News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

We checked out this new show "Super Pumped" last night. It's a new series all about Uber and how the company was started. There is only one episode out so far. I thought it was just fair. It felt like it was trying to be the Social Network in the way it is shot and presented, but it wasn't nearly that good. The script is a C so far. The main actor who plays Travis Kalanick is also just fair in my opinion. Will give it another couple of episodes but if it doesn't get better quickly we'll probably move on.

There are just way too many good options out there to ever watch something that is anything less than excellent.

Sem

Quote from: LennG on February 20, 2022, 12:22:55 PM
A good friend told me about another newer series on Netflix, "The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window"  and I am almost finished with it.

Each episode is only 1/2 an hour so watching this, it really flies by, but overall, I have found it interesting. On reading the synopsis, I thought more of a Rear Window type of thing, but it is much more light-hearted and still compelling. It is quite worthy of a binge-watch.
(I thought it would be something I could watch with my wife, but she didn't want to, but overall, after watching what I already have, she would have liked it--no blood, no scares, but alas, she missed out on this charming show).

Quote from: Sem on February 20, 2022, 12:28:13 PM
This one keeps popping up as "recommended" whenever I turn on Netflix. I may give it a try.

Quote from: LennG on February 20, 2022, 01:03:08 PM
It's just an 'easy' watch, Steve. Ms. Bell is quite enjoyable to watch, anytime.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Finally started watching this tonight. Two episodes in and enjoying it.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on March 06, 2022, 11:21:13 PM
Finally started watching this tonight. Two episodes in and enjoying it.

Steve

A very easy watch with each episode only 1/2 hour.  You can finish it in no time. Let me know what you think?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

An update on some of the things I am watching

My wife and I are heavily involved with the new Lost In Space on Netflix. We have now finished season 2 and as of now, it is pretty good. I don't know the history of this show but I would guess it started on TV with commercials as there are definite spots where you can see where they would be. Plus, each episode is 45 minutes long, leaving 15 minutes for commercials. That said, because of where it was made or shown, the lead characters are always in trouble, life-threatening trouble, space trouble but you know nothing is going to happen to them. For me, that is a bummer. Not that I wish evil on any character, but knowing they will always come out on top sort of takes the suspense out of many of these so-called problems. But again, overall, a decent enough watch.

Reacher--I have finished the 1st season run and enjoyed it very much. The dude that plays Reacher is pretty good and knows his character very well. My one problem with this is that in the first couple of episodes, Reacher is in fights with 3,4, and 5 guys and barely works up a sweat, but later on he fights a couple of the main baddies, and at one point, gets his ass whupped for a while. Just didn't seem pausable to me considering how he fought early on. But that is a minor point and I will definitely watch any future seasons.

Vikings  Valhalla--- My favorite show so far. As I wrote in my first post on this, I was a HUGE fan of the Vikings series on History and then on Prime, I think. This type of show is really in my wheelhouse. As I said before, you do not have had to see the original Vikings to watch this, as nothing, except references to the old people, are ever mentioned. This series stands on its own. I thoroughly enjoyed this series--good writing, lots of action, and much-underhanded trickery. Great battle scene in the final episode. If you are into this sort of stuff, you will enjoy this series, I did very much.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

My wife and I watched episode 1 of "Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers' Dynasty" last night. We both thought it was great. Very entertaining and very well shot. Did a very nice job of capturing the zeitgeist of the times (late 70s/early 80s). Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqbWwKx1nBU

Based on episode 1, I definitely recommend this one. Looks great so far.

LennG

As I said in a prior post, we finished up several series, except we need to watch the last season of Lost in Space.

So now e are actively going for a couple of more well-known stuff.
Again, as I said, we just got Disney+ and that gives us the Mandelorian, from what I have heard, an excellent adventure series that I am sure both myself and my darling wife will enjoy.

Also, Prime dropped (finally) the next chapter in the life of Mrs. Maisel and we can't wait to start on this. If you have never seen The Adventures of Mrs. Maisel, it is a truly great comedy series about a mother who decides she wants to become a stand-up comic. It takes place in the late 50-w early 60s and if anyone lived thru that period, this series will bring back many memories. Just a great cast, great writing, and the performance by Rachel Brosnahan as Miriam 'Midge' Maisel is really terrific.

One other series that has also just dropped after much anticipation is The Last Kingdom https://www.netflix.com/title/80074249. This is the 5th season of this adventure show and I loved it. It is sort of on the level of the Vikings as they play a huge part in the series, but they are the 'bad' guys here, as they try to invade England, and Alfred The Great is there to defend England, along with our star, who was a Viking but is now a sort of Free Agent. Packed with action and suspense. I will start watching this new season tomorrow.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Lenn. I'm not a real big star wars fan but I did enjoy the mandelorion. A good stand alone adventure.

Bill

""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Sem

Quote from: LennG on March 07, 2022, 09:59:41 PM
Steve

A very easy watch with each episode only 1/2 hour.  You can finish it in no time. Let me know what you think?

I finished it a couple nights ago. I'm not sure what to think about this one. I kind of feel as though I've been scammed.

ozzie

I just finished "The Woman in the House...." last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it! It moved at a good quick pace and never took itself too seriously.
The last episode or two did keep me guessing a bit and held a few surprises. A very fun watch for me!

I also watched the premiere of the new Ryan Reynolds flick on Netflix last night - The Adam Project.
A good, fun, family movie. There is a little bit of language in it, but nothing too shocking.
Reynolds plays a pilot from the year 2050 who, by trying to escape some baddies chasing him, enters the wrong worm hole and winds up here in 2022 meeting his 12 year old self. The two "Adams" have to work together to set things right and along the way come to terms with the death of their father.
It has action, time travel & sci-fi elements along with quite a few laughs. The end, of course, is a bit heart wrenching / warming.
Reynolds stays true to the dead pan wise cracking character he always seems to play and the 12 year old actor keeps up with him quip for quip. I thought the casting was a very good choice. Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo & Zoe Saldana are also in it.
A fun movie I definitely recommend.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

We were looking for that last night as it sounded like something my wife and I would enjoy. For whatever reason, we found a new sort of docudrama Lucy and Desi so we watched that instead.

This is a sort of documentary about Lucy and Desi, how they met, dated, married and divorced with all the good stuff in between, They are the attraction and it is loaded with clips from the TV show and their personal lives, with plenty of other people lending their opinions. While I knew most of their life story this did add a few things I didn't know.
If you are a fan of Lucy and Desi and who really isn't, it is a decent enough watch. What I didn't like was they sort of omitted several pretty important things, like Desi was a huge womanizer which was NEVER mentioned, the battle to get Desi on the TV show in the first place. It was sort of just mentioned but no big deal, and it was a big deal.

Again, if you are a Lucy fan, you will enjoy this.

Adam Project is next.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

You know Lou, we usually agree on so much, most things in fact, but The Adam Project isn't one of them. We watched it last night I found it silly, a bit confusing, and almost dozed off a couple of times. Yes, the actors were fine, good, as a matter of fact, but the entire premise was so ridiculous to me, I was just never able to get past that aspect.
My wife did enjoy it a lot more than I did if that means anything.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Nothing wrong with disagreeing. Not everyone likes the same things and there's no harm in that.  ;)
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

GordonGekko80

Not sure we have guys who are into Formula 1... But I have just finished DRIVE TO SURVIVE Season 4 on Netflix.

A documentary about one of the best and tightest Formula 1 seasons ever.

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on March 15, 2022, 03:24:16 AM
Not sure we have guys who are into Formula 1... But I have just finished DRIVE TO SURVIVE Season 4 on Netflix.

A documentary about one of the best and tightest Formula 1 seasons ever.

Not really my thing.

We have now started the 4th season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and it is as good as it has ever been. We had to watch a few episodes from season 3 just to remember where we were and now we are on our way with the wonderful Mrs. M. If you have never tried this series, it is funny, poignant and just a joy to watch.
Just a brief description. Midge (Mrs. Maisel) is happily married and mother of 2. her husband secretly wants to be a comedian and is horrible, but his wife tries and she is good at it. So we follow Midge and her weird manager thru the late 50s and now 1960 NY trying to make a career for herself, amid her parents, her soon-to-be divorce, future suitors, and her just crazy parents, especially Tony Shaloub as her father. Highly recommended.

Charlie Weiss

gregf

Quote from: LennG on March 08, 2022, 01:32:12 PM
An update on some of the things I am watching

My wife and I are heavily involved with the new Lost In Space on Netflix. We have now finished season 2 and as of now, it is pretty good. I don't know the history of this show but I would guess it started on TV with commercials as there are definite spots where you can see where they would be. Plus, each episode is 45 minutes long, leaving 15 minutes for commercials. That said, because of where it was made or shown, the lead characters are always in trouble, life-threatening trouble, space trouble but you know nothing is going to happen to them. For me, that is a bummer. Not that I wish evil on any character, but knowing they will always come out on top sort of takes the suspense out of many of these so-called problems. But again, overall, a decent enough watch.

Reacher--I have finished the 1st season run and enjoyed it very much. The dude that plays Reacher is pretty good and knows his character very well. My one problem with this is that in the first couple of episodes, Reacher is in fights with 3,4, and 5 guys and barely works up a sweat, but later on he fights a couple of the main baddies, and at one point, gets his ass whupped for a while. Just didn't seem pausable to me considering how he fought early on. But that is a minor point and I will definitely watch any future seasons.

Vikings  Valhalla--- My favorite show so far. As I wrote in my first post on this, I was a HUGE fan of the Vikings series on History and then on Prime, I think. This type of show is really in my wheelhouse. As I said before, you do not have had to see the original Vikings to watch this, as nothing, except references to the old people, are ever mentioned. This series stands on its own. I thoroughly enjoyed this series--good writing, lots of action, and much-underhanded trickery. Great battle scene in the final episode. If you are into this sort of stuff, you will enjoy this series, I did very much.
Hey Lenn. I can read front porch now on taptalk.   I loved Reacher. You mentioned Valhalla. Have you watched Lost Kingdom?  I just finished last season, real good stuff for Vikiings fans. 

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk