News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The best I can discern of the Giants draft intentions

Started by MightyGiants, April 23, 2024, 09:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA56

Quote from: coggs on April 24, 2024, 07:08:57 PMI am aware.  Few teams have, which is why I think if one of these guys fit that, they would do whatever they can to try to get him.

Many teams spend decades chasing that player. Despite the rhetoric about continuing to draft quarterbacks until you find him and all of the talk about how the game has changed and its a quarterback driven passing league, the old paradigm remains in place where a regime really only gets to push the reset button once before the head coach gets fired, and the gm gets to push the reset button once on the head coach before he himself gets fired. 

kingm56

I believe this paradigm is somewhat outdated; a lot depends on the HC's credibly and past successes.  For example, if a HC wins CoY, or a SB, they'll be given more opportunities to press the QB reset button.  The rookie salary cap has also made it dramatically easier to move on from drafted QBs; it's no longer takes 5-years to recover from a poor QB draft decision. 

For a few example, McVay will  hit the reset button very soon to replace Stafford (injury/age).  Does anyone believe his job is in jeopardy? It wasn't when he hit the reset button from Goff to Stafford.  It's likely he'll need to hit the reset button 3x in 6 years.  Mike Tomlin hit the reset button on Kenny Pickens after one year, and only "solved" the issue for one season...he'll have to address it again next year.  Is his job in jeopardy? Shanahan hit the QB reset button 3x, going from Garoppolo-to-Lance-to-Purdy; his job was never in jeopardy. 

Philosophers

I truly believe that fans are focused on the all the mock drafts, media pundits, etc., and the teams are paying a lot of attention to the interviews, time with a prospect watching video together and breaking down film, etc., and being observational as to leadership skills.  This is where I think JJ is distancing himself from Maye.  Unless a team jumps the Giants and drafts JJ, I believe he is going to be a Giant at 6.

DJ has looked "shocked" at being an NFL QB.  He works tirelessly but the stage looks too big for him.  JJ is going to embrace being an NFL QB and his teammates are going rally around him.

TONKA56

Quote from: kingm56 on April 25, 2024, 08:13:40 AMI believe this paradigm is somewhat outdated; a lot depends on the HC's credibly and past successes.  For example, if a HC wins CoY, or a SB, they'll be given more opportunities to press the QB reset button.  The rookie salary cap has also made it dramatically easier to move on from drafted QBs; it's no longer takes 5-years to recover from a poor QB draft decision. 

For a few example, McVay will  hit the reset button very soon to replace Stafford (injury/age).  Does anyone believe his job is in jeopardy? It wasn't when he hit the reset button from Goff to Stafford.  It's likely he'll need to hit the reset button 3x in 6 years.  Mike Tomlin hit the reset button on Kenny Pickens after one year, and only "solved" the issue for one season...he'll have to address it again next year.  Is his job in jeopardy? Shanahan hit the QB reset button 3x, going from Garoppolo-to-Lance-to-Purdy; his job was never in jeopardy. 

Of course there's going to be exceptions.

kingm56

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 25, 2024, 08:42:36 AMOf course there's going to be exceptions.

Fair enough, my friend.  I think we're a lot of teams fail is drafting the wrong guy after hitting the reset button.  NYJ come to mind.  Otherwise, your good point is well taken.

TONKA56

Quote from: kingm56 on April 25, 2024, 08:57:56 AMFair enough, my friend.  I think we're a lot of teams fail is drafting the wrong guy after hitting the reset button.  NYJ come to mind.  Otherwise, your good point is well taken.

Or sometimes the guy just can't stay healthy. 🤷

Jclayton92

If you find a good enough coach they'll get plenty of chances. Tomlins got to hit reset a few times now.