News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daboll on setting the O-line

Started by MightyGiants, May 24, 2024, 11:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Here was Daboll comments about the O-line from yesterday's presser

Q. With a new coach and obviously you're looking at a new approach, have you changed anything with your approach to the offensive line in OTAs and going into training camp and how has Carm Bricillo's philosophy kind of meshed with the guys you have now?

BRIAN DABOLL: I think Carm and James (Ferentz) are doing really good job. Again, this is a teaching camp here. There's no roster spots that are going to be made based on what they do here. This is more learning how we're doing it, the communication aspect of it, but as a whole they have done a good job in the meeting room, out on the practice field, working well together, so try to build off that.

Q. Is this a time of year where you want to see guys in different spots, do you get to a point where you want to see kind of your guys develop into, okay, this is what we want, this is our right guard?

BRIAN DABOLL: Yeah, it's May right now, so we're trying to teach as many players different techniques. One time they might be guard, one time they might be tackle, you never know what we're going to need. We'll get to the depth chart much, much further down the road.

Q. Where are you starting Jon Runyon and Jermaine Eluemunor?

BRIAN DABOLL: Today, they're playing guards today.

Q. Do you have a specific side where you start Jon on or at least say, hey, you can kind of move from there?

BRIAN DABOLL: Today Jon is playing right guard, which is primarily where he has played so far up to this point. Eluemunor is playing left guard.

Q. Would you rather be in a position in August where you're not rotating guys in and out and you have a set five?

BRIAN DABOLL: Yeah, I think we'll take it as it comes. So we got a long time between now and August and once we go through training camp, we get through this phase three, we'll teach them the that stuff we're doing. There's obviously certain changes we're doing. They will have a chance with pads on to compete and then when we figure out what we think is the right five combination, whenever that is, that's when it is. Whether it's in the beginning of August and however it sorts out.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I am not sure how I feel about what he said.  What is there to teach Andrew Thomas?  Line him up at LT and get him reps.

Why bounce people around so much now?  Give them 1 position to become an expert then teach others later.

uconnjack8

Some fans have mentioned that Daboll may be calling plays this year and endorsed as his job may be on the line.  By the same token, if he feels Neal should be the RT, should he not be given the same approval?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 24, 2024, 01:34:01 PMSome fans have mentioned that Daboll may be calling plays this year and endorsed as his job may be on the line.  By the same token, if he feels Neal should be the RT, should he not be given the same approval?

I'm not as down on Neal as some.  He had injury issues, was adjusting to moving to the right side, and had a terrible position coach.  That's a lot for a young man to overcome.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 24, 2024, 01:41:34 PMI'm not as down on Neal as some.  He had injury issues, was adjusting to moving to the right side, and had a terrible position coach.  That's a lot for a young man to overcome.
Not to mention having mckethan or whatever warm body was next to him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 24, 2024, 01:41:34 PMI'm not as down on Neal as some.  He had injury issues, was adjusting to moving to the right side, and had a terrible position coach.  That's a lot for a young man to overcome.

There isn't a soul here who doesn't want Neal to succeed (and I understand that you weren't saying otherwise). I think where fans might differ from one another is on the subject of how much rope to give him if he is bad early in the upcoming season.

If it were your decision, how long would you be willing to tolerate more bad play from him before making a change, knowing you have Eleumenor right there and that Eleumenor has already played RT at a demonstrably solid level for an NFL team over a meaningful sample size?

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on May 24, 2024, 12:01:43 PMI am not sure how I feel about what he said.  What is there to teach Andrew Thomas?  Line him up at LT and get him reps.

Why bounce people around so much now?  Give them 1 position to become an expert then teach others later.

Phil: I think the answer is... because they're not sure about Neal and the new guys and want to give them all a shot at as many spots as they can reasonably handle. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 24, 2024, 02:09:08 PMIf it were your decision, how long would you be willing to tolerate more bad play from him before making a change

4 games. But they need to be dreadful

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 24, 2024, 02:09:08 PMThere isn't a soul here who doesn't want Neal to succeed (and I understand that you weren't saying otherwise). I think where fans might differ from one another is on the subject of how much rope to give him if he is bad early in the upcoming season.

If it were your decision, how long would you be willing to tolerate more bad play from him before making a change, knowing you have Eleumenor right there and that Eleumenor has already played RT at a demonstrably solid level for an NFL team over a meaningful sample size?

That's the thing, it's not my decision and I am unqualified to make that decision.  I just think that we, the fans, don't know anywhere near enough to judge whether his lack of success is due to him or the difficult situation he came into, having a bad coach and having to switch sides exacerbated by injury.  Hopefully the coaches do know enough, and I'm going to buy their judgement over fans on a fan forum - even fans on the best informed Giants' board.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll