News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

We are saddened to hear of the passing of Korey Cunningham.

Started by MightyGiants, April 26, 2024, 09:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

DEVELOPING: Former NY Giants NFL Player Korey Cunningham Found Dead in New Jersey Home

https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/developing-former-ny-giants-nfl-player-korey-cunningham-found-dead-new-jersey-home

RLS Media was informed by law enforcement sources that Cunningham's death was self-inflicted.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Justin Pugh
@JustinPugh
I was in Arizona when we drafted Korey Cunnigham in 2018. He moved onto the NY Giants and was living in NJ this past year.

Quick story:
We would invite him to the OL dinner every week even though he wasn't on the team which doesn't happen...ever. Team dinners are for players on the team only. Except for Korey....solely because he was beloved by all the guys regardless if you knew him or not! He'd tell stories and we'd laugh our asses off all night.

Today is a sad day but I'll always remember the good times and the laughs. Everyone who knew Korey Cunnigham was better for it. The world lost a great soul.
10:07 AM · Apr 26, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Putting football aside, Darren Waller is a great ambassador for mental health. It was poignant to hear him talk about his struggles after the tragedy with Korey Cunningham.

"God, he was a good dude," Waller said. "It's so sad. Just a great personality. But you never know what people have going on behind all that. That hit him me. It was tough to hear."
12:30 PM · Apr 26, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

When I read stories about young athletes passing it's always incredibly sad. I hope for his family's sake that it was of natural causes. Losing someone that young is soul crushing to loved ones. Losing someone that young to drugs or suicide is it's own special type of hell.

kartanoman

"A great guy and teammate."

"He was a vital part of the spirit and camaraderie of the locker room."

"... he was beloved by all the guys regardless of if you knew him or not! He'd tell stories and we'd laugh our asses off all night."

"Everyone who knew Korey Cunnigham was better for it."

"The world lost a great soul."

"God, he was a good dude."

It's sad to learn of a tragedy, such as Korey. But I often wonder about what Darren also mentioned:

"But you never know what people have going on behind all that."

Please forgive me, but I cannot help but ask, why not? If he is everything you all said he was above, and none of you took him in as a close friend, why not?

Were there any signs, obvious or subtle, that might have indicated something was off with Korey? Did any of them visit his place to check up on him, or visit him? If so, did anything in his home seem odd or off?

It's too late now. Losing a friend to suicide is a mind-numbing experience in that you never truly achieve closure on your grief. Perhaps, it gets compartmentalized, but it rarely, if ever, completes its course. So many questions left without answers; so frustrating!

My thoughts and prayers are with Korey's family and friends during this very difficult time.

Korey, may your spirit find the light and, with it, the eternal love and peace of our Creator.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)