News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Non QB 1st round targets

Started by B1GBLUE, October 31, 2023, 01:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2023, 02:59:06 PMI have no problem taking a guy who played RT in college, but given Mad's point let's maybe not use a high first rounder on that.
JC Latham from Alabama is a true RT

Philosophers

The 2024 NFL Draft is a bit of a strange one.  Currently, I think the top 10 picks appear to be weighted toward offense instead of defense.  Additionally, I believe the top 10 is particularly weak at Edge/DL.  The only Edge/DE player I have watched who seems to merit potential top 10 consideration is Jared Verse of FSU.  I liked him when I saw him.  He plays very physical with good athleticism.  Verse is only 6'4" 250 pounds so I do not see him projecting to play DT to replace Leonard Williams.  He would be inserted to replace Ojulari if they take him.  I think the greater need would be at DT, but I simply don't see one as a worthy top 10 pick.

My guess is the Giants will look to offense in round 1 given the lack of top shelf defensive players who might get picked in top 10.  If they don't go QB, then I think round 1 is likely to be a WR either Marvin Harrison if he is available or Keon Coleman.  Both would look really good in blue.  Pencil in either as a starting X.  While Neal has been subpar this season, I just can't see them investing in another OT with a top 10 pick.

Assuming the Giants finish with a top 4-6 pick and given the strengths of the 2024 Draft by position, I think it is going to be pretty easy to narrow the list of potential targets for the Giants.     

sooners56

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 04:53:07 PMThat post came out sort-of "sideways" because it sounds like you wouldn't want him in the 2nd round, for example (which I know is untrue) when you're really trying to say taking him rather than a player (or position) you like better in the 1st round would in your opinion be a tragic blunder.  Bob
Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 04:53:07 PMThat post came out sort-of "sideways" because it sounds like you wouldn't want him in the 2nd round, for example (which I know is untrue) when you're really trying to say taking him rather than a player (or position) you like better in the 1st round would in your opinion be a tragic blunder.  Bob

Exactly! Bowers is very talented but the Giants will be drafting to high in the first round to select a TE as TE just isn't a position that would help enough to get the Giants on a winning track. QB, WR Rusher is where the Giants need to look in the first, imo.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Bob In PA

Quote from: sooners56 on November 01, 2023, 12:24:55 PMExactly! Bowers is very talented but the Giants will be drafting to high in the first round to select a TE as TE just isn't a position that would help enough to get the Giants on a winning track. QB, WR Rusher is where the Giants need to look in the first, imo.
Quote from: sooners56 on November 01, 2023, 12:24:55 PMExactly! Bowers is very talented but the Giants will be drafting to high in the first round to select a TE as TE just isn't a position that would help enough to get the Giants on a winning track. QB, WR Rusher is where the Giants need to look in the first, imo.
sooners: Agree 100 percent on all of that, with one possible exception. QB's are a "class" in themselves and I would not even want a QB in the 3rd unless Schoen/Daboll see him as needing a year to get his feet on the ground. When you go for a guy in the high first round you usually get him on the field no later than mid-season of his rookie year. IMO Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on November 01, 2023, 09:00:35 AMThe 2024 NFL Draft is a bit of a strange one.  Currently, I think the top 10 picks appear to be weighted toward offense instead of defense.  Additionally, I believe the top 10 is particularly weak at Edge/DL.  The only Edge/DE player I have watched who seems to merit potential top 10 consideration is Jared Verse of FSU.  I liked him when I saw him.  He plays very physical with good athleticism.  Verse is only 6'4" 250 pounds so I do not see him projecting to play DT to replace Leonard Williams.  He would be inserted to replace Ojulari if they take him.  I think the greater need would be at DT, but I simply don't see one as a worthy top 10 pick.

My guess is the Giants will look to offense in round 1 given the lack of top shelf defensive players who might get picked in top 10.  If they don't go QB, then I think round 1 is likely to be a WR either Marvin Harrison if he is available or Keon Coleman.  Both would look really good in blue.  Pencil in either as a starting X.  While Neal has been subpar this season, I just can't see them investing in another OT with a top 10 pick.

Assuming the Giants finish with a top 4-6 pick and given the strengths of the 2024 Draft by position, I think it is going to be pretty easy to narrow the list of potential targets for the Giants.     
Have you watched Laiatu Latu from UCLA? Kid is a monster and unblockable, he lines up all over the line and at linebacker 6'4 265lb he's going to be a guy in the pros that wrecks games.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 01, 2023, 01:38:51 PMHave you watched Laiatu Latu from UCLA? Kid is a monster and unblockable, he lines up all over the line and at linebacker 6'4 265lb he's going to be a guy in the pros that wrecks games.
J: That's what they said about Lawrence Taylor. Is he possibly that good? I only saw one UCLA game so far. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 01, 2023, 01:49:43 PMJ: That's what they said about Lawrence Taylor. Is he possibly that good? I only saw one UCLA game so far. Bob
Nah I mean I wouldn't say LT but he's getting better year on year. 10 sacks last year and he's on pace for 15-16 this year

Jclayton92

Also @Philosophers watch out for Taliese Fuaga the RT from Oregon St. I think he's RT1 and that he'll soar up draft boards to be one of the top lineman in this draft class.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 01, 2023, 01:38:51 PMHave you watched Laiatu Latu from UCLA? Kid is a monster and unblockable, he lines up all over the line and at linebacker 6'4 265lb he's going to be a guy in the pros that wrecks games.

Jess - I have not seen him play.  I've seen good press on him.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on October 31, 2023, 07:22:04 PMCould not disagree more. This is probably the best QB class since 2004. Caleb and Maye are fantastic. McCarthy and Daniels are very intriguing. And then there are other guys too. It is a great group.

then we shouldnt have to trade up to get one, right?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Philosophers on November 01, 2023, 09:00:35 AMThe 2024 NFL Draft is a bit of a strange one.  Currently, I think the top 10 picks appear to be weighted toward offense instead of defense.  Additionally, I believe the top 10 is particularly weak at Edge/DL.  The only Edge/DE player I have watched who seems to merit potential top 10 consideration is Jared Verse of FSU.  I liked him when I saw him.  He plays very physical with good athleticism.  Verse is only 6'4" 250 pounds so I do not see him projecting to play DT to replace Leonard Williams.  He would be inserted to replace Ojulari if they take him.  I think the greater need would be at DT, but I simply don't see one as a worthy top 10 pick.

it would be absolutely brutal and probably the coup de grace if schoen picks another tackle that winds up being a bust. at least at another position, it is what it is.

Jclayton92

I can't say this is the best Qb class in 25 years because that honor goes to 2004 but this class can easily be equal or better than 2020 which in my opinion is the 2nd best class in 25 years. As a refresher 2020 had Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Hurts, and Love. I think this current class is not only deeper but even more top heavy than 2020 with the real possibility that a couple 2nd/3rd round guys could develop into guys

Philosophers

I think if the Giants want a QB in 2024, they should not take a Browning Nagle 2nd round draft approach, but instead identify their guy in round 1 and go after him.  Your QB lasts 12+ years so giving up a draft pick or two is inconsequential if he works out.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on November 03, 2023, 09:53:02 PMI think if the Giants want a QB in 2024, they should not take a Browning Nagle 2nd round draft approach, but instead identify their guy in round 1 and go after him.  Your QB lasts 12+ years so giving up a draft pick or two is inconsequential if he works out.

I completely agree. If they have a first round QB they have a strong view on, they should do absolutely whatever it takes to get him. I will have no problem giving up a boat load to move up to get a guy that Schoen and company strongly believe is the guy.

Getting your Joe Burrow or Josh Allen is worth 10 first rounders. So to give up a couple if they think that's what they're getting is more than worth it to me.

Dgoodmantrublu