News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

At this point should the Giants just cut Darren Waller?

Started by MightyGiants, April 30, 2024, 12:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

If he is cut or retires, the Giants would free up $6,707,500 in cap space.  That money could be used to add a veteran or two or even just be rolled over to the next season.   

In light of drafting Theo Johnson, is there any reason that the Giants should allow Waller more time to decide if he wants to continue to play football?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 12:39:05 PMIf he is cut or retires, the Giants would free up $6,707,500 in cap space.  That money could be used to add a veteran or two or even just be rolled over to the next season.   

In light of drafting Theo Johnson, is there any reason that the Giants should allow Waller more time to decide if he wants to continue to play football?

It is an interesting proposition, and I guess time will tell

Puffy

T200

Why the rush? Games don't start until September.

There is a human element in this game called football. If Schoen is good with letting Waller figure out his future, I'm fine. It ain't costing me anything to let him figure out what he wants to do.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 12:39:05 PMIf he is cut or retires, the Giants would free up $6,707,500 in cap space.  That money could be used to add a veteran or two or even just be rolled over to the next season.   

I've been ready for them to cut him ever since his Hamlet-esque posture emerged, so my answer is obvious.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on April 30, 2024, 01:28:31 PMWhy the rush? Games don't start until September.

There is a human element in this game called football. If Schoen is good with letting Waller figure out his future, I'm fine. It ain't costing me anything to let him figure out what he wants to do.

Starting yesterday at 4 pm, veteran signings no longer impact the comp pick formula.  The Giants seem to be in line for a possible 4th round comp pick.  So if the Giants want to use that money to sign a veteran or two (before another team does)...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I also said Yes when this whole "will he, Won't he" drama started.
He's not that big of a cog in the Giants wheel in my opinion. Definitely a replaceable part.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

babywhales

Waller's gutless, uninspired brand of football is not what the team needs. 

Paying 14 mill for what little he brings to the table I think is a huge waste. 

I suspect they will cut him post June 1 so only 1.9 mill will hit this year and 5.9 next year. 

It was a nice try but a swing and miss
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

madbadger

He's the best tight end on the roster and it isn't close. If we're looking to free up money who would it be for, and would they do more to help us win next year than Walker if he plays? Or are you thinking about next years draft picks and are hoping we start ejecting dead "weight" in preparation for next year.

Jolly Blue Giant

We have the summer to see if he has his head in the game after his unfortunate divorce. If he's healthy and wants to still play, we'd be fools to cut him. I see him as a mentor to Theo if he stays
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Trench

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 30, 2024, 03:20:54 PMWe have the summer to see if he has his head in the game after his unfortunate divorce. If he's healthy and wants to still play, we'd be fools to cut him. I see him as a mentor to Theo if he stays

Excellent point.

I'd also add we have Bellinger who should have a bounce back year

londonblue

The reason to do it is because we think we can use the available cap from a post 1 June designation more productively. Personally I think that is highly likely to be true.

The reason not to do it is that as a responsible employer you need to be cogniscent of the mental and emotional well being of your employee who has a history of depression and is already going through significant personal upheaval.

I suspect this more than any real optimism on any future contribution he might make is why we have been patient and will continue to be so. Better to let him reach his own decision with whatever support he needs.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

H-Town G-Fan

Waller was top-10 in TE YPG. He's still an effective weapon, despite arguments that the Giants have no receivers. If he needs more time to decide (within reason), let him have it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 30, 2024, 03:28:26 PMWaller was top-10 in TE YPG. He's still an effective weapon, despite arguments that the Giants have no receivers. If he needs more time to decide (within reason), let him have it.

How much of a difference do you think Waller's 46 yards per game made?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 03:35:28 PMHow much of a difference do you think Waller's 46 yards per game made?

Agreed.

Stats don't always show the true story.