News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

**Members Profiles**- Post a little about yourself (now with complete list)

Started by MightyGiants, August 29, 2007, 11:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder

Quote from: spiderblue43 on August 14, 2009, 07:51:27 PM
Spyder,

Were we separated at birth? Very similar backgrounds. Timelines. Team favorites. And usernames. My username is also a tribute to Carl "Spider" Lockhart. Welcome aboard!!! How many spideys can this website take, I ask you (spider68, me)?  :yes:

Cool spiderblue43.  8))  We "spiders" should combine our special powers to make sure the Giants win Super Bowl 44.... :yes:

The Chief

My wife and I retired in 1997 and moved from CT to FL the following year.  We maintain a home in Las Vegas where our daughter and her fiance live and whom we visit 6-7 times a year.

I'm 65 and have been a fan since the mid fifties when the local CBS affiliate began broadcasting the games.  Attended my first game at the Yale Bowl where I went to each Giants/Jets preseason game and one regular season game....the season-ending game against the Vikes, the same day OJ broke the 2,000 yard rushing barrier.  Worst days were the '70's.

I've attended about twenty games at Giant Stadium since, mostly as part of a group from the AOL Giants message board.

As I said earlier, we're retired, me from a CFO position and my bride as a teacher.

We like to travel, cruise mostly, gamble (slots for my bride and poker for me.  I also like to garden and love cruising with my all-black restored '70 Mustang Mach 1.

My favorite Giant is George Martin, a real man.

LennG

Welcome aboard Chief. Myself, I am 63 so we are from the same generation. I became a die hard when my beloved Dodgers, up and left us, after that, it was always and still is always, Giants.

I also loved to cruise. We try for (hopefully) one a year, as my wife is still working (for the NYC school system). We just got back from a Baltic cruise on the Jewel a few days ago.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

WELL, FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH:

I'm 77 and have been a Giant fan since 1946.  However, my first remembrance of the Giants was on Dec 7, 1941.  My family (we lived in Valley Stream  LI) were visting relatives in Woodside, Queens.  My brother & cousin were listening to the Giant/Dodger before they went into the Garden to watch the New York Americans in an NHL game.  I was playing a board game of some kind with another cousin when the network broke into the broadcast to announce the Pearl Harbor attack.  It took me another five years to pick up on the NY Football Giants.  I had first been a NY Baseball Giant fan.

I've attended Giant games in the Polo Grounds, Yankee Stadium & Giants Stadium.  I've been going to Giant games AT LEAST once a year since 1986.  Prior to that, it was fewer because of my youth, my career and my living away.

I graduated from St. John's in 1953 with a degree in Math; went directly into the USAF; trained at NYU in meteorology from '53 - '54 serving on active duty at MacDill AFB, Tampa (with several overseas trips) until '57; stayed in the active Reserve until retiring in '85.  In '57 I began working at Con Ed in their newly formed computer department.   In '59, I joined the  National Weather Service, working at Idlewild (soon to become JFK Airport); transferred to Burlington VT in as the Chief Meterologist; then came over to Portland ME (living in Gorham ME).  I retired in 1990 and still live here in Gorham.  (I LOVE IT IN ME!)

My wife, Marie, & I will celebrate out 55th anniversary tomorrow (the 11th).  As a maatter of fact, we were married in the middle of Hurricane Edna, a storm big enough that' its name has been retired.

I hope I haven't bored you all.

Oh yes, I consider Frank Gifford as "Mr.Giant."  MY two favorite players are Harry Carson & Phil Simms.

Sam56

jimv,

Giff has always been my favorite Giant. I'm 67 and started following the Giants a couple of years after I started following the Yankees (although I was born in Brooklyn, raised in  Queens and than about age 12 moved to Nassau County).

Started following the Giants in 49 or 50. Giff became a Giant in 52 and in 56 when I was 14 we were NFL Champions and he was NFL MVP.

So The Mick and Giff were my two favorite sports heroes growing up and are still my two favorite Yankee and Giant players.

PS. I am an Air Force retiree (20 years active duty - 4 in the Corps and 16 in the Air Force). Welcome to the BBH.

jimv

Hey Sam, great to hear from another AF guy.  And, also a guy from my own era.  When the Giants left town, I eventually switched to the Mets (but Istill rooted for the Giants til Willie left). 

And, Burt  ("the Chief"), I'm sorry I missed your post the first time around.

Burt had a really GREAT set up at Giants Stadium; the BLUE BUS.  Ask him about it.  He's a great guy and loves micro-brews.  I introduced him to Shipyard from up here in Portland.

LennG

Gosh, after reading you two old fogies stories, I now feel pretty young at 63. We have always kidded Sam about him being one of the 'older' Giants fans here, but now, you may take that position. Welcome aboard Jim.
While I became a full fledge Giants fan when my beloved 'Bum's' picked up and moved West, they have been in my art since birth. YA was and still is my favorite all tiem Giant player. You upped and left Valley Stream, which is only a couple of miles from where I live now, in West Hempstead, but just so you won't feel deserted, my daughter lives in Valley Stream today. If we ever get out of  we want to retire to Vermont, we also like the cold. Once again, welcome to our little part of the internet.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Hey Lenn, I loved my years in VT, but give a try in ME.  VT is GREAT Giants country and despite what the really sad Pats' fans say, there are a lot of us Giant fans still around here.  Go over to the History Board & give me your all-time Giants Team.

The Chief

Quote from: jimv on September 11, 2009, 12:32:23 AM

And, Burt  ("the Chief"), I'm sorry I missed your post the first time around.

Burt had a really GREAT set up at Giants Stadium; the BLUE BUS.  Ask him about it.  He's a great guy and loves micro-brews.  I introduced him to Shipyard from up here in Portland.

OK Jim.  Sorry I missed your anniversary!  Congrats.  I know how important your family is to you.  You always seemed to bring one of them with you to the games.  Glad we were able to hook up.  Hope we can accomplish that again.

Had a friend and colleague whose name you might recall....Air Force Sgt. John Levitow.  While in Washington for the first inauguration of young Bush I visited his grave at Arlington.  He was a Medal of Honor recipient.

Joeker

Hey Jim, hey Chief!!!  Just thought I'd check in here, looks like this thread is the place to start (transferring from IF)

1)  What part of the Country do you live in?

Manassas in Northern VA (Redskins territory)

2)  How long have you been a Giants fan?

Probably since the late 70's/early 80's.  Growing up in the catskills (Warwick, NY), we spent a lot of time outdoors and didn't watch TV much on Sundays.

3)  What do you do for a living?

Systems Engineer for a large defense contractor, mostly IT stuff.

4) Anything else you would like to mention about yourself?

Graduated with Engineering degree from Hofstra Univ (1984).  Attended OTS and spent 7.5 years in USAF.  Have been in VA area ever since.  Got a wife of 21 years and three kids (boy 20, girl 17, boy, 14).  My oldest is shipping off with the Navy in Jan 2010.  I have been absolutely obsessed with the NY Giants for quite some time now.

Long live the Tailgate Club!!!

bedl365

jimv

OK, this is GREAT!!  We're really starting the TAILGATERS comin' aboard.  I LOVE IT!  GREAT guys on this  site.  Check out my last post on the TAILGATE.

Burt, that's my youngest daughter who comes with me to the games.  She's married now so her husband comes too.  I remember your telling me about Sgt. Levitow.  God bless him & may he rest in peace!  I'd love to hook up again.

joe, you never said you're an AF guy.  That just gives me another reason to like you.  Best of luck to your son.

Jim143

"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

Joeker

Long live the Tailgate Club!!!

Jim143

yea - hate the fact that it is a 4:15 game. . .just makes the day longer. . .
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."