News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messiah717

I don't dispute the picks at the time but like you guys have said.  Watching them at the NHL level you just see nothing that screams superstar.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Messiah717 on October 21, 2023, 06:10:10 AMI don't dispute the picks at the time but like you guys have said.  Watching them at the NHL level you just see nothing that screams superstar.

Completely true.

As Jaime said, eye test wise Kakko shows me a little bit more (or has in the past). He can hold the puck for a long time, shows some ability in the corners, and can be ok around the net. However he also has months on end where you basically don't hear his name.

With Laffy nothing from the eye test screams above average from a talent perspective. He's not fast, he's not big, he's not some amazing stick handler, he is nothing special on the PP, and he's not a standout finisher. There's just nothing there. Amazing that this kid had Bedard level hype when he came in.

Giant Obsession

Right now for me Kaako is a definite keeper and worth the playing time investment.

The other two I just shake my head.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Obsession on October 21, 2023, 10:43:03 AMRight now for me Kaako is a definite keeper and worth the playing time investment.

The other two I just shake my head.

When you say the "other two" do you mean Lafreniere and Chytil? I know Laffy is one, but I wasn't sure the other. I assume Chytil. Is that right?

Giant Obsession

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 21, 2023, 10:49:50 AMWhen you say the "other two" do you mean Lafreniere and Chytil? I know Laffy is one, but I wasn't sure the other. I assume Chytil. Is that right?

Yes, Chytil though I am really pulling for him as I do the other two.  They all seem to have their moments, but not nearly enough of them.

Lafeniere is the huge disappointment though I will admit that is probably my frustration with the fact I see no elevation in the team overall the last couple of years while the bottom dwellers seem ready to overtake us i.m.o.

I am just one damn frustrated fan.  Firing Torts and then Davidson are just daggers in my Ranger soul.

Hiring Sather years ago was an unholy nightmare.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Jaime

Man, was Quick quick tonite! Not a busy nite for our our new Backup (17 shots) but he was sharp, only letting up one Goal.
Another 180 degree turn around from our blowout loss to Nashville. We smothered Seattle end to end for a 4-1 W to start our five game west coast swing.
Bread controlled the game every time he was on time he was on the ice, with two Tallies and a helper. Things went so well for us, even Kakko and Laffy scored.

Weird game with a portion of the lighting causing a late start, and remained off for the entire game. Teams had to switch ends at the midway through each Period as to not provide a sight advantage in Goal. Never knew Marchand could handle himself with the gloves off. He pummeled his opponent with ease.
After an away game across three time zones off the heels of a brutal home loss, we should be feeling much better about our Blueshirts thus far.

kartanoman

Quote from: Jaime on October 22, 2023, 01:24:30 AMMan, was Quick quick tonite! Not a busy nite for our our new Backup (17 shots) but he was sharp, only letting up one Goal.
Another 180 degree turn around from our blowout loss to Nashville. We smothered Seattle end to end for a 4-1 W to start our five game west coast swing.
Bread controlled the game every time he was on time he was on the ice, with two Tallies and a helper. Things went so well for us, even Kakko and Laffy scored.

Weird game with a portion of the lighting causing a late start, and remained off for the entire game. Teams had to switch ends at the midway through each Period as to not provide a sight advantage in Goal. Never knew Marchand could handle himself with the gloves off. He pummeled his opponent with ease.
After an away game across three time zones off the heels of a brutal home loss, we should be feeling much better about our Blueshirts thus far.

Life is good in the Pacific Time Zone (Arizona has it until daylight savings time ends and then we'll be an hour ahead of the west coast). But yeah, the light thing and all, definitely strange but, most important, it didn't create a home advantage for the Squidsters.

But the biggest takeaway is that we have a backup goaltender who is delivering results early in the season. I know we're pissy about losing to Nashville and Columbus, but remember last season the Rangers lost their first eight or nine games when Halak played and then he went gangbusters with that winning streak. Quick is giving the Rangers wins early which are making up for those early season Halak losses last year at this time. The Rangers also seem to have the Squids' number as they do well against them.

A good start to this early season Northwestern Canadian road trip which takes them to a very difficult matchup in Calgary on Tuesday, then Edmonton on Thursday, Vancouver on Saturday and finishing up in Winnipeg Monday 10/30. If they can take three of five, it will be a successful trip. Would love to see them finally break through the Flames and Jets goalies and steal wins out of their respective buildings. Also, Edmonton won't be easy either.

They finish this tough road trip only to welcome Carolina into the Garden upon their return, oh joy. A good test to see how they hold up against some of the better teams in the league.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Nice win. I didn't stay up for the game, but I just watched the extended highlights. Seems like we did a nice job defensively in this game, allowing fewer than 20 shots.

While these West Coast trips are never easy, I like that we have a couple days off now and don't play again until Tuesday. Gives us some time to adjust to the time zone and get settled in in Calgary before we play them on Tues night.

EDjohnst1981

Just finished watching the game. I thought Quick was solid and nice to see Chytil explode with a 3 point game. That assist to Laf was awesome.

kartanoman

Wow-wee! A win in the Saddledome is like being a kid again on Christmas morning! A sleep-walking start to the game erupted in the second period with the three goals and outstanding goaltending by Igor to close out a big win which was their first since 2018.

Going to Edmonton would be a difficult endeavor under any circumstances. But it has been confirmed that the Oilers will be without Connor McDavid on Thursday, due to his "upper body" injury sustained against the Jets. The Oilers will be arriving from Minnesota late tonight after losing to the Wild 7-4.

For once, lady luck appears to be shining on the Rangers as they knock out their longest road trip of the season, to start the season, and have dispatched one of the two teams they never seem to beat (i.e. Calgary. The other is Winnipeg coming up on the 30th). One game at a time, but this road trip is looking like the perfect ice-breaking session for the new players who are starting to look comfortable as New York Rangers.

Very pleased with tonight's performance.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

For whatever reason I had a sub-optimal night's sleep on Monday night, so I didn't stay up for this one. Glad to see they got the W. Two straight road wins. I was feeling a little bit optimistic about this one because they did have a nice break, not having played since Saturday, so hopefully they are now pretty much in sync with the time zone and just travel in general.

Good game for Shesty it looks like. I think it's important that he get into a rhythm. If this team is going to be any sort of legitimate contender this year, it is imperative that he play the way he did two years ago. He needs to be great, not just good. Without him being elite, forget it.

babywhales

With the late start 8:45 here in Sconin I got home from the rink got my dinner and turned it on just as the puck was dropped. I will be honest Calgary set the tone for this game with fast high paced, high energy game; I wasn't sure the Rangers would match them. 

Shesty gave up the first shot of the game on a turn over 7' in front of the net.  Starting looking like the game last season. 
Igor put it behind him and just keep building from there, he looked real good.  He made 3-4 sick beautiful saves through the game. 

Rangers really just kept coming at the Flames. Beating the Flames and their best penalty kill in the NHL on their first 2 power plays (I think).  

Chytill was impressive and Schneider made some real nice plays at key moments as well. 

Not the best recap but it was a solid game the Rangers took over and I must admit I was real glad to get to see the game with the west coast start. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

DaveBrown74

Quote from: babywhales on October 25, 2023, 08:45:22 AMWith the late start 8:45 here in Sconin I got home from the rink got my dinner and turned it on just as the puck was dropped. I will be honest Calgary set the tone for this game with fast high paced, high energy game; I wasn't sure the Rangers would match them.

Shesty gave up the first shot of the game on a turn over 7' in front of the net.  Starting looking like the game last season.
Igor put it behind him and just keep building from there, he looked real good.  He made 3-4 sick beautiful saves through the game.

Rangers really just kept coming at the Flames. Beating the Flames and their best penalty kill in the NHL on their first 2 power plays (I think). 

Chytill was impressive and Schneider made some real nice plays at key moments as well.

Not the best recap but it was a solid game the Rangers took over and I must admit I was real glad to get to see the game with the west coast start.

Definitely a comprehensive, helpful recap. I can only glean so much from highlight footage so this was super helpful. Thank you.

kartanoman

Chytill logged three points last night. I would love seeing this type of performance from him on a more consistent basis. He's always been capable and maybe the new coach putting him alongside Panarin and Lafrenière is going to jump start something special this season. The Flames had no answer for them in the second period.

One other observation and that is the weird lighting in the Saddledome. I guess you had to watch the game to understand what I'm talking about, but they had a red lighting show going on before periods which makes sense. But during the game the light on the ice is supposed to be white (5000k, I believe). The lighting effects guy was changing the "warmth" setting of the lights from "warm" (2700k) to "cool" (5000k) and back and forth throughout the game. It was crazy and annoying to watch. There were light issues in Seattle as well. So, not sure what's going on with the lights in the Pacific Northwest or up in the Northwest Tundra of Canada these days, but hoping the light shows don't continue in Edmonton tomorrow night!

Peace!

Jaime

Again, Quick was quick in recording a Shutout in our 3-0 W over the Oilers =D>
What a West Coast road trip!