldn't call this ignoring the line at all.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: GloryDays on April 27, 2024, 01:50:05 PMI think this team just doesn't get it. The offense lives and dies through their line.

I dunno, I keep reading here that the line is going to be much improved this year.   /sarcasm/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Gotta let dudes develop. We can't keep drafting guys without giving the guys we already have time to flourish or fail.

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 27, 2024, 02:10:22 PMI dunno, I keep reading here that the line is going to be much improved this year.   /sarcasm/
So what part of the line do you not expect to be at least solid to good?

todge

OT MATT NELSON
OC/OG AUSTIN SCHLOTTMANN
OG AARON STINNIE
OL JERMAINE ELUEMUNOR
OG JON RUNYAN, JR
OC JIMMY MORRISSEY

Eluemunor started at right tackle for the Raiders and can play guard. Runyan is a solid starter at LG. Stinnie was a solid guard with Tampa until a knee injury in preseason ended his season. All three are pretty good linemen. Morrisey and Schlottman are backups with Matt Nelson the backup swing tackle.

Schoen's philosophy this year was to get proven players rather than rolling the dice on Draft picks. With the hard salary cap, teams have to make difficult decisions. Stinnie suffered an injury. I wouldn't classify these guys as "castoffs".

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2024, 02:13:31 PMGotta let dudes develop. We can't keep drafting guys without giving the guys we already have time to flourish or fail.

Excellent point.