News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is the O line being ignored (left to chances) again?

Started by GloryDays, April 27, 2024, 01:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Half the best OL players in the NFL were drafted (or undrafted altogether) on the third day

Some very good ones left...my favorite, Walter Rouse (OT/OG Penn St.). 6'5"/324...Smart, was going to become a surgeon before focusing on football. Best fit inside, but played a lot of tackle and could be swing tackle

Beaux Limmer (6'5"/310) is still on the board. He's played all the spots on the inside, but has been Arkansas' center the last year, taking over the spot when Ricky Stromberg was drafted last year
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

GloryDays

It comes down to team building philosophy and the ability to assess O line talent.

May be ignoring the line is the wrong word; they certainly have devoted a lot of valuable assets to it, but so far the efforts have had dismal results. Last year they ignored that they made a mistake and Neal is no good.. they ROLLED THE DICE, and they got snake eyes. My question is, are they rolling the dice again?
I brought up Pittsburgh as an example. PFF ranked their O line as the # 12 in the league.
Here is their picks through 4 rounds:

Round 1: No. 20-Troy Fautanu, G, Washington
Round 2: No. 51- Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
Round 3: No. 84-Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
Round 3: No. 98 (Compensatory - from PHI)-Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina State
Round 4: No. 119-Mason McCormick, G, South Dakota State

Are they stupid?!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: GloryDays on April 27, 2024, 02:52:09 PMIt comes down to team building philosophy and the ability to assess O line talent.

May be ignoring the line is the wrong word; they certainly have devoted a lot of valuable assets to it, but so far the efforts have had dismal results. Last year they ignored that they made a mistake and Neal is no good.. they ROLLED THE DICE, and they got snake eyes. My question is, are they rolling the dice again?
I brought up Pittsburgh as an example. PFF ranked their O line as the # 12 in the league.

Round 3: No. 98 (Compensatory - from PHI)-Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina State

Are they stupid?!

Probably not. They plan on having another Iron Curtain for the next decade. Picking up Payton Wilson will be an exciting player to watch. They are going to fall in love with him
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GloryDays on April 27, 2024, 02:52:09 PMIt comes down to team building philosophy and the ability to assess O line talent.

Are they stupid?!

Of course not, but you can't just pull up one team from one year and look at their draft picks through four rounds and then say because we're not doing what they're doing we're ignoring the line. How many times have they drafted O linemen in the first four rounds over the last six years? How many have we? If we're going to do comparisons we should probably do more than just look at two days of roster management work.

The Giants have done a very poor job at improving their O line over the past decade. Nobody is denying that. I would suggest that the problems run deeper than just continuing to throw as many draft picks at the problem as possible. We have kind of already tried that. Scouting, player development, traiing/medical, and coaching matter too. Maybe we're not looking at the problem holistically enough. I can almost guarantee you the Steelers are much better than us at all those other things I listed.

StompYouOT

They have sunk how many high picks on OL?? And signed a bunch of guys. And added a new coach. They are addressing it.

Maybe if they had a QB with pocket awareness who could read defenses and run an offense there wouldn't be so many sacks. The OL should be improved, they need help too, not always the other way around.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 27, 2024, 02:57:06 PMProbably not. They plan on having another Iron Curtain for the next decade. Picking up Payton Wilson will be an exciting player to watch. They are going to fall in love with him

Is there new ownership in Pittsburgh that's communist?

GloryDays

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 27, 2024, 02:58:33 PMOf course not, but you can't just pull up one team from one year and look at their draft picks through four rounds and then say because we're not doing what they're doing we're ignoring the line. How many times have they drafted O linemen in the first four rounds over the last six years? How many have we? If we're going to do comparisons we should probably do more than just look at two days of roster management work.

The Giants have done a very poor job at improving their O line over the past decade. Nobody is denying that. I would suggest that the problems run deeper than just continuing to throw as many draft picks at the problem as possible. We have kind of already tried that. Scouting, player development, traiing/medical, and coaching matter too. Maybe we're not looking at the problem holistically enough. I can almost guarantee you the Steelers are much better than us at all those other things I listed.

Yes, the problem that they seem to have not addressed, except may be for the new O line coach, is their scouting and O line talent assessment.. by now it should have been clear to Schoen that they suck in that area.
We have what 13 linemen on the roster? No other team would want 10 of those!

Giant Jim

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2024, 02:16:31 PMSo what part of the line do you not expect to be at least solid to good?
One guard, RT and back ups.

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: GloryDays on April 27, 2024, 03:20:54 PMYes, the problem that they seem to have not addressed, except may be for the new O line coach, is their scouting and O line talent assessment.. by now it should have been clear to Schoen that they suck in that area.
We have what 13 linemen on the roster? No other team would want 10 of those!

I mean we don't know that. Bobby Johnson may have been the bigger issue. Wait and see what talent looks like when it's properly coached.

spiderblue43

Well..they are counting on the new OL coach apparently to salvage Neal. That is sketchy, at best.

Giant Jim

Quote from: StompYouOT on April 27, 2024, 03:03:21 PMThey have sunk how many high picks on OL?? And signed a bunch of guys. And added a new coach. They are addressing it.

Maybe if they had a QB with pocket awareness who could read defenses and run an offense there wouldn't be so many sacks. The OL should be improved, they need help too, not always the other way around.
Maybe if they had a decent line and our QB had a pocket, we'd know if he had pocket awareness.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2024, 02:16:31 PMSo what part of the line do you not expect to be at least solid to good?

I need to see it before I believe it.  We've been sold this bill of goods many times since 2012.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

GloryDays

Giant Jim

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 27, 2024, 03:25:50 PMI mean we don't know that. Bobby Johnson may have been the bigger issue. Wait and see what talent looks like when it's properly coached.
How many O line coaches have they had over the last 12 years? All of a sudden it's the position coach's fault.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Giant Jim on April 27, 2024, 03:35:12 PMHow many O line coaches have they had over the last 12 years? All of a sudden it's the position coach's fault.
Well Feliciano just had an elite season ala 81.2 pff this year after looking just meh as a Giant in 2022.